New Uniforms 2013

I like it. Stir things up.

I'm sure people from or who live on the west coast/east coast will appreciate this much more than those who live in the middle of the country.

:blink:

Gotta say, that Crown uniform is beginning to grow on me. After seeing a video of their preview show (since taken down), I think it could be a very effective package. It will be interesting to see it on the field as well as what the guard will be wearing.

Dan

I hate Crown's uniform, but I also hated BD's uniform change a couple years ago which grew on me so I am hoping the same will happen for Crown. At least people cannot say Crown's look is boring like the all cream from last year.

There have been attempts to use a WGI style uni, but it's been discouraged by alumni and donors. Regarding body movement, Cadets used to just march their tails off. It's only recently that the body movements have been showing up into their M&M. If I remember correctly, the first real body movements I saw from Cadets that were not their typical MO were in their 2010 show-heads/shako/plume rocking. IMOF, some of this year's movements are similar to those Crown has done. I'm not saying that's good or bad. The body movements have worked their way into the genre. Personally, I'd rather se the Cadets march, but that's not the current trend.

Would not the 1985 show be considered body movements: Mark Hart (now a DCI visual judge) doing a one-handed body flip as he charged down the endzone bleachers to vault the fence onto the field..., or Tom Smith's antics getting from the end zone tunnel to make his dot across the entire corps at warp speed bpm... as the corps formed the files of the tribes of Israel in the opener of Jeremiah's Symphony?

Or later in the Les Mis show and the year after? Check the soprano lead who gets to his spot on the 30 front sideline and each show kicks the yard marker to the audience...

More than military bearing movements have been there for years.

As the sports announcing legend Howard Cosell used to say, "Let's go to the video tapes..."

Edited by normy diploome
  • Like 1

Would not the 1985 show be considered body movements: Mark Hart (now a DCI visual judge) doing a one-handed body flip as he charged down the endzone bleachers to vault the fence onto the field..., or Tom Smith's antics getting from the end zone tunnel to make his dot across the entire corps at warp speed bpm... as the corps formed the files of the tribes of Israel in the opener of Jeremiah's Symphony?

Or later in the Les Mis show and the year after? Check the soprano lead who gets to his spot on the 30 front sideline and each show kicks the yard marker to the audience...

More than military bearing movements have been there for years.

As the sports announcing legend used to say, "Let's go to the video tapes..."

EXACTLY! Nothing new here, it's pretty much "same story, different details"

for every 1 vet interested in quitting because they don't like the show or the uniform color, there are probably 15 recruits waiting to fill that spot.

The Drum Corps activity likewise would be in GREAT shape with LOTS of fans, if "for every 1 Drum Corps vet it lost, it found 15 new recruit fans waiting to fill its spot".

Edited by BRASSO

There have been attempts to use a WGI style uni, but it's been discouraged by alumni and donors. Regarding body movement, Cadets used to just march their tails off. It's only recently that the body movements have been showing up into their M&M. If I remember correctly, the first real body movements I saw from Cadets that were not their typical MO were in their 2010 show-heads/shako/plume rocking. IMOF, some of this year's movements are similar to those Crown has done. I'm not saying that's good or bad. The body movements have worked their way into the genre. Personally, I'd rather se the Cadets march, but that's not the current trend.

I remember reading about that here in 2011, but I wasn't sure how reliable the source was so I didn't think much of it.

Wow, I have to give Crown props for just going for it. It seems like since BD won with their Cabaret Voltaire show that everyone seems to be jumping on the esoteric/mulicolor/brainy/conceptual what not shows.

Carolina Crown has been so close to winning a " Crown " with crowd pleasing shows. They are correctly looking at the type of show however that is currently winning with the DCI judges ( average age by the way, close to 60 ). Lets be frank and honest here. Its the weird shows, with the weird looking uniforms. Thus its not surprising to me that it appears that Carolina Crown this season has opted to forgo their crowd pleasing shows and go with something that many in the audience might consider weird and strange.. right down to their uniforms, ( or more correctly now, imo.. costumes. ) in order to win the approval of the older men and women in DCI that currently judge these shows in competition. I don't think its rocket science to understand why Crown is taking this approach this year at all. Who can blame them ? Seriously ? Afterall, how many titles has Crown won with fan friendly shows ? Well, then that brings us to today and thats why we see Crown donning the duds we see here and created by a guy that has enormous influence on the activity and in these judged shows. Understood in this context, it is quite understandable why Crown is doing what they are doing this season in programming and in costume designing for its marchers ( or performers if one prefers ). Crown can't be faulted for not considering the audience in their off season programming and costume planning. They're most likely thinking... been there, done that. They have pandered to the audiences ( good for them ) in years past. This year, they are taking a different approach off of what I've seen so far. They intend to pander to the Patrician, all knowing, DCI judges. Afterall, isn't this REALLY the best pathway to a desired " Crown " if we are honest with ourselves about it ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2