Chat Room for Prelims and Semis!

Still had the correct answer to the man's assertion that a corps with a 7th place drumline doesn't deserve a title. Cadets '84 was 7th in drums, and just squeaked by with the title.

what saved Cadets ### was the spreads in other places. Now, there are few spreads anywhere else. And since drums guys are the only ones with the balls to put a spread in there....

• Like 1

I feel stupid for asking but is Semi's top 17 or top 25??

I would hate to be...Crown's [percussion] staff:

The pressure on them for the next 48 hours will be incredible. Your corps has a shot to win its first title ever - and your caption is costing the corps the title. Either they find a way to squeeze another half a point out of that line - or it is over.

It's going to be a long bus ride back to Fort Mill. Heck, if I were them, I wouldn't want to get on the bus.

Win or lose, Crown needs to rethink their entire percussion program from composition to execution, and it needs to be as prolific as their brass. The section needs some shaking up.

• Like 2

what saved Cadets ### was the spreads in other places. Now, there are few spreads anywhere else. And since drums guys are the only ones with the balls to put a spread in there....

True. Crown would need to dominate in brass, guard, and GE to counteract the percussion score. Although, .15 is a pretty tiny spread for two days of competition..... :thumbup:

Hey...who was the guy on here all summer overhyping BDB in drums saying they'd be top 12 in that caption?

how's 20th?

BD performer over book only one sheet, Crown 2.

looks like the drum judge went the entire show without a sub box tie. That's ####### impressive

visual sheets kept Cavies and madison tied

interesting recap

• Like 2

I just got back from Lucas Oil Stadium. You actually learn more from DCP than being there in person, specifically the one point penalty for BAC. It does explain why BAC was below Blue Knights. Just a few thoughts before I go to bed:

I'm not a percussion person, so I can't add anymore than what has been said regarding Crown's percussion problems. However they have tied BD with low percussion scores and they have also topped BD with similar point spreads. It's almost a repeat of last year but for me, the big difference is that Crown's show is more controlled this year, there is time to absorb what it is they are doing, and they are far more confident. BD is not as strong as they were last year and the show is not as original. I did think BD was somewhat off visually, but they did have some strong musical moments. I still think the victory could go to Crown, and I don't anticipate that Cadets will win as one poster mentioned. If anything I could see SCV placing third.

Bluecoats and Phantom surprised me a bit. I thought Bluecoats were very good but Phantom was on fire.

Cavies show is not my favorite, but they did do a very good jib this evening, particularly musically. Really enjoyed Madison this evening. Tonight's show may be the best they'll do this year, though if they break 90 you won't hear any complaints from me. BAC's score without the penalty scored about right. Cavies and Madison should not take comfort in the point spread either with or without the penalty. Boston was a bit flat this evening which happens from time to time. As long as it doesn't happen on Saturday, that's all that matters. Blue Knights did have a good night this evening, but I don't them higher than tenth.

Blue Stars and Spirit also had good shows this evening. I thought both scored a bit higher than I expected. I was particularly happy for Spirit. I wondered after Allentown if they'd be vulnerable. For Crossmen or Troopers to make finals, they will have to have the best show of the season and hope Blue Stars or Spirit have a bad night, but Blue Stars want to return to the top 12 and Spirit wants to make it three in a row. Still some of the most enjoyable moments of the day were when Troopers, Crossmen, Pacific Crest, and Colts performed.

I'm not sure why Academy has scored as low as it has this year. I really like tier show and it's a bit of a departure for them.

Tomorrow should be a great show. I expect BAC will have a better night and if the smoke did cause the penalty, I hope they get rid of it. I'm not sure it added all that much. It will also be interesting to see what happens with Phantom/Bluecoats and if Crown tops BD, tings will really get exciting.

• Like 2

Now? 25

This year yes, thanks!! I really wanted to see BDB, SCVC, Mandarins, PC, Jersey Surf and a few others I haven't seen this year

Win or lose, Crown needs to rethink their entire percussion program from composition to execution, and it needs to be as prolific as their brass. The section needs some shaking up.

They just changed their percussion program two years ago. So far it's not working out as well competitively as the Lee Beddis era, but it does take time for a new staff to come in and establish a quality program. As painful as it is to have one section below the level of the rest, they should focus on building a program that long-term can play with the big names.

For certain. I was supremely disappointed for the kids in that drumline because their program just doesn't work. It isn't well integrated at the beginning at all and the whole show otherwise it plays second fiddle. Their feature wasn't too bad, but wasn't as clean as it needed to be.

Moving on to talk about BD, they really impressed me with their start and end, but that middle was... Let's just say interesting. The problem with the drill isn't the scatter sets as some people I know have called into question, it's that there's too much low-paced marching without high-end playing. That trend began in the middle, and by the end, it was better through tempo flux, but overall had me wanting something more.

The start was very satisfactory in all aspects for me, tune recognition, execution appreciation, overall enjoyment, etc. But the middle just didn't serve right, I couldn't tell if it was a really long, overdone transition, or if it was supposed to be it's own thing. The ending had its issues, but it was more like the beginning than it was like the middle. It was still blatant to me they had the edge on Crown, a few minor visual issues and some little cracks in brass were all that let the Carolina corps take as many captions as they did if you ask me.

I really like BD's program and concept, but I would love to see it revisited.

• Like 1