Allentown 2013

Man, that is a pretty blatant rip-off.

Are you sure it's not an homage?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

So if a corps plays a song that another corps has played in the past, is that a "rip off"? Is there some rule that things can only be done on the field one time or by one corps only?

Did you see that drum major salute? That is what "corpsx" drum major did! What a rip off!!!!

Edited by old drmmjr
  • Like 1

Man that is a pretty blatant rip off.

Not gonna call it "blatent rip off" or a "homage to", but there's another section that "reminds me a lot of..."

During Crowns show the flag ripple/ run that's done quickly backfield with rainbow scheme colors. The ripple matches perfectly with the musical runs in the brass.

Very "similar to" the backfield rainbow flag ripples matched to brass Cadets did in 1998.

First thing that popped into my mind. Seriously.

Crown's narration made me throw up in my mouth last night; yikes! Glad my favorite team abandoned that nonsense several years back

Thanks for your opinion. I'd feel bad for the people sitting in front of you while you watched Cabaret Voltaire last year (which I found to be a great show by the way). Like it or not, corps will continue to use narration. It's just the evolution of drum corps.

For those wondering, the small narration that Crown tastefully added (I personally think it added to the moment rather than detracted from it) is "Everything must have an ending, except my love (brief pause) for you".

Crown has created one hell of a production this year as has BD. It's going to all come down to who has the better run on finals night!

• Like 4

Are you sure it's not an homage?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

Maybe the BD's feathers are an homage to Crown 2007's pheasant feather.

Edited by ashevillemurphy

I didn't really want to imply a connection but the trick is achieved in a very similar way and it's definitely the easiest way to describe it to someone who hasn't seen it yet... I'll also leave that you could draw a parallel from both illusions to what Cadets did in 2005 with the character that switches going into the door and I'm sure there are other examples out there.

Thanks for your opinion. I'd feel bad for the people sitting in front of you while you watched Cabaret Voltaire last year (which I found to be a great show by the way). Like it or not, corps will continue to use narration. It's just the evolution of drum corps.

For those wondering, the small narration that Crown tastefully added (I personally think it added to the moment rather than detracted from it) is "Everything must have an ending, except my love (brief pause) for you".

Crown has created one hell of a production this year as has BD. It's going to all come down to who has the better run on finals night!

I'm responding to this only because I honestly feel that Crown's narration is the weakest part of a show I otherwise really love and Cabaret Voltaire is also another show I love.

I want to make an important distinction. Narritive, as defined from wikipedia is as follows:

A narrative (or story) is any account of connected events, presented to a reader or listener in a sequence of written or spoken words, or in a sequence of (moving) pictures

The spoken words Crown uses in their show clearly falls under the category of a narrative. They specifically tell the story of the two lovers on the bench.

But does what BD used last year fall under the category of a narrative? There isn't actually a sequence of events described by it. It doesn't connect or provide any sort of story in and of itself. What BD uses I would describe simply as dialogue. You can only really extrapolate a narrative if you combine it with the other elements of the show.

To borrow a little from screenwriting if you need to use narration you have failed in some way as a story teller in the medium, unless you can provide a compelling reason for the narration.

My issue with Crown's narration is I don't quite see the argument for it. It appears to be used in large part to make the ballad and very end of the show more emotional. I would appreciate the product more if they were able to achieve this without the narration.

The line I feel most ironic is "so profound was their love for each other, they needed no words to express it." Yet... that's exactly what we need in this show it seems.

Anyway, just my two cents. I think way too much about this stuff!

• Like 3

I guess if you believe that, then BD '10 was a ripoff of SCV '85. Same idea. Apparently that matters to you, so there you go.