Fan Network 2013

Wait so how exactly does this work. If you paid the $69 dollars for the live subscription, does that mean you can only watch it right then? But you can't go back and re-watch the videos without paying the $19 on-demand price?

So even though we already paid $69, we have to pay additional money to go back and watch the shows again? I didn't get to see the shows last night and I'd like to, except without paying additional money.

No, you can watch the shows at any time. The live broadcast will be up for a couple days (as one big stream of the entire show) and then they will appear as single shows in the 2013 On Demand tab. You get to watch everything.

So, based on consensus the Fan Network is a nay for this year? I was thinking about it since I won't be able to go to any shows this year due to new house/new job/baby due around the time it rolls near Charlotte. I think I'll wait for them to get it together.

Well it has it's problems but I think it is really great! I can now watch certain shows my son will be performing like the Walnut show. that right there is worth the fee.

• Like 1

No idea why it would be a nay at this point. It was pretty sweet to spend a couple hours last night watching the Stanford show (in close to high def, btw). Just got to watch BD today. Seems to be doing fine so far...

• Like 1

So, based on consensus the Fan Network is a nay for this year? I was thinking about it since I won't be able to go to any shows this year due to new house/new job/baby due around the time it rolls near Charlotte. I think I'll wait for them to get it together.

Fan Network is exactly as good a value as it ever was. They had some issues with links to the DVR version of the Stanford show after the live stream was over, but that's been resolved now. Fan Network works great and is an excellent way to get a taste of shows you'll not get a chance to see otherwise, and watch them progress through the season. I think it's definitely worth the $70.

• Like 3

I've been registered for Fan Network for the last 5 years (not sure when it started), but I think it's the best thing going (mistakes, hiccups, and all).

I look forward to following DCI every summer in a way we never before dreamed of. I still get to roughly 3 to 4 shows per year, but this allows me to see all regionals live, including semi-finals. I additionally use it when I teach Marching Band Techniques because I can pull up any video of a corps from the years 1974 to present. How amazing is that? Your subscription is good for a year (not just the summer).

And when I show these videos in class I am doing so legally. Not via YouTube and other ripped-off media.

DCI has done great work here and I hope other realize how important this can be to their survival.

Fan Network is exactly as good a value as it ever was. They had some issues with links to the DVR version of the Stanford show after the live stream was over, but that's been resolved now. Fan Network works great and is an excellent way to get a taste of shows you'll not get a chance to see otherwise, and watch them progress through the season. I think it's definitely worth the $70.

That's good to hear. I always find a way to eventually see all the corps progress in some way or another, even if it's at the bottom of budgeting. My wife actually suggested going to a show on July 28th, even though her due date is July 31st! Since it's Night Beat in Charlotte and the stadium and event staff is notorious for poorly running things I didn't want to risk it...yet.

This is my first year with Fan Network. I'm ecstatic to find out I can watch the feed from Stanford. I thought I could only get that if I paid the 20$ listed on the site. Never thought I'd get to DVR it, what a feature!

However, does anyone know how long it takes for the on demand stuff to get put up? I sorta expected it a little sooner (Like i said I'm a newbie so I have no clue). I'm jonesing for more now that I got a taste :help:

Edited by xtreme0204

This is my first year with Fan Network. I'm ecstatic to find out I can watch the feed from Stanford. I thought I could only get that if I paid the 20$ listed on the site. Never thought I'd get to DVR it, what a feature!

However, does anyone know how long it takes for the on demand stuff to get put up? I sorta expected it a little sooner (Like i said I'm a newbie so I have no clue). I'm jonesing for more now that I got a taste :help:/>/>

Usually takes a couple of days. The staff is different this year so some of the details might be different, but in the past few yeras, the live-streamed shows have stayed up in the DVR one-huge-blob format for a few days, and then the convert it down to individual per-corps chunks after that period is over. On-demand-only shows typically the wait is at least a day, and usually two (it has been longer, depending on whether there were any issues with the video or sound that the staff want to fix before posting). The Akron show won't be going on the on-demand till after the cinecast tonight I would assume.

So, yeah, it can be frustrating to wait for the on-demand stuff. But the real magic (IMO) is in watching the live streams while posting on DCP. You kinda need multiple computers to make it work well, but that's the best way to experience it. It's like watching it live with your friends, but you get to make all the snarky comments you want without disturbing anyone. :w00t:

Still, the on-demand is a great resource for watching shows evolve over the season. I remember Crown's 2009 show doing nothing for me at the start of the season, but as I watched each weekend live stream they kept making more tweaks until it just clicked in and blew me away, just in time for me to actually get to see it live in Salem, VA and enjoy the hell out of it.

I'm not positive about this year, but they've been gradually growing the number of live-streamed events they do each season. They are often tightly restricted in what they can do by the facilities available at the venues, which are more often than not old high school stadiums with no A/C in the pressbox (necessary for the stream-encoding PCs, which get HOT), or even at places like Mile High Stadium (or whatever it's called) they are limited to what equipment they can mount and where, etc, etc. But they're getting better every year, IMO. And this year looks like there'll be a lot more multi-cam live shows, so that'll be a good addition.

Edited by skywhopper

No it's great overall, it's just got an unintuitive interface for loading Live or On Demand videos at the moment which we hope they fix soon, but once you know the workaround described above, it's been pretty reliable this year and the last few years. Not 100%, but 90%+. Good value especially if you can't go to shows.

I wouldn't do the thing, though, where you pay for only one show. It really only makes sense financially to me to subscribe for the season and watch the ones live that you can and catch replays later for the others. Note the video schedule. Many but not all of the bigger weekend shows are shown live. Allentown hasn't been able to be shown live due to uplink problems in Allentown, but they replay it championship week. Finals live isn't part of it yet despite the ardent wishes of many here--if they ever add that, it would be for a healthy upcharge.

Many of the people who have trouble with it (especially live on weekend nights) are on DSL. DCI says you need 1 MB per second download speed. Some DSL doesn't meet that standard even when it's spec'ced there. Cable Internet is usually fine. If it's a fast, solid DSL connection, and particularly if you're watching replays later, it can work.