Measurement of Crowd Enthusiasm in General Effect

I'm sure this would put the activity in the news.

Left-leaning news sites: "People have the constitutional right to throw pretend babies!"

Right-leaning news sites: "Throwing pretend babies will always lead to throwing real babies- this is an outrage!"

The only question is; at what point does dollhood start? When the hair is sewn in? When the shoes are glued on?

• Like 1

4 words. Tyranny of the majority.

..is FAR better than tyranny of the minority.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 1

It is on "irregardless Fridays". That's the day of the week you get to pull out the best butchered English you can muster.

word yo

• Like 1

The only question is; at what point does dollhood start? When the hair is sewn in? When the shoes are glued on?

Well, considering that I just conceived the idea a day or so ago, I'd say that was the beginning of dollhood for all babydolls thrown onto a drum corps field.

Everything before then was just dating and living together.:tongue:

• Like 1

Fan voting didn't cut it in the 2011's Tour of Champion shows. Did DCI really think that would work? It's no wonder why the fan voting element was taken out of the 2012 TOC shows because it didn't work.

Unless you want cookie-cutter shows, let's not put the corps into a box. Like or not, shows like BD push the envelope of the activity. It's not all about bringing fans out of their seats every minute of the production.

Don't get me wrong. One of my favorite shows this year was Jersey Surf. I'd thrown 'em a few babies. However, if every show was designed to emit that type of fan involvement, emotion... the effect would diminish. Kind of like a loud horn line that's loud all of the time. Once you're hit with a wall of volume, after a while, it can lose the effect if everything you hear is equally as loud.

I like variety. Let's continue to encourage corps to be creative in design. In the long run, everyone wins - - - and enjoys!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 3

One of my favorite shows this year was Jersey Surf. I'd thrown 'em a few babies. However, if every show was designed to emit that type of fan involvement, emotion... the effect would diminish.

I like variety.

Exactly. If every show was like Blue Devils, and designed to emit that level of... whatever...too, the effect would not only " diminish", but the Drum Corps activity would likely disappear for lack of sufficient ticket goers to sustain the activity. So I agree with you as well, that we must continue to have " variety " or else the activity would die for lack of national audience interest.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Exactly. If every show was like Blue Devils, and designed to emit that level of... whatever...too, the effect would not only " diminish", but the Drum Corps activity would likely disappear for lack of sufficient ticket goers to sustain the activity. So I agree with you as well, that we must continue to have " variety " or else the activity would die for lack of national audience interest.

yes!!!!!! diversity is a good thing

• Like 1

Fan voting didn't cut it in the 2011's Tour of Champion shows. Did DCI really think that would work? It's no wonder why the fan voting element was taken out of the 2012 TOC shows because it didn't work.

Unless you want cookie-cutter shows, let's not put the corps into a box. Like or not, shows like BD push the envelope of the activity. It's not all about bringing fans out of their seats every minute of the production.

Don't get me wrong. One of my favorite shows this year was Jersey Surf. I'd thrown 'em a few babies. However, if every show was designed to emit that type of fan involvement, emotion... the effect would diminish. Kind of like a loud horn line that's loud all of the time. Once you're hit with a wall of volume, after a while, it can lose the effect if everything you hear is equally as loud.

I like variety. Let's continue to encourage corps to be creative in design. In the long run, everyone wins - - - and enjoys!

What Crown did this year did more to push the activity than what BD did and I'm not even a Crown honk.

This argument is thrown around alot, and I use it alot too, but there isn't anyone on DCP asking for less variety! People want to have that wide spectrum.

Why does it seem the corps that is most avant guard also have the highest execution scores? Why do less avant guard shows have lower execution scores? Is it just a coincidence or a twist in fate? No, avant guard shows are designed differently but are judged the same way as non-avant guard and that does present a huge advantage. The judges are better at seeing inconsistencies in shows that resemble past shows or use traditional visual and musical methods. There prowess in these shows means there critique will be more detailed. Judges have less experience with avant guard shows and much the same criticism of form development, transitions, audience engagement, visual audio coordination, effect, etc. cannot directly translate.

But anyway I don't want to derail the thread! So I will say that throwing baby dolls can get messy!

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

yes!!!!!! diversity is a good thing

How is a wooden ship supposed to help anything?

What Crown did this year did more to push the activity than what BD did and I'm not even a Crown honk.

This argument is thrown around alot, and I use it alot too, but there isn't anyone on DCP asking for less variety! People want to have that wide spectrum.

Why does it seem the corps that is most avant guard also have the highest execution scores? Why do less avant guard shows have lower execution scores? Is it just a coincidence or a twist in fate? No, avant guard shows are designed differently but are judged the same way as non-avant guard and that does present a huge advantage. The judges are better at seeing inconsistencies in shows that resemble past shows or use traditional visual and musical methods. There prowess in these shows means there critique will be more detailed. Judges have less experience with avant guard shows and much the same criticism of form development, transitions, audience engagement, visual audio coordination, effect, etc. cannot directly translate.

But anyway I don't want to derail the thread! So I will say that throwing baby dolls can get messy!

What did Crown do, exactly?

And where is this abundance of avant guard shows? I think Suncoast Sound 1988, Star 1993 and Blue Devils 2012 are the only shows I can think of that went far against the grain.

• Like 1