Boston Crusaders invited to Presidential Inaugural Parade

I thought Boston looked and sounded great! They were a credit to the activity with drum and bugle corps prominently displayed. The cadet style sharpness projected well in the inaugural parade. They were more military than the military!

Geneve Appleknockers Whoa! Great fun corps. remember seeing them at Mission Drums at B C Stadium. Once cardinal Cushing stopped talking it was a great show. Reilly Raiders,Princemen, Caballeros, Skyliners,Connecticut Yankees

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That spectacular parade afforded the country and the world an opportunity to view the true tradition of marching music, from the Old Guard to Boston to Grambling to the high school and community bands.

Perhaps someday there will be only soundtracks and synthesizers, or simply a virtual, downloadable parade. But yesterday demonstrated the unique vitality and importance of outdoor music pageantry, with acoustic instruments played by real musicians in real time, enhanced by skilled visual auxilliary.

Long may it endure!

• Like 1

That spectacular parade afforded the country and the world an opportunity to view the true tradition of marching music, from the Old Guard to Boston to Grambling to the high school and community bands.

Perhaps someday there will be only soundtracks and synthesizers, or simply a virtual, downloadable parade. But yesterday demonstrated the unique vitality and importance of outdoor music pageantry, with acoustic instruments played by real musicians in real time, enhanced by skilled visual auxilliary.

Long may it endure!

What I really dug was the variety in marching band styles on display! We had a group that played Lady Gaga, bands with the show style like Grambling, the Fife & Drum corps, traditional groups like Boston (who, IMO, with their marching & music style + cadet style unis truly felt traditional/old school), and more modern marching bands. Not to mention the military bands, which truly are some of the best bands out there. The parade was a really great showcase of different styles of our broad activity!

What I really dug was the variety in marching band styles on display! We had a group that played Lady Gaga, bands with the show style like Grambling, the Fife & Drum corps, traditional groups like Boston (who, IMO, with their marching & music style + cadet style unis truly felt traditional/old school), and more modern marching bands. Not to mention the military bands, which truly are some of the best bands out there. The parade was a really great showcase of different styles of our broad activity!

Also got a kick out of the (at least two I caught) youth percussion groups doing their moves down the street. Know some perc people who hate it because of the beat the crap out of the head style but you can tell the kids are having a ball. Know of one in downtown Harrisburg (hope it still exists) sponsored by a Historically Black AL Post. Provides a real service to the inner city kids for a couple of reasons

Geneve Appleknockers Whoa! Great fun corps. remember seeing them at Mission Drums at B C Stadium. Once cardinal Cushing stopped talking it was a great show. Reilly Raiders,Princemen, Caballeros, Skyliners,Connecticut Yankees

That would be 1959. Ken Petersen plays a whale of a solo in Basin Street Blues on his way to Buglers and World Drum Corps Halls of Fame!

It's not too late to send the Crusaders a small donation to offset their costs.

Done!!

• Like 1

I feel a need to give a special shout out to a group of people before this thread drifts away. Yes, I was thrilled with the entire drum corps and staff before and during this parade, but I really have to single out the "Honor Guard", which for some reason, I still refer to as the American Section.

We've all seen some otherwise great drum corps either have no such section in a parade, or take it very casually. I was there in Maryland over the weekend, and I have to admit I had my concerns, if only because I can't remember seeing a "serious" section from any drum corps in a couple decades...at least during the lifetime of the current corps members.

I was happy that even though the corps already owns the flags and weapons, they still went ahead and bought brand new ones (including pole ornaments) for the parade. When the kids first stood together, I was holding my breath...they were a combination of horn players and front ensemble members, ALL born after 1990. How would they even know what to do? As a 52 year old who marched with an American Section leading the corps onto the field and standing in the front corner of the field the whole show, should I offer any suggestions? Since I didn't want to be "that kind of alumnus" I decided to bite my tongue.

I am glad I did. Within minutes, and with the help of the guard staff, the kids were all about it. "How high should we hold the flag? Where do the weapons march? Shouldn't the State flag be slightly lower? Don't let the American flag touch the ground Cody, no matter how hard the wind blows...right hand grips the pole....shakos on perfectly...."etc etc etc. I could go on and on.

And then, when I saw these kids in full uniform! There is a pic of them (and the banner) shooting around facebook..if I can figure how to post it here, I will. I know I'm showing my age with this post, but I just wanted to acknowledge this small group of kids. The corps was great in representing our activity....these particular kids were also great in showing respect to the President and the country. Thank you, Cody, Lauren, and the rest of you! You were every bit as intense as the Honor Guard that marched for President Johnson in 1965.

if the President's Own truly did not play live, they (or whoever made that decision) should be ashamed.

I have a hard time buying that one. I have a friend who plays trombone for them-- I thought about asking him if it was true but held off because I didn't want to insult him either.