A few thoughts on DCI then, now, & future...

Its just one more reason. The average music program does nothing for the public outside of itself. No outreach, just sticks themselves in an auditorium for Christmas, spring concert and their assessments. Add a parade maybe. Why should I support as Joe public something they do for themselves and their parents?

Oh, ok. In that case...

thumbdown.gifthumbdown.gifthumbdown.gif

I'd prefer to substitute the thumbs down with a certain specific raised finger, with all the intent of what that gesture means, but they don't have an emoticon for that.

• Like 2

Its just one more reason. The average music program does nothing for the public outside of itself. No outreach, just sticks themselves in an auditorium for Christmas, spring concert and their assessments. Add a parade maybe. Why should I support as Joe public something they do for themselves and their parents? The product I saw in Allentown was not about entertainment or Joe public...it was about themselves....which is fine....nut stay off my yard and blocking my entrance to get groceries.

And you would suggest what?

Translation: everything in DCI should cater to what I remember from 30 years ago.

This is wrong. Flat wrong. And I feel a lot of other "older" fans feel it is wrong also.

I found this great activity back in the late 70's. Marched in the early to mid 80's, and have followed it since back then. I got so much out of it as a participant and instructor, that I want dearly for my children to participate at an even higher level. But other than one of my children who has participated, none of the others, and I have seven (7) children, have more than a passing interest and I don't blame them one bit. Why? Because they think the shows are boring.

A little perspective on me personally. I grew up listening to Rock. Led Zeplin, Doors, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rush, to name a few. Love them today still! But I also listen to Alice in Chains, Disturbed, Shinedown, and a host of other "New age" rock bands. I can and do enjoy old and new, and welcome the change in drum corps. But the change that we have been seeing for several years now is not going to keep me or many others around much longer. I am engaged by fewer and fewer shows each year. It is very sad for me that this is the case, but it is the case.

Everything in DCI need not be what I remember from 30 years ago, but it needs to give me something to cheer about or it will die in my eyes.

• Like 2

Oh, ok. In that case...

thumbdown.gifthumbdown.gifthumbdown.gif

I'd prefer to substitute the thumbs down with a certain specific raised finger, with all the intent of what that gesture means, but they don't have an emoticon for that.

That's exactly the attitude of reflective of the activity and music education towards the public. This is why outside of band parents....nobody cares or supports you. What do I suggest....same thing I thought on Sunday afternoon at camps doing run through in the winter.......why aren't we getting in our cars and setting up in the mall where the public is and giving them music? Or a free public venue like a park where the community is? Or a clinic for the local HS kids and band programs and shlep some pizzas or pasta together. No.....let's stay in our box and ##### how we get no support or the public doesn't understand how important we are and what we do.

If you dont think nearly all corps/bands do these things, you truly are ignorant...

Edited by euponitone
  • Like 2

But the change that we have been seeing for several years now is not going to keep me or many others around much longer. I am engaged by fewer and fewer shows each year. It is very sad for me that this is the case, but it is the case.

Everything in DCI need not be what I remember from 30 years ago, but it needs to give me something to cheer about or it will die in my eyes.

If we stop talking in generalities and say specifically which shows each year were engaging and which were not I bet we would all be pleasantly surprised.

"I don't get all the little dancing and pirouettes and gestures that the members do every time they change positions, how can that really raise GE at all? It looks fruity."

As one of those "fruits" you mention in your post, I really resent your remark. The LGBT community is EVERYWHERE on the drum corps field, from the design team, to management, to the performers themselves.

Just a thought from one of the "fruits."

Brother I mean no disrespect to any LGBT. Hell, I live in Hillcrest in San Diego, and if you know anything about Hillcrest...

Fruity, cheesy, nutty...these are all words that describe foods, and also tend to describe an action. Has nothing to do with sexual orientation or bias. There was another poster in this thread that used "gay" as a negative connotation and you didn't even harp on him.

• Like 2

Brother I mean no disrespect to any LGBT. Hell, I live in Hillcrest in San Diego, and if you know anything about Hillcrest...

Fruity, cheesy, nutty...these are all words that describe foods, and also tend to describe an action. Has nothing to do with sexual orientation or bias. There was another poster in this thread that used "gay" as a negative connotation and you didn't even harp on him.

I don't know a thing about Hillcrest or wherever it is that you live--is that supposed to make a difference? Are you saying that because you apparently live around a gay community that somehow automatically gives you a pass to say something like that? And I didn't see the other comment you mentioned--but we're not talking about what he said, we're talking about YOUR comment, so don't divert me.

If you weren't using the term "fruity" to mean effeminate or less-than-masculine, I'll eat my hat.

• Like 2

I don't know a thing about Hillcrest or wherever it is that you live--is that supposed to make a difference? Are you saying that because you apparently live around a gay community that somehow automatically gives you a pass to say something like that? And I didn't see the other comment you mentioned--but we're not talking about what he said, we're talking about YOUR comment, so don't divert me.

If you weren't using the term "fruity" to mean effeminate or less-than-masculine, I'll eat my hat.

• Like 1

Simma, it's the internet. Far worse has been said that did not attract the PC police.

• Like 1