Ohio State University

Earlier in the day, I saw about half of the Rose Bowl parade on HGTV, which appeared to be showing it uncut

The Tournament of Roses Parade was indeed aired on HGTV, in its entirety, commercial-free. It's the only major nationally televised parade I know of which does it that way. Easily the best produced parade on television. In so many ways, it's the opposite of that train wreck we see and hear on Thanksgiving day in New York City.

• Like 1

Yeah, after seeing a couple minutes each being given to the Oregon and Florida State bands in the afternoon game, I was surprised there was no footage in the evening of Ohio State or Alabama performances. Earlier in the day, I saw about half of the Rose Bowl parade on HGTV, which appeared to be showing it uncut, although I flipped to NBC occasionally, where I know that in addition to the groups you list, at least one other band, Lakota West (OH), garnered some chatter from the broadcast hosts, including praise for their uniforms from Roker, though I don't know how qualified he is in that regard.

HGTV had the Property Brother twins and Nancy O'Dell from one of those entertainment shows my wife likes to watch as the hosts. They did a good job. I just wish HGTV used less directional street-level mics to pick up the sound.

My bad and my apologies to the good folks from Mason/West Chester, Ohio.

I still get my Lakota East/West confused as I pass the school on the interstate from Cincinnati to Dayton/Centerville.

I know one of them has done very well in the indoor circuits and that one of them marched the Rose Bowl several years back.

Repeats or was it the other school's turn this year?

One of the founders of Carolina Crown, a Garfield alum, lives just down the block from one of the Lakotas where his kids are alums. Fairfield show is next town over.

Always connect the name Lakota with the Indian reservations out in South Dakota, a drive from Rapid City.

Just a reminder that once Ohio was the Wild West.

Edited by xandandl

HGTV had the Property Brother twins and Nancy O'Dell from one of those entertainment shows my wife likes to watch as the hosts. They did a good job. I just wish HGTV used less directional street-level mics to pick up the sound.

I agree, but generally HGTV is the only way to watch the Rose Parade if you want to see everyone/thing in the parade. The networks seemingly always cut the SoCA band out of the broadcast, so since I've moved out here I only watch the parade on HGTV so I can cheer on my colleagues & friends with their groups. The sound isn't the best, but it's serviceable

Yeah, after seeing a couple minutes each being given to the Oregon and Florida State bands in the afternoon game, I was surprised there was no footage in the evening of Ohio State or Alabama performances. Earlier in the day, I saw about half of the Rose Bowl parade on HGTV, which appeared to be showing it uncut, although I flipped to NBC occasionally, where I know that in addition to the groups you list, at least one other band, Lakota West (OH), garnered some chatter from the broadcast hosts, including praise for their uniforms from Roker, though I don't know how qualified he is in that regard.

I see on Youtube that OSU put on a science fiction show. I haven't been keeping up with their work: was that a new show or one they've performed before? I really liked the giant Vulcan salute. Taking that one detail from Crown '13 to a whole 'nother level.

Edit: D'oh! Had I just read the post at the top of this page, I'd have known they'd first performed the s.f. show back on Nov. 1.

Yeah as a tOSU alum I was bummed to not see the band (or Alabama's band) get much TV coverage.

Of course, The Buckeyes beating the best the SEC has to offer kinda made up for not seeing TBDBITL... :cool::cool:

• Like 1

The Tournament of Roses Parade was indeed aired on HGTV, in its entirety, commercial-free. It's the only major nationally televised parade I know of which does it that way. Easily the best produced parade on television. In so many ways, it's the opposite of that train wreck we see and hear on Thanksgiving day in New York City.

Even better for ToRP, the HGTV announcers generally STFU during the aired segments of the band (and some years, corps) performances, which the major networks generally do not do for Macy's or ToRP. You can just hear the parents screaming at their TVs when their kids who worked so hard/sacrificed so much are shown for 10 seconds of performance covered over by inane commentary on the majors which sometimes feature announcers who seem genuinely annoyed to be there. HGTV generally does an excellent job with ToRP.

Yeah as a tOSU alum I was bummed to not see the band (or Alabama's band) get much TV coverage.

Of course, The Buckeyes beating the best the SEC has to offer kinda made up for not seeing TBDBITL... :cool::cool:

I hate the SEC, but I also hate the big 10 so there's that haha

Go Ducks!

Go Ducks!

I'll be cheering for you guys in the national championship. Anyone but Ohio State lol.

• Like 2