What does BDs’ victory really mean?

The %'s I'm referring to are Michael Boo's estimations from the Finals Blog for both years.

Here's the link to the 2012 blog.

11:30php3SfUU3boo_head_bio.jpgspacer.gifMichael Boo: Unfortunately, perhaps only 10% of the audience is left in the stands to witness it. Michael Reed from yesterday's Semifinals blog concurs with that figure.

11:30php3SfUU3boo_head_bio.jpgspacer.gifMichael Boo: If anyone wants to get a great seat for the run-through, they can pretty much write their own ticket.

Here's the link to the 2011 blog.

11:21phpC1P6mHboo_head_bio.jpgspacer.gifMichael Boo: I think at least half the audience is staying on to hear the encore.

11:21phpC1P6mHboo_head_bio.jpgspacer.gifMichael Boo: That says a lot.

The fans sure didn't seem to be in a rush to get to their car last year. I had a 9am flight the next morning but I certainly would have stayed if Crown had won.

I'm quite certain the number matched 2010

When I feel I'm not up to speed on a show, I try what I can to research the creative elements to enlighten my viewpoint. It often works, and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, I feel I need to try harder.

a key point. many fans only have that one shot to see a corps, and often don't want to research. they want to go and be engaged. this is where I feel BD and several others have missed the mark. You research because you cover the events. Many fans get their one shot to see a DCI show when it rolls into town, and that's it

• Like 1

a key point. many fans only have that one shot to see a corps, and often don't want to research. they want to go and be engaged. this is where I feel BD and several others have missed the mark. You research because you cover the events. Many fans get their one shot to see a DCI show when it rolls into town, and that's it

Very true. A good show should be able to be watched once, and have people understand and enjoy it. Madison this year is a good example, same with SCV and Spirit and Crossmen and Cadets. BK, BD, even Crown not so much. Most fans get one read on a show, and if they don't get it, they don't get it.

Now, there are some timeless, great shows that I will watch multiple times to pick up on all of the tiny little layers that go on in the show, (Crown and BD '08 are great examples of this), but if it's not a show that grabs me the first time, there isn't much of a chance I'll go back and study it, and I'm a pretty big drum corps nerd. I've actually gone in and taken notes on what makes some shows work and makes others don't, so I'm not a normal fan. And if a show doesn't grab me, it doesn't grab me. Fans shouldn't have to research, or have some esoteric knowledge base before walking into a show.

by people on DCP, and friends of people on DCP who are no where near the majority of drum corps fans

Crown had a great show, but that means only Crown had a great show. Foo Fighters sell way more records than Tenacious D, but arguably both bands are great in their own right (note: it is inarguable that The D is great. They are: accept it)

* many people saying they don't like the direction the Blue Devils have gone with show design since the mid-2000's.

again, Crown has great and the fan favorite. Doesn't mean Blue Devils weren't great or appreciated/liked by many.

Last year's show has zero bearing on Blue Devils crowd appeal from this year

Where was that?! I haven't seen that posted anywhere can you please post a link that I must've missed?

Has anyone said this?!

Saying "Blue Devils' were great and I loved their show in 2012" does not mean "I loved Crown's show more than Blue Devils." Like is not mutually exclusive to one brand/show.

All ture......

Edited by GUARDLING

hmmmm i dont remember 50 % staying in 2011..i actually remember people running for the doors . I dont think the encore is what it used to be at any show.....people leave to get on the road, eat, party, with the internet and smart phones you can get scores in your car

Revisionist history always makes me giggle. I do gotta hand it to the couple BD supporters, who will suspend all reality in their defense. Hey, it's ok - BD won with a show that was not widely popular with crowds. The fact that you can't seem to face up to that is very entertaining to me, and the lengths you'll go to to try to refute it are funny.

• Like 2

Revisionist history always makes me giggle. I do gotta hand it to the couple BD supporters, who will suspend all reality in their defense. Hey, it's ok - BD won with a show that was not widely popular with crowds. The fact that you can't seem to face up to that is very entertaining to me, and the lengths you'll go to to try to refute it are funny.

Reality is in the eye of the beholder around DCP. I made special effort to compare 2010 and 2011 run-through audience numbers and I saw very little difference. I also saw very little difference between 2009 & 2010. I'm sure others (you) may see it differently...but I promise not to accuse you of revisionism.

• Like 1

Very true. A good show should be able to be watched once, and have people understand and enjoy it. Madison this year is a good example, same with SCV and Spirit and Crossmen and Cadets. BK, BD, even Crown not so much. Most fans get one read on a show, and if they don't get it, they don't get it.

Now, there are some timeless, great shows that I will watch multiple times to pick up on all of the tiny little layers that go on in the show, (Crown and BD '08 are great examples of this), but if it's not a show that grabs me the first time, there isn't much of a chance I'll go back and study it, and I'm a pretty big drum corps nerd. I've actually gone in and taken notes on what makes some shows work and makes others don't, so I'm not a normal fan. And if a show doesn't grab me, it doesn't grab me. Fans shouldn't have to research, or have some esoteric knowledge base before walking into a show.

and not everyone that goes to a show is a super drum corps nerd.hell I'm one of those and I don't research it.

thats where you got it wrong..ive almost never been a BD fan even BITD...im just telling it as I see it...and Ive been on tour all summer at regionals as well as PO DUNK america...there are also many more than a few BD suporters , they may not indulge in the DCP scene but they are there a well as many young new fans.

Was it a widley popular show? no....does it matter that EVERYONE didnt like it NOPE....that can also be said of every single corps out there......now I guess you'll tell be the %s and averages...dont bother its not all that important :smile:

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

Reality is in the eye of the beholder around DCP. I made special effort to compare 2010 and 2011 run-through audience numbers and I saw very little difference. I also saw very little difference between 2009 & 2010. I'm sure others (you) may see it differently...but I promise not to accuse you of revisionism.

theres no room for diversity in thinking....dont you know,, its always the majority, people around a given person, everyone they know, and lets not forget those oh so accurate surveys :rolleyes: lol