HS marching band show controversy

I think the problem is that it’s a public high school (age, public funding)

But yeah, DCI corps have opened themselves to controversy but it’s the select nature of our audience that mutes it from the general publics’ scrutiny, many people approach it as art so they tend to be more accepting…where as at a High School game, not the case

I don’t get why the High School caved so quickly, could have been a ‘teaching moment’

But of course, DCI corps could open themselves to such political controversy on an international scale due to programming choices, Allah flags anyone?

Cadets in 2012 caught but a few grumbles for presenting a show that arguably promoted Christianity. How would a show that promoted Islam or even atheism be received?

Not so sure a Drum Corps show promoting Islam would win over US audiences as well as a show that promoted Chistianity, for obvious reasons... and I know that a show in an Islamic Country with a Theocracy would get the Show Designer beheaded for promoting ( for example ) a theme promoting Coptic Christianity. Its already occurred.. more than once as well. That said, you asked how would a show on " atheism " be received, and my initial thought is " well, wasn't the DCI Title winning show for 2012 revolving around Dadaism promoting "atheism " as the group's favored view among the gathered Dadaists in post WW1 Zurich ? And it seemed to be no impediment for the Blue Devils with the USA DCI judges, would you agree ?

Edited by BRASSO

Mike Boo and N.E. Brig...yours is a great discussion to watch, it's nice to see Boo's serious side, and I think THAT discussion is equally as valid as the original post. Fun stuff.

And on topic, let's not forget that the aim of some of the DCI corps is to appeal to high school players and their parents for future members and support. It's reasonable to think that not all of those new participants will have the history of DCI performance to quell their desire to cry foul.

Unintended consequences?

I think the problem is that it's a public high school (age, public funding)

But yeah, DCI corps have opened themselves to controversy but it's the select nature of our audience that mutes it from the general publics' scrutiny, many people approach it as art so they tend to be more accepting…where as at a High School game, not the case

I don't get why the High School caved so quickly, could have been a 'teaching moment'

But of course, DCI corps could open themselves to such political controversy on an international scale due to programming choices, Allah flags anyone?

Oh my!

That said, you asked how would a show on "atheism" be received, and my initial thought is, "Well, wasn't the DCI title-winning show for 2012 revolving around Dadaism promoting 'atheism', as the group's favored view among the gathered Dadaists in post-WWI Zurich?" And it seemed to be no impediment for the Blue Devils with the judges, would you agree?

While the Dadaists may largely have been atheists, that didn't come across in BD's show. If BD's designers even considered the subject, they may have rejected it for the very reasons we're discussing: too much of a turn-off for too much of the audience.* Or perhaps because they disagreed with that aspect of Dadaism: just because you create a show around a particular subject doesn't mean you endorse every aspect of that subject.

*Not all of the audience, of course. Some might have enjoyed it: I seem to remember a joke or two on these forums about putting feet on the Icthys symbol in the Cadets show.

• Like 1

It seems the more society evolves, the more everyone feels the need to be politically correct. So many issues are not discussed for fear of offending someone to the point where complete topics are no longer discussed. On top of this, being in a litigious society means that not only does one run the risk of offending someone, there are financial penalties that may occur as a result.

This is a small marching band that made a big effort to do as much for the theme of their show as they can. Regardless of the accuracy of what they were portraying, they just wanted to do well. The fact they won a contest made it all the better.

There are comments on the Daily Mail page about kids being indoctrinated. This is so completely blown out of proportion that it's almost comical except for the fact that apparently the kids in the band are extremely disappointed that their show had to be changed. After all it's just a band show.

That's something I would expect to read in The Onion.

I don’t get why the High School caved so quickly, could have been a ‘teaching moment’

Election is in a few weeks and #1 criteria for becoming a School Board member in PA.

Get more votes than the other person.

"My opponent supported a band show that glorified the Russian Revolution" nuff said... especially in that area. And most school board members either have a regular job or retired. IOW have enough trouble finding/making time to deal with budgets, cutbacks, teachers, state paperwork, etc, etc, etc. And lets face it, extra activies like band are seen as a money drain (even if self supported). Not quite the time to PO the community.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I am extremely offended by football. It promotes violence and studies show schools who promote this sport have a higher rate of crime and violence. It causes concussions and hurts the grass. The activity makes kids wear big padded clown outfits with bright colored "special" head gear. I am truly offended because it teaches high school kids that violence is ok. They should change the game to flag football or two hand touch. Maybe not two hand touch because that may promote the Dover school district's agenda.......they already offend me - can we change them as well?........I am also offended by the school board - let's change them out too.

I blame Obama for all of this.

I blame blue M & M's

I think everyone should sign a petition and hand it in - that will work - not!

and I'm ranting -

As music educators we are taught to cross curricular teach. Because the other teachers are not doing their job well enough, music teachers are often told to incorporate other subject material into our lessons. I think the ACLU could have some fun here and the benefit would be the band.

• Like 2