Cavies Struggles

Anybody have any info on the Gaines situation? Is that a permanent separation - if so, anybody know why?

Although I like Cavaliers' show, their drill design hasn't been the same the last two years. Although this sounds like it is a slight on the current staff writing the drill, it really isn't - Gaines set the bar pretty high.

K. I've seen it now. Cloaks are not a great idea early season (I do enjoy the way they fit thematically). These would probably have been been better added toward the end of July after the first 2 movements are super clean. Great book, lots of room for growth. I apologize for earlier vitriol. Last year this thread went way south way fast. I still assert 8th place or better finish.

I thought Last year was a fluke. I was wrong. I love when The Cavaliers are in medal contention! It seems like when the Cavaliers are in contention, it strikes fear in all the top corps! I hope they get back to the top soon!

Edited by boxingfred
  • Like 1

Anybody have any info on the Gaines situation? Is that a permanent separation - if so, anybody know why?

Although I like Cavaliers' show, their drill design hasn't been the same the last two years. Although this sounds like it is a slight on the current staff writing the drill, it really isn't - Gaines set the bar pretty high.

After 25 years of drum corps, he felt like he needed a break from it. It can take a toll on someone. He's focusing more on the WGI side of things now. He has also explicitly stated he won' be making the change to SCV to be with Fiedler again.

Why would Gaines retire and the rest of the staff go to SCV. Sounds like a management issue. Seems like everyone in possesion of a clue has left.

Except none of that happened. "The rest of the staff" is the same this year as it was in 2010 and 2011, when they placed 2nd and 3rd, respectively, winning percussion in '11. Vanguard's musical staff these days is Regiment's musical staff from 3 or 4 years ago.

The numbers from this weekend make it appear as if they've got a bead on where they want to go with the show, and are making the right adjustments. No one really thought they were going to go from 8th to 1st, did they? 8th to "better" is reasonable, given how much more competitive things are now than they were 96 and 97, last time they had a relative rough patch.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

Yes, I think SCV mostly raided Phantom and Bluecoats. They got Phantom's brass arranger and their percussion instructor, and they grabbed some Bluecoats brass guys, including their brass caption head.

They grabbed fiedler years ago, and at first that didn't seem to matter, but it's starting to pay dividends for SCV.

I thought the Cavaliers were more hurt when Gaines stepped down and when they lost their brass arranger from Indiana (Carmel HS I think, forget his name). This was the duo that really caused change IMO, and so they just need to work around this. They will. All in good time. Had a great score last night.

• Like 1

Just went back and watched their past several years back to back. There is a clear difference.

The best way to describe seems to be a change in the level of maturity (nothing to do with age).

Everything just seems to feel a bit less mature (design, execution, even the way the kids carry themselves feels different... )

Look at the first minute and the ending of 2012, a lack of maturity would be the best way to describe.

Again, it isn't the age of kids... or necessarily the kids themselves. It just feels like a change in both a maturity of environment and design.

I would love to see them return to the level they are known for. Maybe what is needed is a different style of leadership? Drum corps tend to be more consistent with strong personalities at the helm, particularly someone quite good at saying no.

Edited by danielray

Except none of that happened. "The rest of the staff" is the same this year as it was in 2010 and 2011, when they placed 2nd and 3rd, respectively, winning percussion in '11. Vanguard's musical staff these days is Regiment's musical staff from 3 or 4 years ago.

The numbers from this weekend make it appear as if they've got a bead on where they want to go with the show, and are making the right adjustments. No one really thought they were going to go from 8th to 1st, did they? 8th to "better" is reasonable, given how much more competitive things are now than they were 96 and 97, last time they had a relative rough patch.

Brass arranger from Phantom and percussion staff from Phantom. Brass staff, no Phantom. Here are the bios of the SCV brass staff. I think you'll see a pattern.

George Wozniak

George is the former Brass Co-Caption Head for the highly recognized Bluecoats Drum and Bugle Corps. He was with the Bluecoats from 2003 to 2011. He was the Brass Co-Caption Head from 2006-2011

Bob Higgins

Bob Higgins spent the last 6 years as Brass Instructor for the Bluecoats, where his primary duties consisted of vocal/ear training and low brass. Bob's previous drum corps experience includes 4 years with the Glassmen brass staff (93-96)

Daniel Galloway

Daniel was on staff with the Spirit from JSU as a visual instructor in 2006 and assistant visual caption head in 2007/2008. He has been a consultant for Spirit in 2008 and 2009. Daniel currently finished his 2nd season on the brass staff with the Bluecoats Drum and Bugle Corps and will be working with the Santa Clara Vanguard for the 2012

Mark Nichols

Mark is returning to Vanguard for a second year. Prior to that Mark taught for 5 years at the Bluecoats Drum and Bugle Corps. He worked primarily with the low brass and led one of the top tuba lines in DCI history

Joe Busuito

Joe is a former brass instructor for the Bluecoats Drum and Bugle Corps

Patrick Geren

... went on to march with the Bluecoats from 2006-2010 and served as the Horn Sergeant for two consecutive seasons (2009-2010). (...) In 2011, he served as the primary Tuba Technician for the Blue Stars Drum & Bugle Corps.

Bryen Warfield

... His drum corps experience includes being a marching member of the Bluecoats Drum and Bugle Corps from 2007, 2009 and 2010.

Scott Dupre

He spent three years as a member of the Bluecoats mellophone line before aging out in 2010. With the Bluecoats, he served as section leader for the 2009 and 2010 seasons, was a soloist in the 2010 production, Metropolis, and was named brass member of the year in 2010.

Ryan Adamsons

Ryan's drum corps experience includes five years as a marching member of the Bluecoats from 1998 to 2002 where he was a section leader, soloist, and horn sergeant, followed by six years on the brass staff as the mellophone instructor from 2003 to 2008 before rejoining the staff in 2011.

Scott Whitford

In the past few years, he has had the privilege of serving on brass staff for the Boston Crusaders Drum and Bugle Corps and Glassmen Drum and Bugle Corps as well as dozens of marching bands