The 990's

Cavaliers

Assets

Cash

Cash has remained relatively flat over the three years, at $54,801 in 2009, $41,993 in 2010, and $55,632 in 2011.

Savings and temporary cash investments

Savings has remained flat as well, at $11,459 in 2009, $11,666 in 2010, and $14,131 in 2011.

Accounts Receivable

A/R has been flat and not meaningful, at $7,103 in 2009, $0 in 2010, and $3,906 in 2011.

Prepaid expenses and deferred charges

These have declined slightly, from $16,407 in 2009, $14,957 in 2010, and $11,743 in 2011.

Total "financial" liquidity, therefor, is $73,669 (2010). So what comprises the rest of Cavaliers' Total Assets?

Cavaliers

Assets

Land, buildings, and equipment (LBE) - (cost or other basis less accumlated depreciation)

2009: $315,555

2010: $262,402

2011: $219,382

Caution here: the accounting rules allows for carrying assets at their cost basis and does not require that assets be "marked to market value". So these numbers may not reflect what the assets are actually worth in today's market.

Further, notes in the Cavies' 990's report that these assets are not land, they are "equipment" but don't specify what equipment. It could be buses and other rolling stock, it could be horns and drums, it could be adding machines and phones.

But what seems clear is that, in 2011, $219,382 of their $304,794 in Total Assets are not very liquid, may be salable at prices significantly lower than the reported numbers, and may be equipment that's essential to them fielding a corps each year.

So, it appears that the Cavaliers had an actual, liquidable "safety net" of around $85,000 in 2011.

(Remember that these numbers do not include 2012 so things may be better or worse as of today.)

Edited by garfield

If I recall, the Village of Rosemont (itself) is somewhat heavily involved in financing the Cavalier organization on an annual basis; perhaps some of the expenses (as example) are in the area of "in kind" donations such as rehearsal space, transportation/logistics, supplies, etc. Thus do not show on the organization's 990's.

I agree that it passes the smell test, but you make my point. There were 7 shows (Murf and TOC) that can't be accounted for. That's an $18,000 difference...

There were no TOC shows in 2009 and 2010, so your comment only applies to 2011.

Thanks to those who provided more precise numbers. Recalculating on that basis, I get the following results:

Cavaliers Appearance Fees

2009 - $70,000

2010 - $85,600

2011 - $105,200

Cavaliers Revenue Sharing

2009 - $97,266

2010 - $78,684

2011 - $53,925

This is not entirely surprising. The 990 shows Cavaliers getting nearly identical totals from DCI, and we know the TOC shows pay higher appearance fees. Therefore, revenue sharing must have declined at the same time appearance fees were increased.

Back to BD real quick. Could the numbers between 09 and 10 have anything to do with the big switch from Dynasty to King/Pearl/Adams?

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

Back to BD real quick. Could the numbers between 09 and 10 have anything to do with the big switch from Dynasty to King/Pearl/Adams?

Sorry to be a pain, but with a thread full of numbers, I have to ask: Which numbers are you talking about?

BTW, going back to other corps is always fine. I won't lose my place and I won't proceed until the discussion starts to die down.

I won't lose my place and I won't proceed until the discussion starts to die down.

Don't take the bait G. "Fascinating" is not a valid continuation of a conversation. Onward and upward!

Edited by Ghost

Hello

Thought I’d pop my head in and say I’ve enjoyed what I’ve read here

Looking forward to seeing more corps and seeing what they spend for their placements (g7 vs not g7 will be nice to see)

So anyone gonna spread sheet this puppy for a big picture at the end…I’m not but it’d be cool

thanks guys and garf