Rumblings from CADETLAND

Anybody notice the difference in the guard score spread tonight?

I'm thinking that any judge who has an overt bias towards a corps (good or bad) should be replaced next season and definitely should be kept from adjudicating during finals week this year. It would be a shame if any of the corps suffer from one judge's agenda.

• Like 1

Who's to say tonight's judge wasn't biased towards Cadets and gave them too much credit. Are you qualified to make that call?

• Like 3

Who's to say tonight's judge wasn't biased towards Cadets and gave them too much credit. Are you qualified to make that call?

Yes, a very good point.

Determining whether a judge has an agenda is almost impossible unless they come out and openly state their intentions. DCI might be able to determine if a judge is not qualified, and I have sometimes wondered if they assess their judges, and if so how is that done?

Ultimately, the activity (DCI) that we all love is a combination of objectivity and subjectivity. The performance captions are more objective. Brass, percussion, marching, and guard performance. The visual and GE captions are very subjective. This is where the right judging panel might really help, and another panel could drop your score.

Anybody notice the difference in the guard score spread tonight?

I'm thinking that any judge who has an overt bias towards a corps (good or bad) should be replaced next season and definitely should be kept from adjudicating during finals week this year. It would be a shame if any of the corps suffer from one judge's agenda.

I agree. I understand opinion but when the same judge consistently slams the same corps year after year, then that's a problem for any corps but more so for one that is in contention for the gold.

I agree. I understand opinion but when the same judge consistently slams the same corps year after year, then that's a problem for any corps but more so for one that is in contention for the gold.

And if there's a judge who you consistently like seeing because they have shown to give favorable numbers to your corps over the years, why would you automatically accept THOSE numbers as being accurate? Perhaps there's some favoritism at play there (bias FOR), and wouldn't that be just as bad? Or would you look the other way because you got the numbers you wanted? That's a general question, not necessarily directed towards you, but I think it's a legit one. As soon as you put one judge's numbers under a microscope, you better be prepared to do that for all of them. Even the ones you like.

• Like 2

This really does happen.

Anyone that knows the judging community could have told you that Phantom was going to win in 2008 based on panel alone.

<flame suit on>

Edited by Schickmeister
  • Like 1

This really does happen.

Anyone that knows the judging community could have told you that Phantom was going to win in 2008 based on panel alone.

<flame suit on>

And anyone that knows the judging community could have told you that BD was going to win Quarters/Semis in 2008 based on panel alone. And that proves... what exactly?

And if there's a judge who you consistently like seeing because they have shown to give favorable numbers to your corps over the years, why would you automatically accept THOSE numbers as being accurate? Perhaps there's some favoritism at play there (bias FOR), and wouldn't that be just as bad? Or would you look the other way because you got the numbers you wanted? That's a general question, not necessarily directed towards you, but I think it's a legit one. As soon as you put one judge's numbers under a microscope, you better be prepared to do that for all of them. Even the ones you like.

The variability in number assignment is enough for me to scratch my head. Ive seen it in Cadet's brass scores, music analysis and Guard scores. I've yet to see it with Crown or BD. That's my point...The times I have seen the Cadets live, they have been CONSISTENT in their high performance level. I couldn't say that every year about them but this season thus far, they have been consistent with strong performances.

They should double panel all captions at finals, like WGI does, to remove any bias (i.e. put Gilley and Nieubauer on guard)

• Like 2

They should double panel all captions at finals, like WGI does, to remove any bias (i.e. put Gilley and Nieubauer on guard)

Absolutely...