dca weekend thoughts

Heartliner ... "Up and Away" was a nice little show about flight, and while I didn't really reognize the music, it was enjoyable and easy to follow, but very technical and lacking the "oomph" needed to help in GE. It must be a sign of how their home circuit is: the technicality of it was appreciated, but it never just reached me and pulled me in emotionally. Wish we could have seen them again Sunday.

I'm only now catching up with the Saturday-only corps on the Fan Network stream. I immediately recognized the closer, "America" from West Side Story (though not the other melody it was mixed with), and the piece before that, John Denver's / Peter, Paul and Mary's "Leaving on a Jet Plane", but not the second number. I'm a little worried about their first number, which I did know, John Williams's theme from Catch Me If You Can, because I've heard that that marching groups are generally advised they won't be able to get recording rights to Williams's work.

I'm only now catching up with the Saturday-only corps on the Fan Network stream. I immediately recognized the closer, "America" from West Side Story (though not the other melody it was mixed with), and the piece before that, John Denver's / Peter, Paul and Mary's "Leaving on a Jet Plane", but not the second number. I'm a little worried about their first number, which I did know, John Williams's theme from Catch Me If You Can, because I've heard that that marching groups are generally advised they won't be able to get recording rights to Williams's work.

Sunrisers through the years did a lot of John Williams music never had a problem getting the rights to it .

Sunrisers through the years did a lot of John Williams music never had a problem getting the rights to it .

That's because back in the 80's and 90's, Music rights were not an issue!

Well, they were, it's just that drum corps ignored 'em.

Hence....not an issue!! :whistle:/> :tongue:/>

LOL

(btw..John...I tried sending you a private message, but I received a response saying you were not accepting private messages...)

Edited by FPonzo

Hence....not an issue!! :whistle:/>/> :tongue:/>/>

LOL

(btw..John...I tried sending you a private message, but I received a response saying you were not accepting private messages...)

Hey Frank,

As one competitor on the field to another, I wanted to congratulate you on your placement for Finals. Although we've only been introduced briefly during Minicorps, I've greatly enjoyed listening to you play and its fantastic to see the Caballeros do well. Of course I sure wish we could have placed better, but I can't complain about placing behind two such great organizations as the Buccaneers and Caballeros. You guys sounded great from the endzone as we were waiting to step on the field and I think we had the best seat in the house for your final set!

You ever think about pooling your expertise with (for instance) Big W and writing a History of our activity?

I'd read it...

Ray, Fran, et al

How about a gathering of the more "experienced" people and have a round table(s) discussion about our activity. have a tape recorder on each table and record the "I REMEMBER THAT......" We can all look up the scores of a show or season, but not the personal stories that went on behind the scene, or just stories and memories. After a bit, rotate members to new groups - each person will feed off each other for new stories. Just think of what we have lost with the passing of "lefty" Meyer of Sky, Jim Costello of Hawthorne, Vince Bruni of Empire, Pepe, and on and on. All of there thoughts, memories and stories are gone and can never be duplicated. Think of what we could learn from Jimmy Russo, Lou Storck, GEORGE HAYEK (a Caballero from 1946!!!)David Bruni, and sooooo many more. We need to preserve this for future generations.

This could take place at next year's HOF dinner or other time when they would be togeter.

• Like 1

I'll start at the top an work down, and for corps that did both days, I'll comment on both.

Bucs....When I first saw the show I thought they may have bitten off more than they could chew. Even at prelims, I recognized the incredible demands placed on the performer. I heard people saying "it's not hard being on a ladder playing"....bull ####. The Bucs definitely went the thinking mans route with the show this year, and nailed it with the intellectual and aesthtic parts of effect. They had some moments where they hit on the emotional, but the way the musical design flowed didn't allow some of those moments to come out the way they did last year. I felt, especially in Bacchanale they avoided some of the more familiar parts of the song on purpose, and that was ok. Being able to sit and watch the show without taking notes really allowed me to catch a lot of things...little moments and detailing you don't see at the DCA level. I mean who in DCA has the drumline running a crazy serpent drill during a percussion feature, while at most getting to the forte level dynamically? Usually you see thatkind of thing and they're playing a lot of 8th notes and high sticking stuff, not all kinds of flams and diddles.

After prelims I still wasn't sure, and thought maybethe spread between Bucs and MBI was too big. Finals sealed the deal. This was the show Bucs aimed for all year, and they delivered. I mean watching the sequeantial rifle toss while on the ladders, then throwing them to the members behind them, getting down and then trading the rifles for sabers captivated me. I'm a drummer man, guard #### shouldn't be reeling me in LOL! Maybe not my favorite show of the run, but finals night the Bucs left no doubt whatsoever they remain the corps to beat in DCA. When your worst placement caption is 2nd, and you're .2 out in each, that says a lot!

Thanks for the review Jeff. And I can attest to the fact that playing on a ladder is not as easy as it looks. Especially after running around for ten minutes. :cool:/>

Edited by Mike McMullen

I'll start at the top an work down, and for corps that did both days, I'll comment on both.

Bucs....When I first saw the show I thought they may have bitten off more than they could chew. Even at prelims, I recognized the incredible demands placed on the performer. I heard people saying "it's not hard being on a ladder playing"....bull ####. The Bucs definitely went the thinking mans route with the show this year, and nailed it with the intellectual and aesthtic parts of effect. They had some moments where they hit on the emotional, but the way the musical design flowed didn't allow some of those moments to come out the way they did last year. I felt, especially in Bacchanale they avoided some of the more familiar parts of the song on purpose, and that was ok. Being able to sit and watch the show without taking notes really allowed me to catch a lot of things...little moments and detailing you don't see at the DCA level. I mean who in DCA has the drumline running a crazy serpent drill during a percussion feature, while at most getting to the forte level dynamically? Usually you see thatkind of thing and they're playing a lot of 8th notes and high sticking stuff, not all kinds of flams and diddles.

After prelims I still wasn't sure, and thought maybethe spread between Bucs and MBI was too big. Finals sealed the deal. This was the show Bucs aimed for all year, and they delivered. I mean watching the sequeantial rifle toss while on the ladders, then throwing them to the members behind them, getting down and then trading the rifles for sabers captivated me. I'm a drummer man, guard #### shouldn't be reeling me in LOL! Maybe not my favorite show of the run, but finals night the Bucs left no doubt whatsoever they remain the corps to beat in DCA. When your worst placement caption is 2nd, and you're .2 out in each, that says a lot!

Thanks for the review Jeff. And I can attest to the fact that playing on a ladder is not as easy as it looks. Especially after running around for ten minutes. :cool:/>/>

Well it sure was a great summer when I got the opportunity to run into my old friend Mike from a few years ago 78 & 79 New Horizon. It just goes to show you that once you have Drum Corps in your blood it is hard to give it up no matter what your age. Congrats to all the Corps for a Great season.

At least no ones complaining about my review so far lol

I'm a little late to the game.... Great review Jeff! thumbup.gif