Why are the East coast scores Lower?

Top 3 will be very competitive and the next 3 as well.

So is everyone pretty much agreed that there's no way any corps in that next group can catch the top three in the remaining five and a half weeks? That the corps have, as it were, slotted themselves at least that far?

His clarifications and my explanation (below) crossed in cyberspace. I restate them.

1. He reacts to my mention of a revolving door of staffers by giving us the number of 33 staffers present at the H.S. where the Cadets are practicing today in a foggy, drizzly day. From this and other posts, I respond that he is too much a loyalist and invite him to look more critically.

2. To my question, if the performance is poor why do the numbers go up? I suspect some behind the scenes Hopkins-style politics. NJcorpsguy does not dispute this.

3. He does not dispute my contention that on certain shows Cadets are being overscored.

Cadets' scores have gone down. 6/25 - 79.3; 6/26 - 78.2; 6/28 - 77.6. They've started to climb back up. But to your point, the reason a poor performance may not be reflected from the previous score is that the judges aren't comparing the current performance to the previous, most likely because they weren't at the previous show. They base their numbers on what they see that night and that number is a product of a number of things, not the least of which is the other corps performance.

The number the judge gives out isn't necessarily saying "Cadets guard is an 8.2 tonight," as much as they're saying "Cadets guard is .9 better than Phantoms guard which is 2.3 better than Madisons," etc., etc.

And then of course, Hop gives the judges kickbacks. That's why they've dominated so consistently over the past decade.... :doh:

So is everyone pretty much agreed that there's no way any corps in that next group can catch the top three in the remaining five and a half weeks? That the corps have, as it were, slotted themselves at least that far?

it will be interesting when SCV gets into the mix / but the 5 point pad between Cadets & Phantom/Bluecoats points to a gap there

Cadets' scores have gone down. 6/25 - 79.3; 6/26 - 78.2; 6/28 - 77.6. They've started to climb back up. But to your point, the reason a poor performance may not be reflected from the previous score is that the judges aren't comparing the current performance to the previous, most likely because they weren't at the previous show. They base their numbers on what they see that night and that number is a product of a number of things, not the least of which is the other corps performance.

The number the judge gives out isn't necessarily saying "Cadets guard is an 8.2 tonight," as much as they're saying "Cadets guard is .9 better than Phantoms guard which is 2.3 better than Madisons," etc., etc.

And then of course, Hop gives the judges kickbacks. That's why they've dominated so consistently over the past decade.... doh.gif

Said one director to me last night, none of the scores matter until Minneapolis. I agree that SCV's placement may be a major factor for relative placement for most corps.

newjerseycorpguy, on 01 July 2013 - 02:05 AM, said:

why are the east coast scores so much lower?

Global Warming.

[/quote

DCI politics.

Edited by wvu80

I think until the corps most expect to be contenders meet for the first time, which will be Minneapolis, the judges scores will only be a guide. Right now I think it is safe to say based on results that BD and Crown will be two of the top 3, whether Cadets would be a front runner, perhaps the front runner or whether SCV will round out the top three is speculation. If Cadets are the third of the top three contenders, where SCV falls in relation to Phantom and Bluecoats is again, speculation. Early season judging cannot predict who will be the final corps in the Top 7. I think we'll have to wait until San Antonio to make solid predictions in that regard, perhaps even Allentown.

Because of the earth's rotation.

The sun goes down sooner in the east than in the west.

This gives corps in the west more time to improve before their scores come in.

People think the scores all come together at the same shows because the judges are the same, but it is really because they are in the same time zone.

There's no arguing with science.

• Like 1

get everyone together with a full panel, and watch things shake up