Dear DCA Board

By this statement you're insinuating that ALL of the DCA corps should be accoutable for the actions of one organization and by such actions you're insinuating that all DCA corps behave in the same manner. If you have an issue with DCA as a whole because of what the Renegades did, Than you're simply misguided. Corps like Reading, Hawthorne, and MBI wouldn't be where they are if they put caution to the wind. Reputation is all you have in the end. And its clear Renegades didn't respect that or they wouldn't find themselves in this position. The more I read how this has been handled by the people from Renegades the more I side with the decision.

actually no. the reputation of any corps can rub off on others. guilt by association happens when it comes to reputation

• Like 1

We allegedly have it narrowed down to a hotel incident.

This was alleged on the Renegades' own Facebook page by Greg Gilman, their vice president, according to this post on DCP: "Our housing site complained, and DCA’s decision was to suspend the Renegades from DCA competition in 2013".

If the Renegades don't want people speculating about their possible misdeeds and the suitability of the punishment, they should be more forthcoming than that Facebook post or the comments here by Mr. Rudnicki. As far as most observers can tell, they have neither defended themselves against the charge of "conduct detrimental to the good and welfare" of DCA (to use DCA's phrase) if they think that charge unfair, nor apologized for said conduct if they do not.

Likewise, if DCA doesn't want people complaining that the penalty imposed on the Renegades is too severe, or that the penalty was posed arbitrarily, as Mr. Rudnicki has claimed here, they too would be more forthcoming.

As it stands, most of us don't know what happened, why it led to so severe a penalty (e.g., did the Annapolis visitors bureau put pressure on DCA?), nor --as previously noted-- whether there was any punishment short of a year's suspension that DCA could have imposed.

• Like 1

The agreement between the Renegades and DCA as DCA understood it to be was that it was not to be discussed.

Then why would DCA release this before any of these threads started?

I for one am not clear on which organization announced this first.

DCP learned of the Renegades' suspension on Oct. 9 at 1:32 p.m., thanks to this post said to be copied from Renegades' Facebook page. (I'm not on Facebook, so I cannot confirm this myself.)

That DCA press release to which you link, although it refers to a decision being made on Oct. 1, was actually posted on Oct. 9 at 4:23 p.m.

So Renegades would appear to have announced first, by a few hours.

Then why would DCA release this before any of these threads started?

As was said. It was bad form by both parties, not just the Renegades.

I looked hard to find the date on the release you pointed us toward, but alas couldn't find one. My information was gleaned more from Lees original post in the I thread. I will paste it here for you:

A former board member of the Renegades, who was not at DCA 2012, was in discussions with DCA about this. He agreed with DCA, the Renegades would be suspended. Everybody also agreed at that time to not tell anyone about the suspension, other than maybe the Renegades board at some point. Plan -- the Renegades would simply not go to DCA 2013, without explanation. No one was going to tell the activity that a corps got kicked out, and no one told the 100 innocent Renegades who were affected by this decision. I know this was no grand cover up evil scheme by DCA, you're good guys. This was a case of people trying their best in a scary and stupid situation

Now of course your assertion as to who said something first relies heavily upon DCP being the only public forum where this could have been discussed since you only mention these threads.

Upon further review, you and I only disagree on how this should be handled as far as any public out-crying by either party. I do not believe there are any choir boys in this situation just as there are really no winners either. It is sad, unfortunate and needs to be handled from this point forward with the utmost poise, class and with great understanding by ALL PARTIES INVOLVED.

This is in no way directed toward ANYONE ON THESE FORUMS (LOL) But the above statement would be the classiest way for others involved in our activity but not personally involved or in the know about the happenings to handle things as well. Instead of picking at a scab, think of how you might feel being a corps member who does not get to march DCA even though you are in your 50's, but heck, lets up the anti... Maybe they are in their 30's or 40's and that you made sure you got plenty of rest, abstained from alcohol and unsavory behavior, kept your nose clean and showed respect where it was proper. Then you get the news that you and your group, the only one in your area... Do not get to come back next year.

So you miss drum corps, you go to DCP and read conjecture and threads about child molestation all revolving about the group that you love and enjoy.

I'm thinking you might not like that...

So although you all have every right to dig and pick and scratch, in the name of all things, freedom.... It doesn't make it the right thing to do with people with whom you share such a rare common bond. The bond that most, even my wife do not understand... The experience of being forged from steel by spending months and months sweating and bleeding together for a common cause... The cause called Drum Corps.

So you miss drum corps, you go to DCP and read conjecture and threads about child molestation all revolving about the group that you love and enjoy.

I'm thinking you might not like that...

And I'll repeat again that the posts about Sandusky were a side discussion and 3 or 4 people involved in said discussion posted that this had nothing to do with the Renegades.

All posts, including the complaint were removed....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

No one is owed an explanation or an apology...

They are now. The Renegades owe themselves an explanation. Otherwise, the corps reputation will remain as "that corps that did something so hideous that DCA suspended them for a whole season".

How can a corps operate successfully with that black cloud hanging over them? Evidently, that is why the plan was to handle the suspension without a public announcement. Now that this plan is no longer an option, it is becoming increasingly obvious that the Renegades need to take ownership of their own reputation, and become the highly visible role model for not-doing-whatever-it-was-that-they-allegedly-did-at-DCA-2012.

• Like 1

Hey moderators, can this thread go away? It is serving absolutly no useful purpose at this point. I think everyone has had their say. Let's put this one to bed please.

How are those winter recruiting plans going for everyone!? :) :) :)

Dan

• Like 2

I looked hard to find the date on the release you pointed us toward, but alas couldn't find one.

You can find the date of DCA's announcement (Oct. 9, as I noted above) from their main news page. Some people may be confused about the date of that announcement because it says DCA's decision to suspend was made (or was "agreed" to by Renegades) on Oct. 1.

I did concede to that a few pages back. It was said that it would be a misguided assumption to collectively associate ALL corps with the actions of one corps.

Except for the fact that DCA's history is rich with examples of exactly that...

• Like 1