What does BDs’ victory really mean?

True story. We've even seen the Cadets take from every genre of music to do shows. Even in the last ten years. We've seen film scores, Broadway tunes, classical literature, jazz, swing, ragtime, folk music, acid rock, ballet, even Christmas music.

Every corps must be versatile in order to be competitive and successful. There is no corps in last year's Top 12 that has only ever played one genre of music for their entire history.

I don't know what you mean by "marching on a bicycle," but Phantom got pretty jazzy with Maynard Ferguson's version of "Pagliacci" in 1991 and with their Gershwin show in 2005.

Dude, the 1977 version of Pagliacci was pretty smoking. They jazzed that one up, even with a screaming soprano solo.

Also, see Phantom 2009. Benny Goodman section right in the middle

• Like 1

Dude, the 1977 version of Pagliacci was pretty smoking. They jazzed that one up, even with a screaming soprano solo.

Also, see Phantom 2009. Benny Goodman section right in the middle

Thanks for the tips! Sounds like Pagliacci 1991 was a scaled down version of the 1977 arrangement. Yeah, I'm pretty sure Leoncavallo didn't write it as a swing chart.

As for 2009, yeah! That swings even harder than the others.

Yes they are versatile. But I can't agree with the snippet I have quoted. They are very clean, yes, but from a content standpoint, I have to say that Michael Shapiro's guard does more, if not the most in DCI. At the moment, that is Blue Stars, I believe.

Sorry to nitpick, but I couldn't let that go.

I like how you're sure Michael Shapiro's guard is the best, even though you're not sure which one that is. Now that's confidence! It must be the best because it's his. You probably should compare them visually before deciding... just a thought. :-)

I would agree that BD's guard has less content than at least Blue Stars and Crown. Technically they are better but had at least one hola hoop and rifle drop. Still that's DaDa I guess :-)

I like how you're sure Michael Shapiro's guard is the best, even though you're not sure which one that is. Now that's confidence! It must be the best because it's his. You probably should compare them visually before deciding... just a thought. :-)

If I was arguing they were the best, you'd be absolutely right. But you might want to re-read my post and make sure you understand it before replying- just a thought :-).

I said he writes the most work, because every year that I've known where he was (I am not sure about 2012), they have had the most content. Certainly in 2010 and 2011 when he was with Blue Stars.

I just wasn't sure where he was last year. But with the work their guard was doing, I would bet he was still in la Crosse.

I would agree that BD's guard has less content than at least Blue Stars and Crown. Technically they are better but had at least one hola hoop and rifle drop. Still that's DaDa I guess :-)

I didn't notice any dropped hula-hoops except at semi's, and East Rutherford which turned out to be an exhibition and it may have been wet. While I was hardly a fan of "Cabaret Voltaire" the hula-hoops, or as I was corrected "ring" action was impressive. As far as a rifle dropping, this may have been "Dada." I noticed that the same rifle was dropped in Allentown, East Rutherford, prelims, semi's, and finals, at the same time in each show.

Thanks for the tips! Sounds like Pagliacci 1991 was a scaled down version of the 1977 arrangement. Yeah, I'm pretty sure Leoncavallo didn't write it as a swing chart.

As for 2009, yeah! That swings even harder than the others.

Yeah, the 1991 version was a scaled down version, in order to fit more with the style of show design going on. You couldn't really park everyone for an entire tune and have them play their brains out anymore, so they had to scale it down so they could throw a great visual program in.

The 2009 show was actually better musically than many people give it credit for. And that swing section proved that Phantom could be very versatile.

good to know you represent all like 50,000 people that saw the show finals weekendtongue.gif

Well, I was at finals night. The crowd was clearly wanting Crown to win. Michael Boo even said that the crowd was trying to will Crown to a win. And after the scores were announced, I probably heard b######t about 5 times as I was walking past random people when leaving the stadium. Also, look at DCP forum archives from last year, there wasn't any angst over the Cadets winning it all last year like there is this year.

I know Blue Devil fans think this is about other fans being jealous but that is not the case. The championship winning show doesn't have to be my favorite show of the finals. But it does have to be in my top 5 and the last 4 Blue Devil championship winning shows have been so blah to me. That's why I'm so frustrated with them winning.

Edit by MikeD: attempted filter circumvention

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1

Absolutely not. BD is simply not as versatile as other corps. And many corps aren't that versitle. Like I said only 2 truly are. And I didn't say BD couldn't do a Romeo and Juliet show I said they couldn't tell te story of Romeo and Juliet as well as phantom could. In that I'm saying BD has strengths but other corps have strengths over BD too. It's not like BD is better than everyone at every aspect of drum corps just because they won.

Gotcha, BD takes 2nd with a show theme that many years later Phantom used to place 4th. And BD can't tell the story as well. Keep talking with your ears plugged my friend.

• Like 1