Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

All true and I know that. I'm also pretty sure back in 82 when Garfield began their rise, they weren't too worried about who's gonna fall! Same with Crown and now Bluecoats. I'm sure the members are learning, and having fun. I want the staff to give them a program worthy of their history. Not 30 seconds of Fanfare For The New.

In 1996, Bluecoats were competing for a spot in Finals. Transition to now and the Scouts haven't beaten the Bluecoats in how long? lol Getting beat by Bluecoats? That would have been a punch line to a joke back when I marched. Never thought I'd see the day.

I know there will probably be a few Madison fans and alumni upset with what Im about to write, but this is just my opinion.

I was extremely excited to see this years show, and after seeing it, have to say it is probably one of the biggest letdowns of 2014. Visually I think the corps has caved in to jazz stepping and prancing around the field. This used to be such a strong group in terms of marching and playing, but I guess there is a stronger need to appease the judging, and if everyone else is doing it, so be it. As for the musical book, there is nothing that grabs me and makes me want more. The Madison Scouts used to mean power, precision, and great music. But sadly, this years show has none of that. I want to be moved and entertained, but its just not happening this year.

• Like 3

I know there will probably be a few Madison fans and alumni upset with what Im about to write, but this is just my opinion.

I was extremely excited to see this years show, and after seeing it, have to say it is probably one of the biggest letdowns of 2014. Visually I think the corps has caved in to jazz stepping and prancing around the field. This used to be such a strong group in terms of marching and playing, but I guess there is a stronger need to appease the judging, and if everyone else is doing it, so be it. As for the musical book, there is nothing that grabs me and makes me want more. The Madison Scouts used to mean power, precision, and great music. But sadly, this years show has none of that. I want to be moved and entertained, but its just not happening this year.

This does not upset me in every aspect, You just stated yout opinion. It does upset me that you did not enjoy the show, well makes me sad really. What does not upset me is the fact you had the class not to disrespect my younger Brothers by saying they had little or no talent.

Thanks ,

Bill Leslie

This does not upset me in every aspect, You just stated yout opinion. It does upset me that you did not enjoy the show, well makes me sad really. What does not upset me is the fact you had the class not to disrespect my younger Brothers by saying they had little or no talent.

Thanks ,

Bill Leslie

Has this really happened in this thread? I think the VAST majority of comments have been design related, not performance related.

This is pretty much how I felt as well. Granted, I've only seen it on FN (so a huge caveat there), but it just feels to me like the tiger has lost its teeth. They're one of my favorite corps (and probably always will be) but they just don't seem to have that Madison knock-you-on-your-### swagger lately. I'm still pulling for them, though, and hope they can get it back soon.
  • Like 1

Thanks ,

Bill Leslie

Bill,

I'll love Madison until the day I die! Back in the day when I was marching, they were nothing but class and always took the time to talk to us and bond. Great times. I realize nothing can ever be like it was back then, but I'm extremely disappointed in the show design, and in my uneducated opinion, I do think the kids are having some trouble with it as well. When a show is poorly designed, it's harder to teach, harder to communicate for the performers, and you spend a majority of your time fixing rather than cleaning. I think that's where the Scouts are right now, in fixing mode. The past five years this corps has come close to returning to its roots, but for whatever reason has always backed off right as it gets close. If I could say anything to the design team it would be this: stop trying to be like everyone else and just be the Madison Scouts.

Has this really happened in this thread? I think the VAST majority of comments have been design related, not performance related.

The kids are doing what they can, and you can tell its a very talented group. No doubt they work their tales off. But you can only go as far as the vehicle will take you, and a vehicle with no wheels ain't going very far!

Just because there are a few alums posting on this thread does not mean they are speaking for all alums .

Keep on keeping on with that mantra, Bill. Meanwhile, the Scouts fall ever closer toward not making finals. But hey, at least they entertained (or maybe not), right?

I agree wholeheartedly with newseditor. Seeing all the body movement and "prancing" is not what should be expected from the Madison Scouts. My burning desire to be a Scout was born from that masculinity and power that they exuded. This castrated version of the Scouts is less than appealing...and more in line with what we saw in 2006 and 2008.

• Like 2

Keep on keeping on with that mantra, Bill. Meanwhile, the Scouts fall ever closer toward not making finals. But hey, at least they entertained (or maybe not), right?

I agree wholeheartedly with newseditor. Seeing all the body movement and "prancing" is not what should be expected from the Madison Scouts. My burning desire to be a Scout was born from that masculinity and power that they exuded. This castrated version of the Scouts is less than appealing...and more in line with what we saw in 2006 and 2008.

You joined a corps because of its "masculinity and power?" Are you compensating for something? :tounge2:

• Like 3