Ohio State University

Don't we have profanity filters here on DCP?!? It's one thing to type the name of a state where a drum corps show is scheduled to be held, but to use that school's name in this fashion is surely obscene on a website which observes standards of decorum, family values, and decency.

I had passed what I interpreted to be your previously-expressed desire in this thread to see more of these "tributes" to the new band management, and they told me it might be a challenge, but they would see what they could do. :tounge2:

Personally I'd have written "the tribute" of the show a little differently, with say a football player dressed in a uniform of the not-to-be-mentioned school, riding aimlessly on a bicycle like a running back unable to find the endzone with a map and compass, in the path of the tornado and then flattened in the opening set and left motionless on the field for the duration of the show, but that might have been a bit too graphic. They did a more tasteful job of leaving liquidation to the imagination.

If truth be told, I'm actually laughng uproariously here. One of the funniest responses I've ever read on here. Even my wife is currenty giving me a "what the F***!!??!!" look on her face. With that, I'll most probably be spending the night on the couch....for more days than I probably could imagine. Hope you're proud of yourself.... :tounge2::tounge2:

(That's ok...I'll just blame it on the "School Up North."

You're pretty good, Peel...you're a good one. :colgate:

Edited by HornTeacher

• 2 weeks later...

If truth be told, I'm actually laughng uproariously here. One of the funniest responses I've ever read on here. Even my wife is currenty giving me a "what the F***!!??!!" look on her face. With that, I'll most probably be spending the night on the couch....for more days than I probably could imagine. Hope you're proud of yourself.... :tounge2::tounge2:

(That's ok...I'll just blame it on the "School Up North."

You're pretty good, Peel...you're a good one. :colgate:

Since you mentioned that school up North... They put out a pretty interesting show last night from a lighting perspective...

Imagine OSU doing their stick figure drill lighted like this:

Imagine what a corps could do. It could be interesting.

I saw the Oz show in person last night, since they performed at the end of the Buckeye Invitational band comp. It was very entertaining. I don't care for the UM references and think OSU and their fans take it way too far, all the way to obnoxious. That said, they did a good job. However, the way the announcer talks of them comes across as the OSUMB way is THE way of doing MB in college. It felt condescending to me.

As an educator, I think requiring MB kids to practice 25 to 30 a week is ridiculous. I would prefer simpler shows and kids spending that time learning their discipline rather than complex shows with memorized music. It's out of balance to me. To Brad T., when do you go to class if you spend nearly 70 hours per week either working or in rehearsal?

I'm sorry to say that some folks attending the show said that some OSUMB parents were attending that night to see their kid because they could not afford tickets to a football game. Again, IMO, out of balance for higher ed in general.

I saw the Oz show in person last night, since they performed at the end of the Buckeye Invitational band comp. It was very entertaining. I don't care for the UM references and think OSU and their fans take it way too far, all the way to obnoxious. That said, they did a good job. However, the way the announcer talks of them comes across as the OSUMB way is THE way of doing MB in college. It felt condescending to me.

As an educator, I think requiring MB kids to practice 25 to 30 a week is ridiculous. I would prefer simpler shows and kids spending that time learning their discipline rather than complex shows with memorized music. It's out of balance to me. To Brad T., when do you go to class if you spend nearly 70 hours per week either working or in rehearsal?

I'm sorry to say that some folks attending the show said that some OSUMB parents were attending that night to see their kid because they could not afford tickets to a football game. Again, IMO, out of balance for higher ed in general.

Are there schools that rehearse that much? I would think it would be more around 8-12 hours a week. Something like 1 hour each day during school, and maybe 3 hours on a Thursday night, maybe 3 hours for sectionals on Tuesday (11 hours total practice each week). Certainly nothing remotely close to DCI corps standards.

In Texas they have a rule: For each extracurricular activity, a school district must limit students to a maximum of eight hours of practice and rehearsal outside the school day per school week.

So under that scheme a group would practice 13 hours a week max, unless their band period is longer. Our band class was 1.5 hours each day so the most we could possibly practice per week under that rule would be 15.5 hours.

Edited by jjeffeory

Back in the late 1970s IUP (Indiana Univ of PA) was about 10-12 a week of the band together and had a new halftime show every home game. One of the better PA state school bands which had no more than 150 members (over that got in the way of the BDs drill - quote from him) and a corps style drill. Plus few hours sectional work if leader felt it was needed. Had 2 weeks of band camp which was pretty intense all dayers where style was beat into us, all the music at hand was memorialized (never carried music) and pre-game (same one every game) learned.

IIRC after camp during the week it was 2- hours drill MWF and one or 2 nights on music as needed plus sectionals

Edit (brain cells kicking in) IUP had student leaders teaching new drill to groups of students at the same time. Looked like a mess with 6-10 different groups working on their piece at the same time on the same "field" (parking lot) but VERY little standing around watching others. Little hairy that we wouldn't collide with the next group but little wasted time. Also google A R Casavant who literally wrote the book(s) on drill in the 50s/60s to move things to higher levels. The IUP BD at the time was A Rs' son Charles who ws driving himself to prove tat he was his daddys son.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I'm talking about OSUMB, not high school.

I don't remember them practicing quite that much, but I defer to your more current information.

Since you mentioned that school up North... They put out a pretty interesting show last night from a lighting perspective...

Imagine OSU doing their stick figure drill lighted like this:

Imagine what a corps could do. It could be interesting.

1. That was really impressive considering it's difficult to see the yard lines.

2. It was really refreshing to be able to actually hear woodwinds in a college marching band. Those piccolos have some power.

That'd be a really fun thing to play with for a corps encore performance that ends after nightfall.