Trombones

Having trombones on the field could cause serious havoc in tight drill moves as well. When you push down a valve on an instrument, the instrument itself doesn't grow longer. (Okay, it does, but in a different fashion). Could you imagine a pass-through with 2 step intervals while the trombones are chilling out in 6th position? People would get their heads taken off. And this is coming from a long-time trombone player. They just aren't fit for the visual demands of drum corps.

I was thinking about the video of the Western Carolina University Marching Band show for 2012. It was an absolutely fantastic show. One of the camera angles showed the trombone section. I can understand why the trombones are in a marching band, but why not drum corps? I know I'm young and don't know much, but I thought that it was just woodwinds that weren't supposed to be on the field. So why are there no trombones in a drum corps show? Is the answer widely known, or is it a closely guarded secret that no one knows?

Why not sousaphones too? devil.gif

Why not sousaphones too? devil.gif

Well, we've already seen that when Eklipse, a new corps from Kentucky in 2003, received permission from DCI to utilize borrowed Sousaphones for their first show. Their bell-front tubas were late in arriving, being received the day of the first show. That didn't give the members time to acclimate to the new instruments, and DCI preferred the corps perform than sit out their first show due to that.

06_21_2003_eklipse.jpg

Edited by Michael Boo

I was thinking about the video of the Western Carolina University Marching Band show for 2012. It was an absolutely fantastic show. One of the camera angles showed the trombone section. I can understand why the trombones are in a marching band, but why not drum corps? I know I'm young and don't know much, but I thought that it was just woodwinds that weren't supposed to be on the field. So why are there no trombones in a drum corps show? Is the answer widely known, or is it a closely guarded secret that no one knows?

Well, allowing trombones is just a surreptitious way of getting woodwinds into drum corps...

Tromboon.jpg

:tongue:/>/>

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 2

Having trombones on the field could cause serious havoc in tight drill moves as well. When you push down a valve on an instrument, the instrument itself doesn't grow longer. (Okay, it does, but in a different fashion). Could you imagine a pass-through with 2 step intervals while the trombones are chilling out in 6th position? People would get their heads taken off. And this is coming from a long-time trombone player. They just aren't fit for the visual demands of drum corps.

I wonder how many field judges would get taken out by adding trombones.... :ph34r:

LOL shades of band camp in college..... student leaders running drill basics by yelling commands at sections of band members after setting up wierd starting formations. Forget details (been 35 years) but trombones coming together from opposing directions and somed yelled "about face" (think about it :shutup:/>/> ).... Around 8 of 16 trombones with mangled (school owned) slides. Kicker was two of the trombones (myself and a Finleyville Royal Crusader) just dropped to a crouch position to get the Hades out of the way. We just looked at each other and the RC'ers quote was "Yep ####### corps people think #### thru instead of blindly following orders".

As for why no tbones... well started with Bar-o-tones with no valves in the 30s and added valves, slides, rotors, etc as the sops added them. But think trombones never used because just never approved early on because they were not bugles (or bugles with valves if you will) and already had the Bari voice. And... let's not forget that key of G used back then (unless you were Canadian).

Edit: more fun to watch trombone players learn fingerings..... :devil:/> (OK I'm one too.... :ph34r:/> )

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Well, allowing trombones is just a surreptitious way of getting woodwinds into drum corps...

Tromboon.jpg

:tongue:/>/>/>

Although that would only be appropriate for The Seasonings,the Serenude (for devious instruments) and Shepherd on the Rocks, With a Twist.

• Like 1

Just give them bass trombones. They can use the triggers so they will rarely need to go past 4th position.

Ever see Ohio State march the Script Ohio w/ slide trombones?

• Like 1

If I remember right the famous KEITH MARKEY use the "Trombonium" back with the Air Force Academy in 1968. Saw him using it at a standstill contest in Stockton, CA