Cadets show to be edited

Geoff

The thing that sticks for me are the words "we expected such."

I agree that music/recording rights are getting out of control. I also completely understand that it's a lot of work AND takes a lot of time to apply/fight for said rights.

What I don't understand is the above comment. The person who sent the letter has indicated the effort to get the rights and because they were not attainable, the additional effort to modify the audio/video contents because they were not attainable.

Knowing everything the activity has been through lately because of this issue, why would the expectation be on DCI to have to go over and above the effort to get these rights when the opinion was "we expected such" ?

Edited by LincolnV

Is this saying that the part with the voices near the end is being muted out to complete silence, so the music won't be heard either?

the way I read it that will be the case on the video, but on the audio the will edit out the section so that means there won't be a gap but it will just skip from before the voice to after the voice. so continuity in the music will be off.

Just curious...would anyone be upset, if, to keep the flow of the recording going, towards the end of the season a corps would record those snippets of the show that might present licensing problems and then offer them for audio substitution if the need arises? Yes, it wouldn't be a pure Finals performance, but it would be more seamless than hearing total silence for several seconds. Thought?

• Like 2

Or have someone from the corps say it, and not use the original...maybe?

There was a question on this thread that I don't think got answered yet. Editing out the voice, also edits out ALL audio, doesn't it? Not just the voice?

This is disappointing..I thought we had learned our lesson...

they should be able to edit out just the voice

By getting started as far in advance as necessary to obtain the required licensing.

Evidently, the use of electronic samples has gotten out of control - in several ways. If rights to voice samples are going to have the same impact on audio and video products as music rights, then they should be subject to the same policies.

Also, DCI and the corps should look into developing an even more proactive approach to identifying these issues. Not much you can do about licensing problems when you discover them in the fall. Issues that impact audio and video need to be flagged before finals night. If they were, the Cadets could have altered their design to remove the voice segments, or recorded their own instead of copying existing soundtracks. (And what happened to fair use?)

amen. they key is having your #### together in November. yes changes happen, but most coprs know about the changes way in advance and have them planned...so you can work on licensing.

This can't be a huge shock to anyone. When they shoehorned all that in, I was wondering if they actually had the rights to any of it. Not the best thinking by their design staff.

The effect of that section was marginal at best and it certainly injected some cheese that wasn't there before. I preferred the music they played under the vocals, but I guess that will be axed too.

I agree on the effectiveness.

• Like 1

Why ever would they do that? I don't see anyone asking for them to remove the 1st trumpet part of a section of the show. The Cadets show included the material being edited on the DVD...I wish that did not have to happen, but at least anyone who saw them live where it really matters got to see and hear the show they wanted to present.

So you're saying the it doesn't really matter unless you've seen it live.

Wow! What I saw last year really didn't MATTER.... blink.gif

• Like 1

Is this saying that the part with the voices near the end is being muted out to complete silence, so the music won't be heard either?

I hope this isn't the case. My Christmas list includes the download of the Cadets 2012 show. Please, no more edit-outs of drum corps shows!!!

• Like 1