If BD Wins, We Riot!

I'm curious as to the reasons many a top player goes to BD? In my opinion it's primarily winning performances and not so much about the musical selections. Obviously this is very debatable and will ruffle some feathers, but that is not my intent.

Their shows today are not my cup of tea but that's my personal taste. To me they are forgetable.

I have noticed Crown taking a BD turn in their show designs, the only difference is the musical choices are more fan friendly. This is a smart move and has steadly been pulling top talent from other corps.

I do find it interesting how Crowns percussion scores all of a sudden started getting tanked.

• Like 1

I'm curious as to the reasons many a top player goes to BD? In my opinion it's primarily winning performances and not so much about the musical selections. Obviously this is very debatable and will ruffle some feathers, but that is not my intent.

Their shows today are not my cup of tea but that's my personal taste. To me they are forgetable.

I have noticed Crown taking a BD turn in their show designs, the only difference is the musical choices are more fan friendly. This is a smart move and has steadly been pulling top talent from other corps.

I do find it interesting how Crowns percussion scores all of a sudden started getting tanked.

It's not all of a sudden at all. Percussion has been CC's one weakness for a while.

Certain not my business. But if your neighbor decides his personal means of processing his argument with you is to verbally insult your children as they pull up into your driveway. He certainly has every right to process his anger with you, but I'm my guess that you would find a need to respond in some way...is that an invasion of his privacy....entering into his processing domain?....and would your reaction be considered pompous. I (and others) are responding to you and others that have found it comfortable to insult a drum corps.....any corps.....where do you think you earned that right? And why does it give you comfort? Those are the more important questions you need to face.

Apparently, you need to ask yourself several questions. For starters, why is every subjective disagreement in this context an "insult", in your point of view? And do you really mean to equate booing scores with someone coming onto your property, getting in your child's face and insulting them verbally as they emerge from whatever vehicle brought them onto your driveway?

This "insult" concept is quite the overreach. Say, for example, someone thinks the Blue Devils are the most impressive thing they have ever seen - until they see, for example, Carolina Crown. Say, also in this example, that someone thinks the Blue Devils are the 2nd greatest corps in all of world history forever, and only short of 1st by a few scant tenths of a point to that Crown show they also saw. Is that inherently insulting to the Blue Devils? Or is it only insulting when someone shares that opinion with others?

• Like 2

Okay, so I just came from dinner and they served meatloaf. I HATE the meatloaf here. It gives me the runs and so I don't eat it, which means I'm hungry and when I'm hungry I get very cranky. And when I'm cranky I get heartburn and when I get heartburn I say sharp stuff on DCP. So forgive me for anything else I say tonight, but...

Pet Peeve: Insincere people who pop onto a thread and say stuff like, "Really!? This thread is still going on?" or, "What! 70 pages of the same ole' stuff." I liken it to that itch I sometimes get in the nether regions when I'm in public. It's nothing major and for the most part I try to ignore it, but after awhile I just want to throw something and say a few curse words.

Suggestion: Just stay away. You're obviously interested or else you wouldn't ride in on your mighty steed trying to belittle the rest of us.

Agreed.

My other peeve is the "drive-by poster" who essentially comes upon 3 (or 4) posters in a 'hot" debate (that if done face to face would normally be accompanied by spittle and red ears)....then this poster picks one of the debaters and waylays that individual for arguing, while leaving the others untouched. In referring to Pg 40 of the "Jeff Ream DCP Bloggers Guidebook" it clearly states..."drive-by accusations (from non-debate invested bloggers) will only be allowed if the blogger is a masterdebater!" :w00t:/>

Start rioting! I would give BD a 75 % chance of winning Crown 15% and Cadets 10%. You have a judging community that are no more than a bunch of puppets.

FOLLOW THE MONEY!

Agreed.

My other peeve is the "drive-by poster" who essentially comes upon 3 (or 4) posters in a 'hot" debate (that if done face to face would normally be accompanied by spittle and red ears)....then this poster picks one of the debaters and waylays that individual for arguing, while leaving the others untouched. In referring to Pg 40 of the "Jeff Ream DCP Bloggers Guidebook" it clearly states..."drive-by accusations (from non-debate invested bloggers) will only be allowed if the blogger is a masterdebater!" :w00t:/>/>

you have to be BD staff operating under a " nom de plume "

Agreed.

My other peeve is the "drive-by poster" who essentially comes upon 3 (or 4) posters in a 'hot" debate (that if done face to face would normally be accompanied by spittle and red ears)....then this poster picks one of the debaters and waylays that individual for arguing, while leaving the others untouched. In referring to Pg 40 of the "Jeff Ream DCP Bloggers Guidebook" it clearly states..."drive-by accusations (from non-debate invested bloggers) will only be allowed if the blogger is a masterdebater!" :w00t:/>/>

I see what you did there...

:tongue:/>

Start rioting! I would give BD a 75 % chance of winning

No, more like 99.9%. The only way they won't win is if they have a bad run-through next Saturday night. But don't count on it. They have a full point lead on CC with 9 days left to go, and CC is not going to reel them in. Not going to happen.

They will pick up another title next weekend, and that's that. And everyone who wants to see CC - or any new corps - win a title, will just have to wait until next year. Again, it has been 17 years since we have had a new first-time champion. And next year it will be 18 years.

The really sad thing? I would only give CC maybe a 5% chance of winning next year, and maybe a 2% chance for the Cadets. No one else has a shot. And indeed, only about 7-8 corps today have any shot of winning a future title, ever. Yes, the competitive landscape has become that unbalanced. It is really sickening, and it is one of the reasons why I have stopped following and supporting this activity. I have completely punched out.

The situation is disgusting, but this is the result of the financial and legislative decisions that DCI has made over the past 20 years. I don't know if this what Acheson & Co. wanted - but they got what they deserved.

Edited by oldschooldbc
  • Like 1

FOLLOW THE MONEY!

OK, so we know that you've either seen "All the Presidents Men," or you haven't seen it at all, but you've heard the catch phrase and are repeating it here, in a manner that implies that everyone will of course know what you mean. But what are you saying? Are illicit dollars changing hands, Blue Devils paying off DCI or the judging community? Is their organization so wealthy that everyone is afraid of them so they can call all the shots, godfather style? Are they such a lucrative draw, are they putting so many fans in the seats and selling so much merchandise that DCI can't afford not to put them in first place? Is System Blue about to go public and pull the country out of recession?

What are you talking about?

Fred O.

So go explain to the kids in BD ...

There's no need to explain it to these adults, because they're not idiots. Everyone knows what/who the booing is aimed out regardless of how many threads BD fans jump into and try and say the kids will think its aimed towards them.