TOC/G7 Related Discussion

... except you left out one important factor - kids leaving "local" corps to march with "touring" corps. Hard to miss that, as several posters have alluded to it in this same thread.

That sort of thing happened all he time even pre-DCI...the real marching junkies left the smaller local class 'B' corps to join the Big class 'A' Corps. One example was the Garfield Epochs...the were created, from what I recall being told, iwas because so few of the Garfield Plebes at the time ever made it to the Cadets, while kids like me from small local corps (many in the Garden State Circuit, for instance) were taking the spots in the Big Corps. Lots of members from my GSC corps ended up in either Blessed Sac or Garfield in 69/70. Before that I know some members from the corps I first belonged to went to St Lucy's and Blessed Sac as far back as 64/65.

The Big Corps pre-DCI were not touring as much as later on, of course, but the movement from local to national caliber corps was nothing new. It wasn't the touring that was the primary draw, it was the competitive level of the corps.

• Like 1

Other than logging in 4 times a day and devoting my life to reading this thread, is there any other way to keep up ?

• Like 2

Other than logging in 4 times a day and devoting my life to reading this thread, is there any other way to keep up ?

The novel should be hitting the shelves of your local book store soon!!! :lookaround:/>

Joking. There are actually several closet attorneys on this board.

I know, was just kidding back at ya!

Keeping up implies change - progress even. It's good to know it's not all pessimists here.

HH

• Like 2

Hmmm. Can't believe no one has pointed out this numerical irony thus far from the DCI official announcement. Who will be missing? G-7 boycott? What boards think that this would not be worth attending? Or are they others who already know what Daniel Ray will say??? Most Interesting!

"Traveling and meeting at their own expense, representatives of 17 of 23 World Class corps are expected to be in attendance. The session is scheduled to run the afternoon of Saturday, April 6 through noon on Sunday, April 7."

Read more: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=715c5d7f-132a-4453-ad23-75ba90706ab8#ixzz2PXPFPYNR

I supppose you could log in 5 times a day as a start and go from there, Mike.

( haha )

Hmmm. Can't believe no one has pointed out this numerical irony thus far from the DCI official announcement. Who will be missing? G-7 boycott? What boards think that this would not be worth attending? Or are they others who already know what Daniel Ray will say??? Most Interesting!

"Traveling and meeting at their own expense, representatives of 17 of 23 World Class corps are expected to be in attendance. The session is scheduled to run the afternoon of Saturday, April 6 through noon on Sunday, April 7."

The article states that this year's DCI meeting was organized by the Boston Crusaders.

Gee, I hope everyone that was qualified got an invite.

( haha.. 'sorry, couldn't resist. )

• Like 2

So you are saying that DCI did what others suggest here, and hired a professional PR firm in pursuit of better marketing ideas than could be obtained internally. And this was already done years ago.

Those who thought DCI gave no mind to refining their marketing message will be relieved to hear this. Thank you for providing that insight.

It was volunteer work. The owner of the company had a son that marched in a corps and wanted to help out. They even supported the Atlanta regional. DCI was lukewarm about their support (mysteriously), so that bridge wasn't exactly burned, but toasty for sure.

Since you are only interested in now and the immediate future, would you like to answer my questions regarding which path forward you recommend? Choices were:

- rethink the concept of "haves" and "have-nots"

- stick with "haves" and "have-nots", and focus on growing more "have-nots" before we run out

- stick with "haves" and "have-nots", but replenish the "have-not" population by revoking member status of selected "haves"

There is certainly a difference between what is a smart and responsible business decision and a personal interest. I care most about the kids who have absolutely nothing ... if a kid is able to march in a drum corps in the US, they have already won. They are already in the top 99% of the universe... they are so far ahead of the game.

Also, there are absolutely no 'have nots' in America, only 'have less'. There is a genuine lack of reality in the US of how the rest of the world really lives. There is no genuine struggle there, not sincere difficulty.