If BD Wins, We Riot!

The " environment " that our forefathers handed down to us was borne out of protest asnd revolution. I don't want to get preachy here with this, but for better or worse, remaining silent is just not in Americans DNA. Booing of course is not civil behaviour. But Civil Disobedience is as American as apple pie, whether it comes from the Right ( Aristocratic Colonial Merchants against the Brittish Crown to the Tea Party of today) or from the Left ( Workers Party Protests to the OWS's of today ). The worst thing thst could happen to a society in my opinion are those forces that want to silence others voices of discontent. I dislike it when I hear booing, and don't personally engage in it. But I dislike the thought of those that want to stifle freedom of expression and freedom of speech even more. Those people are control freaks and tend to creep me out the most.... ok, enough of that preachiness from me for the day, sorry.

A great example of someone else who preached the same thing is John Steinbeck in his book the Grapes of Wrath. I don't remember the exact wording but he said that the world should not fear when greed starts taking over, but to fear when people start to stop caring that it is.

So we have several topics going with "simultaneous responsibilities."

:satisfied:/>/>

One year Rocky wins an oscar, another Apocalypse Now. One tugs at the "underdog wins" heart-strings, the other is downright disturbing.

At their place in history, each deeply affected the audience, (or at least me.) In context, it seemed a long time since we had seen an underdog win at the movies. Then, also Star Wars came out, and the heroes save the day. For Apocalypse Now, we were faced with some obscenities of war, and madness.

So, DCI is tasked with trying to come up with a system of evaluation that appeals to everyone? Every recap is torn down for the smallest indication of impropriety. Judges have to rate that specific performance, but they can't vary too far from what all the other judges have given. They shouldn't be allowed to slot the units, but how could corps x beat corp y from one day to the next. They shouldn't be allowed to see what other judges have given, but they are out to lunch if they don't give numbers in the same ball park. The judges must only reward shows that conform to Rocky criteria, and Apocalypse Now shows should be penalized. Judges should be completey independent, No, judges should have dc experience so they can properly evaluate demand. Judges should have their entire life reviewed for possible associations with any person who will ever be on staff at any drum corps, ever.

How, in the world can we expect to come up with an acceptable form of evaluation?

Edited by c mor
  • Like 1

Granny Smith for president!!! Or queen!!! Or whatever she wants!!! :thumbup:/>

I want her as my co-blogger for Indy Prelims. (Actually, I already asked her, but she's in New York for something she has to do. Are you available?)

I think my new tagline needs to read

"Booing!!!" Because its illegle to riot!

When I was 19 I had been living away from my parents for over a year in a city about three hours away. I had a full-time job, an apartment and a car payment. I had a savings account where I put half of my pay to help get myself to college.

It's time we start expecting them to be adults.

Most of these comments feel like you've taken them straight from here:

http://www.quickmeme.com/Old-Economy-Steven/popular/?upcoming

While I agree with a certain degree of what you've said about generational attitudes, the simple fact of the matter for the past few years is that Millenials are facing the worst job market since the Great Depression. What you did when you were nineteen? I would pay good money to watch you try that these days. People who already have college degrees and part-time work experience (like me) are having an incredibly difficult time getting full-time work as opposed to part-time.

• Like 5

Start rioting! I would give BD a 75 % chance of winning Crown 15% and Cadets 10%. You have a judging community that are no more than a bunch of puppets.

SOOOOO TRUE about the puppets.

• Like 1

I want her as my co-blogger for Indy Prelims. (Actually, I already asked her, but she's in New York for something she has to do. Are you available?)

Mike, I wish!!!

I'm at a wedding that weekend. Not mine. LOL. Been there, done that. :smile:

Can I take you up on that offer next year or soon thereafter???

To all the folks that have complained over the years about BD. If you really want to send a signal to the organization what I would suggest is a massive boycott at finals. EVERYONE walk out of the stands on their finals performance. If they play to a half empty crowd MAYBE BD will get the hint. Otherwise it will be bussiness as usual and more of it. Especially if they win.

• Like 1

And here we go...

It is ok to boo "the judges"

It is ok to be vocal in our displeasure in what we do not like and what we have paid our hard earned money to see!

It is ok to make sure that those around you, know you did not agree with the people who made the decisions!

It is ok to stamp your feet and say I want, I want, I want...

It is ok to alienate yourself from others around you as long as you are making your point...

It is also ok to use proper "time and place" judgement.

It is also ok to look around you and see if you are a nuisance or if you are being rude.

It is also ok to use decorum and appropriate behavior as though we were taught manners by our parents.

It is ok to NOT have a public tantrum because you didn't get what you felt you should have gotten.

I guess I am saying that sure, you can whine #### and moan about all you want, heck you certainly have the right, but I am also saying that your mother would be ashamed of you... Assuming she had the capacity!

• Like 4

I believe that some of the booing is directly related to the perceived attitude that comes from BD. These attitudes are expressed by members who were posting "16" on their Facebook pages before the season started, or posting "FYWW" at the end of other seasons (Google for what it means if you want to), or belittling others who have openly, but respectfully, disliked their current production. The "entitled to a title" attitude may be good as an internal work ethic, but it sure as heck stinks as a method of public relations.

I'm copying and pasting below a reply that I made in another thread because I think it's exactly why the booing is happening:

What you are observing is not just about liking only one or the other of BD or Crown. I think there's a history here with BD in recent years. It goes something like this:

Those who have voiced dislike for the direction of BD are often scorned and assumed to be simply too unsophisticated to "get" BD. I personally see this from current and former members that I'm familiar with, and we've encountered it here on DCP, too. Personally, this particular attitude really grates on me. I have no problem with pride, with competitive chest thumping, with believing in the corps you are in and striving for the absolute best. But people don't have to be an ### about it.

So, to be clear: I don't think BD members work less than anyone else. I don't think they have an easier show than anyone else. I respect the work they do, but I don't respect the attitude. Part of your observation may be that some of us are tired of this part of the BD equation right now.

So basically - if people don't want the audience being jerks and booing, maybe the first step is to stop acting like some, or most of, the audience is your enemy.

• Like 2