Mulling Over Decision

As was mentioned, I came back after about five years of nothing to do with corps at all. It was a nice break. I got caught up in that negative spiral right here on dcp. The constant youth vs old. Ouway is best, no our way is best. The battle of the young guns "telling me" to donate my money to a movement that didn't really represent me anymore. Really?

I took the break. I came back. I made a post and was only trying to spark discussion on how to make things more competitive. Nothing more than that and got 19 negatives right off the bat.......really? No one wants things to be even on the competitve front? Ok, whatever.

I was on facebook and someone who shall remain nameless, was calling people bandwagon fans for just wishing Carolina Crown congrats. He then talked about the class the Devils had in taking second. I merely said you should take some of their class and extend it to the people you call names. He then sends me a personal message telling me what a pathetic person I am and how I should kill my children so they don't grow up to be like me. This is a former marching member of DCI. This does not hopefully represent most or even some of the members out there, but it is what it is.

Point is, I then posted a very heartfelt post, telling people why I am back. How I do like the sound and look of drum corps, and waited to see if the negative nellies would come out and play. I would know if it was truly time to pack it in forever. Only one person came on and tried to start junk by slamming one corps for something. I think at last count there were 24 plusses on that post.

Thank God, not all is lost. Take your break, drum corps will still be here. It is not dead, it won't die. It is stronger than all of us combined and while some corps disappear, there are alway going to be a few left. The few that are left, keep getting better and better. All star corps is what it is coming down to and it is incredible.

See you when you get back, and I won't be one of those who said, good riddance ( like I was told ), I will personally tell you, we will miss you. Every person that walk away is missed. Most people are just too stubborn to admit it. I will welcome you when you come back. Take care and enjoy walking hand in hand with that wife.

You know, you need to be careful or you're going to become our Dr Phil...

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

When some people "leave" an activity, they do more in retirement than others do actively. After aging I went to finals the next year, then a few shows in following years, then I taught for 5....then I truly left for a few years. I lost track of it all. In 05 I joined DCP and actively follow corps, and now I volunteer a tiny bit. One persons leaving corps is marching then moving on, another may cut back from touring on staff to just doing a few weekends but still considering it retiring.

Keith, even if you leave corps all together, I hope the good will stays with you. Maybe you can just answer the phone and give advice to the young ones? Years of experience is worth a pot of gold. Take some time off and go fishing.....we'll be here if you ever come back.

Really a pointless post IMO. You make it sound that the only way to participate in corps is to run, teach or march in a corps. Dude, you can spend Saturday morning frolicking with your wife then Saturday night head to your local drum corps show. And do that 1 time the whole summer and you are still a part of the activity. You just seem very bitter about your participation this far and while you may not want to teach or run a drum corps that doesn't require the statement that you are "leaving" drum corps. But rather that you would at this point in your life prefer to enjoy drum corps in a different way that is less stressful or time consuming. Welcome to being just a "fan" and it really isn't as diabolical as you make it seem.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

Garfield, I believe my comment was more along the lines of "why is talking about that so important?" That wasn't hateful just didn't think it was something we should concern ourselves with.

In any case, I can't say I am burnt out...just don't get excited about it anymore. I come here for my fix but it's not what it was a few years ago.

Thaks for your thoughts everyone

Well, there was that, plus a little more...

"I read the posts on this thread and wonder....Why would the average drum corps fan care? Seems like some people have too much time on their hands to think of this stuff. BITD, did anyone care about what money DCI made? NO! Is this the....seasons over and I want to make a name for myself on DCP? Some of you just sit at your desk or on your couch and think, "How can I cause problems on DCP today?" Gee, get a life!"

Jeesh, even back then (November, last year) you sounded like you needed a break, a vacation, or a bucket of cold water in the face! :tongue:/>

Everyone needs to go off an sharpen their saw periodically. Sounds like you're ready for that. Go enjoy. Recharge. Sharpen the saw.

Then come back and see if you can read and post without the snarkiness, and enjoy the activity again. I'll bet you can if you accept what the definition of "Is" is.

I suppose from time to time we all need a break from things. Many years I attend six or seven concerts by the Boston Symphony Orchestra and other times I take a break. It's not that I don't love the symphony or have turned my back on classical music, it's just need a change. Then I turn and they may be performing their old stand-by, Brahms' Symphony #1 and it's as if I'm hearing it for the first time. I've also been a member of the Museum of Fine Arts and love spending my days off relaxing at the museum, but again I get tired of it. It doesn't mean Monet is no longer a master, it's just I need a change of pace.

I do not have children of my own, but I do work with young people and I have nieces, nephews, and my cousins have children. I have been to my share of horrible Little League games, bad plays, and art exhibits where some pieces are so bad, they are funny. And I usually enjoy these events. I've also been to Little League games where there is a player you know you'll be saying, "I remember him when...," a school art show where you know that the kid who painted that water color will one day be in a famous gallery and you won't be able to afford the painting, and the kid who had the lead in the play will be on Broadway or a major film star. I enjoy these activities too, but whether phenomena or horrendous, I always remember that kids are involved, and that makes it enjoyable. The same holds true for drum corps. When I remember that the kids marching are kids, talented, yes, but kids none-the-less, and for me that puts everything in perspective. I can debate the old school v. new school, Key of G v. B-flat, yes to props and amplification or no to all modernization in drum corps as well as the best of them or be as wrong as the worst of them (I've been in both categories from time to time).

I also know that a good deal of what I find on DCP is not what I find in the stands at shows. For example we have debated on this site whether a certain director is worse than the devil himself, but the only comments I hear at shows is usually about his hair color. Corps that are controversial on certain posts are well received in the stands.

Now all of this is easy for me to say, I am a fan, a consummate one, yes, a knowledgeable one, well that's up to debate. The original poster has been a marching member, instructor and director so his pulling away from the activity is more of an issue. I think a break is well deserved, but hopefully it's a break and not burn-out.

Edited by Tim K

Whatever you do, never forget the many people who have participated, and will continue to participate, in the drum corps activity because of what you have contributed. You've done more than most of us here on DCP. There are people who will be grateful for your work for years to come. There will also be those who make it less than pleasant. It's fine to move away from the activity for a while, or forever, if that's what you need to do.

I suppose because I've not been involved at your level at all, I don't know what it's like to burn out this hard. But I had my years of non-involvement. Now I do what I do, and it feeds my soul in ways that make it worth my while. I also learned some fairly strong filtering skills for DCP browsing. :winky:

A few weeks ago I posted on FB that I was going to leave drum corps.

I just seem to have lost interest!

Now carry on!

Good bye and good luck !

Really a pointless post IMO. You make it sound that the only way to participate in corps is to run, teach or march in a corps. Dude, you can spend Saturday morning frolicking with your wife then Saturday night head to your local drum corps show.

Or somebody's wife, anyway. :tongue:/>

• Like 1