Who could pull of a VERY dark show?

YES. :tongue:

The Renegades would be far and away the best Corps to do such a show, imo.

But if we're talking DCI, I'd say the Blue Knights.

My top picks would be Phantom, SCV, and Carolina Crown.

Given the correct show design & music choice.... anyone.

• Like 1

Phantom, but they'd have to go back to the black unis. Wasn't BD's '95 show "dark"? I could also see Bloo doing a dark show.

• Like 1

Dark marching shows are my weakness. :devil:

Hmmm. For you my friend, I hear they are doing wonders these days with medication and therapy. :rolleyes:

+++

How about Cadets? They can simply reprise their Angels and Demons show, but this time, the demons prevail. :thumbup:

I'm probably the wrong person to answer this question. My favorite "pick me up" show is 1988 Skyriders "Sound of Music." I'm also not a fan of taking a walk on the dark side. 2011 SCV was probably my least favorite SCV show and I can't imagine the demons winning in "Angels and Demons." Phantom could pull it off if it's a story from the classical realm and could have done this in 2006 with "Faust" (Faust does not have to have a conversion and while Phantom did not use Gounod's music, the Met's most recent production has him commit suicide and wind up in hell) or 1997 with "The Ring" (what is more dark than the heavens being destroyed by fire?). Some have suggested Blue Knights. I'd like to see Blue Knights return to what has worked for them in the past and I don't see it fitting with Bluecoats' style, not because they couldn't pull it off. In general, they avoid gimmicks. Perhaps "Bones" could have a more featured role in a Crossmen show, but they'd have to remove the Malta Cross from their uniforms. There have been some shows that haven't been all that dark but I've felt like I'm in hell, but that's for another topic.

All kinds of themes can work for drum corps, and if we question this, all we have to do is look at BD's "Cabaret Voltaire" which will probably spark all kinds fresh debates when the DVD's are released next week. Judges want to see different, audiences usually want entertainment which can be a tension, but I'm not sure that a dark themed show would be an overwhelming favorite of either judges or the audience. Of course that's just me.

I want to see a drum corps do a downright evil, dark, sinister, disturbing show with dark, powerful, and emotional music. I want a theme that leaves no room for happiness, there is no happy ending, and it leaves you with chills. Something beyond Cavaliers "Mad World" or Bluecoats "Metropolis". Darker than Suncoast Sounds 1988 show. If you follow BOA, something along the lines of Broken Arrow High Schools show this year "Surrender to Hope", or LD Bell's 2006 show "The Remaning", both shows that focus on a post apocolyptic hell on earth.

Who could do it? I'd pick Bluecoats. Anyone else want to see a show like this? I've been waitng for a show like this in drum corps for awhile. Dark marching shows are my weakness. :devil:

"A Clockwork Orange" would make a wonderful dark show. And music, esp the Glorious Ninth of Ludwig Van, is central to the story. We will probably never see it however, because it is too ultra-violent.

• Like 3

1352620764[/url]' post='3227453']

My top picks would be Phantom, SCV, and Carolina Crown.

I can definitely see Phantom or SCV (I liked the '11 show) doing a great dark show but it's funny that you mention Crown because they actually stuck out in my mind as the last group that could pull it off. That's not at all a bad thing, just not their brand IMO. But I could be wrong.

Edited by crownisking
  • Like 3