Rumblings from CADETLAND

I got to se the Cadets about a week ago and I think this is the best sounding hornline I have heard from them in a while. Not that they aren't always very good, it's just that they have such a great balance and tone quality this season. Such a pleasure to hear and see. I haven't seen BD or Crown yet, so I don't know how things will shake out in the end, but this Cadet show is definitely and enjoyable contender.

I got to se the Cadets about a week ago and I think this is the best sounding hornline I have heard from them in a while. Not that they aren't always very good, it's just that they have such a great balance and tone quality this season. Such a pleasure to hear and see. I haven't seen BD or Crown yet, so I don't know how things will shake out in the end, but this Cadet show is definitely and enjoyable contender.

Agreed! Cadets hornline sounds awesome this year! :thumbup: Maybe louder than Crown this year, and they sound good doing it. The ballad is just gorgeous!! I would have Cadets brass scoring above BD and very close to Crown, but that's what the judges had in DeKalb (where I saw them all live), so maybe BD has tightened up since. The San Antonio fan network broadcast had some microphone placement issues so I couldn't really tell how the brass were doing from any corps, alas.

I have a question regarding the low guard score. Did the Cadet guard have an off night or did other guards make changes and move ahead of them? I was surprised at the content score having them in 5th while being 6th in proficiency.

I think they had an off night. They were dirty and had drops. But the question is who would you have them above? BD, Crown ad SCV have superior guards. Phantom is squeaky clean and Bk had an outstanding guard performance last night. Maybe Cadet's guard is the same Achilles heel that Crown's drumline is? Cadets guard just doesn't add as much as the groups above them nor do they have the 'look' or level of sophistication of those who beat them.

I think they had an off night. They were dirty and had drops. But the question is who would you have them above? BD, Crown ad SCV have superior guards. Phantom is squeaky clean and Bk had an outstanding guard performance last night. Maybe Cadet's guard is the same Achilles heel that Crown's drumline is? Cadets guard just doesn't add as much as the groups above them nor do they have the 'look' or level of sophistication of those who beat them.

I think they have a lot of content and not really getting credit yet but that should improve as they clean. Much more equipment work than some above them. Overall their guard numbers should tighter with the top two or three guards but this particular judge is always tough on the Cadets.

I agree work is to be done and the corps had a lot of tempo changes added this week so even visual proficiency was down and they have been strong there. They'll clean it up.

Edited by newjerseycorpguy

Agreed! Cadets hornline sounds awesome this year! :thumbup:/> Maybe louder than Crown this year, and they sound good doing it. The ballad is just gorgeous!! I would have Cadets brass scoring above BD and very close to Crown, but that's what the judges had in DeKalb (where I saw them all live), so maybe BD has tightened up since. The San Antonio fan network broadcast had some microphone placement issues so I couldn't really tell how the brass were doing from any corps, alas.

Thought they were scored low in brass last night from what I heard.

Well, if you come in offering "help" with a condescending attitude, you're not going to get many takers. Perhaps you should ask them what assistance they need instead of presuming you know. I'm going to guess the number one item on their list is money--for supplies, building maintenance, more space, and more teachers--not additional work in the form of managing untrained volunteers who aren't willing to teach to the curriculum.

Anyway, I'm not sure what this has to do with it. Even if the practice field had turned out to be a quicksand pit, and the housing was a falling-down barn with rabid elephant-sized spiders inside, taking to the corps' Facebook page to complain about it and whine about how you don't like to tour in this part of the country is the wrong thing to do.

Wow, you are way better at offering help than I am I'm sure. Since you presume to know the circumstances and all...

My point is that the south has some serious educational problems. But let's be sure we don't hurt anyone's feelings by pointing out that the facilities need work. Let's just hope the problem goes away by chatting about it online. Being in denial is much more comfortable than having to read a facebook post by an outsider who doesn't have a great list of experiences in your area.

• Like 1

Cadets keep making changes that help GE but also sets them back slightly in execution (Visual caption especially in proficiency where they have been at or near the top). Hopefully they finish up the changes this week so plenty of time to clean. Great job this weekend a cadets!