A Hunch; A Question

Stu

The corps that left DCM did so for reasons other than the above, from what I recall reading. They did not "kill DCM"; they left DCM. They were, as the G7 say, the "draw"; DCM could not survive with what was left, so it folded. Kind of goes against the argument some make here that the G7 are not the main draw and attract the main part of the audience.

Really? Of course you'd remember it differently! tongue.gif You almost ALWAYS DO!

Active or passive, those corps leaving had the same consequence for DCM, whose competitions were very well run for a very, very long time...

It's just that those corps that left wanted a bigger piece of the pie, which sounds familiar and sounds familiar to what happen with the formation of DCI as I recall from the Brass Roots VHS I have.... It's history repeating over and over again.

I just want to say that attracting fans is pretty much the end game for DCI. Do the G7 objectively attract the most fans to get butts in the seat? Are the programs they present and the quality they present responsible for attracting DCI revenue? Are the top corps investing more into DCI than lower corps? I'd say that objectively yes.

You even say yourself that corps budgets are a concern. But as long as Blue Devils are a part of DCI an investment in their corps is an investment in DCI. DCI benefits from the corps spending money on great shows and high quality that attract paying members and fans. I don't think DCI would be upset about how much investment corps have made into their product especially if that product is selling.

As sorry this really had nothing to do what you were responding to but... oh well.

I'm glad you put that last in there, because I have no idea what you're talking about, beyond the usual honk about how much one corps contributes versus another.

Let's not forget that the payout scheme now in place rewards those corps in a proportion that they, themselves, negotiated to be put in place in the decades that those leaders led the BOD.

If you're expecting me to take credit away, I surely won't. But I don't buy the "we're worth more" argument of the seven. The sum total of what's paid to all the other corps, divided among the seven, wouldn't amount to a single year's expense for any one other them.

Money's not the REAL issue here. It's control, and destiny, and the overwhelming feeling that 8 to 22 are holding them, and the activity, back.

I'm convinced of that, anyway.

The corps that left DCM did so for reasons other than the above, from what I recall reading. They did not "kill DCM"; they left DCM. They were, as the G7 say, the "draw"; DCM could not survive with what was left, so it folded. Kind of goes against the argument some make here that the G7 are not the main draw and attract the main part of the audience.

well, they wanted more, and then when they were preparing to bail, they went out and locked up usually well attended DCM shows to be DCI shows.

Funny then how DCI counted those shows for their "stats" the next year

• Like 1

I just want to say that attracting fans is pretty much the end game for DCI. Do the G7 objectively attract the most fans to get butts in the seat? Are the programs they present and the quality they present responsible for attracting DCI revenue? Are the top corps investing more into DCI than lower corps? I'd say that objectively yes.

Objectively? Oh, good. Then you can clear something up for me. No one else has been able to tell me what portion of DCI revenue each corps was responsible for. Since you know this objectively, you can settle the matter once and for all. Thanks.

Kind of goes against the G7 argument that open class corps should be evicted from DCI and handled through regional circuits, if you believe that those regional circuits cannot survive.

So you have connected the dots for those who contend that the G7 proposal was a death sentence for open class.

• Like 2

Let's not forget that the payout scheme now in place rewards those corps in a proportion that they, themselves, negotiated to be put in place in the decades that those leaders led the BOD.

If you're expecting me to take credit away, I surely won't. But I don't buy the "we're worth more" argument of the seven. The sum total of what's paid to all the other corps, divided among the seven, wouldn't amount to a single year's expense for any one other them.

Money's not the REAL issue here. It's control, and destiny, and the overwhelming feeling that 8 to 22 are holding them, and the activity, back.

I'm convinced of that, anyway.

You may be right.

I keep thinking that money is still one of the real issues. But either way, I would expect to see more focus on targeting those bottom few WC corps, and less of this open class derangement syndrome. There is more money in the appearance fees of the bottom WC corps than in whatever real support DCI still provides to open class.

well, they wanted more, and then when they were preparing to bail, they went out and locked up usually well attended DCM shows to be DCI shows.

Funny then how DCI counted those shows for their "stats" the next year

They "locked up" shows because the sponsors knew which corps would provide them with the best opportunity to be successful.

And of course they counted them, as they were DCI shows. Funny that way...for DCI to count DCI shows as part of their 'stats'.

It's all a conspiracy I tell you!!!!

Drum corps has another 5 years and done! LOL

Objectively? Oh, good. Then you can clear something up for me. No one else has been able to tell me what portion of DCI revenue each corps was responsible for. Since you know this objectively, you can settle the matter once and for all. Thanks.

For the shows it's more difficult because we dont know the revenue of TOC shows compared to a regular 7 corps event. But in terms of show/music downloads from the DCI site the G7 corps are responsible for the most downloads. I guess technically we don't know the spread of the downloads/revenue. But I don't think it's a stretch to say that if people are paying more often for G7 downloads that that preference carries into the shows.

Edited by charlie1223