Fan Network 2013

I am sick and TIRED of companies such as Microsoft and Adobe trying to get me to buy perpetual and recurring services to be able to use their software.

I would ALSO be ###### at a movie company for the same reason.

I'll pay once and have the media as long as it lasts over forking over part of my salary each month to support these kinds of companies. Just a thought though.

No I won't always have the latest version; sometimes that's a good thing ( Phantom 2008 before the edits).

Another good point. For the last 2 years, I have bought the quarterfinals APD bundle. Is it the LAST show? Nope. That said, I don't have any edits in my copies. For instance, I have the FULL intro to Crown's show. I have all of it. So there's that.

For those of you that insist on buying physical media, more power to you. But why is DCI forcing me to buy it if I don't want it? I *do not* want the physical media. I *do* want access to the finals VODs.

Why does DCI not understand that?

• Like 1

So once again, if I want VOD access to finals I have to have physical media shoved down my throat? Really? It's 2013. Who buys physical media anymore?

especially when every year, more and more is removed from the physical media because of licensing issues

This site was ready to ban Garfield from DCI...wasn't that the year Hop got his car vandalized...the hate was overwhelming

look, let's be real here for a second.

George wants to win. if DCP loves him or hates him, as long as he is drawing attention to the corps, he wins. he isn't going to make a change to the show unless he either gets an ### load of cash or it will help the score.

I do. Blu-ray is far, far superior in audio and video quality to what you get on the Fan Network. I also don't want the availability of shows to be subject to the whims of someone else. If you own physical media, you have it for LIFE - as long as you have something that can play it. So glad I OWN the DVD of 2008 Finals that was put out before the edit to Phantom's show was done, for example. Long live physical media!

Shawn

key words...before the edit. I'm tired of dvd's and cd's with edits

Seriously. So glad I have the pre edit 08 DVD.

The DVDs in my opinion are way overpriced. You used to get the top 12, with four different angles, judge and designer commentary plus a couple of other extras.

Then in 2008... very sneakily I might add... same price.. all the extra content in gone. Plus edits.

And more edits, more edits, more edits. Hell you can't even a show that doesn't need to get edited you get a cut from a different night.

I want the FINALS performances... that is what I'm paying for. Not some edit because we didn't get the shot we wanted. Choose a different shot from that night.

I understand... sync rights are a little over the top and quite ridiculous (anything to make a ####### buck in this country)... but maybe corps need to start looking into that a lot more... I know plenty of people who would rather not buy the physical media... or any DCI media form the past couple of years at all because of all the cuts and edits.

Cadets from last year and Madison a couple of years ago is just flat out embarrassing. And I can't even watch those shows. I don't want the Essentials Blu-ray because Phantom is cut up. One of the best shows in DCI history... one of the most memorable performances, cut up. Again thankfully I have the pre-edit DVD.

The physical media is faltering. Streaming media can be a much cheaper option if done correctly. Seriously.. if there is anything DCI should be spending money on is Fan Network. It's can be pretty big. But there are higher quality recordings of shows on youtube that people ripped off their DVDs. And with all the technology, being able to stream HD content directly to your TV fan network is missing out.

And stream ####### finals live already. WE WILL PAY!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

For those of you that insist on buying physical media, more power to you. But why is DCI forcing me to buy it if I don't want it? I *do not* want the physical media. I *do* want access to the finals VODs.

Why does DCI not understand that?

Good question. Probably because they want just a little more money from the top tier product.

Maybe you could just sell the DVD or Blu Ray on eBay?

...and you make it sound like buying the physical media is a bad thing when you phrase it that way...

I see it completely the other way around.

• Like 2

The physical media is faltering. Streaming media can be a much cheaper option if done correctly.

...until DCI decides to stop offering that "service" or something else happens.

At least with the physical media, I'll have access to these shows no matter what happens to DCI.

I really enjoy what streaming media offers in addition to having the physical media. It's a supplement, not a replacement...

Look at BOA. There are a TON of shows that used to be available for purchase on video from 800 Video Express. There was a "spat" between the BOA and 800 Video Express many years ago... Now, poof, none of the old videos are around. We can't go back and get historical videos any longer. However, if you got the videos each year, then you could simply transfer those to digital and do what you like with them.

Imagine this scenario if 800 Video Express streamed videos. Poof, no more access to those historical videos.

It's sort of like that for me...

• Like 1

So once again, if I want VOD access to finals I have to have physical media shoved down my throat? Really? It's 2013. Who buys physical media anymore?

Lots of people. In fact Hollywood pretty much counts on it now-a-days, and that's how it will be until movie files are true HD & portable media devices are better than home theater systems. I used to work in a video store when I was in college, in the mid-90's. Back then there was a window of time from studios where they released a movie for rental for a few months BEFORE they released it for purchases at a discounted price (this was back in the days of VHS tapes, kids: there were laser discs but no DVD's).

Now-a-days it's the opposite: studios will release a film for sale on a specific date, and then put it up for rental on iTunes or Netflix several weeks later in order to capitalize on DVD & Blu-ray sales. It's not uncommon for iTunes to sell stuff day/date of DVD release, but the purchasing of DVD's & Blu-rays is where many films start to see profit & studios count on physical media sales.

As for DCI, it makes sense that if their biggest money-making ancillary product is the video, then they would want to continue to foster its sales potential. I agree with you in a sense that they might be limiting their over-all profits by focusing too much on physical media sales (though there is no public evidence of that). But on the flip side of that argument two of the last three DCI seasons I ended up purchasing either the Blu-ray or DVD of Finals because of the FN deal so maybe DCI is on to something