G7 Update

I took a few weeks off from checking DCP and this is what I find. A very long winded threat from George Hopkins strategically placed when he believed the least number of fans would paying attention. I think he has been planning this coup d'état for some time. Quite frankly it sickens me. I have been a defender of some of his suggestions in the past but this power grab really takes the cake. I hope DCI takes a stand and treats this extortionist threat for what it is and completely rejects his demands.. If the G7 does leave I will not follow. I will continue to follow what remains of DCI and hope it lives on for years to come.

Edited by bluesman

Now THAT I agree with (key word "could"). The youtube partners program is a huge money maker for channels that average over one million viewers. And DCI does happen to have one themselves that boasts over two million video views...

http://www.youtube.com/dcifannetwork

So,.................? Why are they not capitolizing on it? I have a hint on why....anyone anyone...Buler....Buler?

I think it's presumptuous to assume that the REAL rights holders of DCI shows, the actual composers and publishing companies, would not be hyped about their stuff being on youtube. Or at the very least, I think it's possible that the costs associated with DCI changing their arrangement with publishing companies might not be worth DCI putting its videos on youtube. Remember, if DCI is going to get paid, that means someone else is also needing/wanting to get paid.

Plus, I really wonder if DCI put more legit, professionally made show videos on youtube how that would affect their Fan Network income. There is likely no quantifiable data that says A) newbies will discover DCI on youtube and will turn into paying customers for DCI, and B) if DCI high quality videos are available to current drum corps fans they would drop their FN subscriptions and DCI would lose money. Either one of those it is a possibility, and I personally see no fault in DCI wanting to save their product for FN purchasing fans.

• Like 1

Funny that Hopkins would bring this up. A man who has been trying to drive up the expenses of all corps for years. A man who has worked hard to push older corps fans out the door, while not able to replace them with fans of all of his innovations. A man who has pushed the innovations that reduced the appeal of audio/video recordings due to copyright violations. Expenses go up. Revenue goes down. All so him and his cronies can then use his self-created catastrophe to launch a coup.

And people said we were crazy conspiracy theorists years ago when we saw this coming.

LOL so much win here. :worthy:

No. It is fact. There is no need to do a lot of the things they do now in this day and age.

They can be much more lean simply by utilizing much more technology and restructuring things in a much more flexible way. I've explained this in depth in other posts.

To be fair, Fan Network is not exactly in 1996... but closer to 2006 than now. There are much better options out there now...

More money could be made from putting videos on Youtube as a content partner than could be made from the Fan Network.

Daniel:

You are a person of great passion. How about drawing up an abbreviated abstract of your ideas, including how they could be implemented and maximized, and laying it out for us? I know if there are better ways of getting across the message we're trying to deliver, I'd like to know about the options. It would at least be food for thought as we plan for drum corps in the post-Mayan Apocalypse.

No. It is fact. There is no need to do a lot of the things they do now in this day and age.

They can be much more lean simply by utilizing much more technology and restructuring things in a much more flexible way. I've explained this in depth in other posts.

To be fair, Fan Network is not exactly in 1996... but closer to 2006 than now. There are much better options out there now...

More money could be made from putting videos on Youtube as a content partner than could be made from the Fan Network.

Hi Daniel,

I'm not even going to begin to defend the look & feel, usability, etc. etc. We all know very well where that stands, and I don't think it needs to be rationalized.

However, I can assure you that we do have our fingers in the YouTube pie. As it relates to overall revenue, I can absolutely assure you that more dollars come in the door as a subscription service than any way of being a YouTube content partner could ever bring in. If joining forces with YT would get more money in the door, bang. Done. No question. The reason that the Fan Network has evolved into being essentially a paywall is that what's behind the paywall is something best monetized by subs.

I can assure you that we are actively researching options to maximize the value there. We have been lauded for our ability to make money unlike most people who do this sort of thing. In fact, I've even spoken at a conference about how good our live products are relative to the market today. Aesthetics aside, the video product is nearly state of the art, and what we achieve on the dimes we spend is actually a model for other for-profit businesses.

So rest assured in the online department, the bitstreams are being capitalized on with our direct audience in an optimized way, and we are aware of how the landscape moves as it relates to delivery, and its cost effectiveness.

Now, back to my popcorn. :)

• Like 8

Now THAT I agree with (key word "could"). The youtube partners program is a huge money maker for channels that average over one million viewers. And DCI does happen to have one themselves that boasts over two million video views...

http://www.youtube.com/dcifannetwork

So,.................? Why are they not capitolizing on it? I have a hint on why....anyone anyone...Buler....Buler?

licensing

Hi Daniel,

I'm not even going to begin to defend the look & feel, usability, etc. etc. We all know very well where that stands, and I don't think it needs to be rationalized.

However, I can assure you that we do have our fingers in the YouTube pie. As it relates to overall revenue, I can absolutely assure you that more dollars come in the door as a subscription service than any way of being a YouTube content partner could ever bring in. If joining forces with YT would get more money in the door, bang. Done. No question. The reason that the Fan Network has evolved into being essentially a paywall is that what's behind the paywall is something best monetized by subs.

I can assure you that we are actively researching options to maximize the value there. We have been lauded for our ability to make money unlike most people who do this sort of thing. In fact, I've even spoken at a conference about how good our live products are relative to the market today. Aesthetics aside, the video product is nearly state of the art, and what we achieve on the dimes we spend is actually a model for other for-profit businesses.

So rest assured in the online department, the bitstreams are being capitalized on with our direct audience in an optimized way, and we are aware of how the landscape moves as it relates to delivery, and its cost effectiveness.

Now, back to my popcorn. :)

Not speaking about the live stuff. The live stuff is absolutely fantastic for the production budget.

I don't know about you but I'm waiting for the first G7 World Championships. Would prelims cut the field to the top 6? How about semi-finals to the top 4? Can you feel the drama building? Can you hardly wait for a finals week (or is it day)like this? Is this how it might be AFTER the same 7 corps tour all summer, making the results even more predictable than they are now? (Of course, this assumes that a G7 tour would even have judging and not be just an exhibition tour.) I, and I hope you, sincerely hope our activity never comes to anything approaching, what at least for now, are just a bunch of facetious possibilities.