Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

I agree the need to express feelings. I am going to provide an example how extremely negative posts can hurt the activity. I had a couple potential financial supporters lined up and took them to a show. Once they saw some of the posts on DCP they told me they would not support a non-profit activity with so much negativity in it. Though our intentions might be good, we need to be careful of how we word our thoughts.

• Like 4

That's really unfortunate and kind of surprising. IMO, the experience of being directly involved in the activity has very little to do with the ramblings contained within this website (entertaining as they may be). This place is a fun diversion but I've never really thought of it as having any direct correlation with my memories and experiences marching in DCI. (Which I'm reminded of any time I get a chance to be around my corps, which has been all too rare lately. I'm always like, "Oh, yeah... this is what it's all about.") The real deal is so much more.

I love the Madison Scouts. Ever since I started watching drum corps in the early 90s. Especially appreciated those City of Angels shows, and I had a cassette recording of whenever they did the Doxology as an opener, though I know it wasn't called Doxology in their program.

What bums me out about this thread is reading guys talking about 'prancing', attacking the Scouts for seemingly not enough 'masculinity', which for me, reads as not-so-subtle homophobia. You know what? The Scouts are always masculine, because they are a bunch of men. Playing instruments. Interpreting music. Tossing rifles. And doing their best. I rarely post on any thread, but I am on this one because I'm disappointed in a lot of the comments that I'm reading.

I love the trombone feature this year, I think the flags are awesome, it has a very Mad Men-esque feeling. And while I wish their visual program had a little more oomph to it, I can say that Madison Scouts always entertains me and every year I can't wait to see them--whether I have the opportunity to watch them live or it has to be via the YouTube machine. But yikes, reading the comments from alums, it does really make me pause. You represent your corps--and you are free to say whatever you want, I get that. But, just like dcikon2 above, just because you can say something, doesn't mean you should.

• Like 4

What bums me out about this thread is reading guys talking about 'prancing', attacking the Scouts for seemingly not enough 'masculinity', which for me, reads as not-so-subtle homophobia. You know what? The Scouts are always masculine, because they are a bunch of men. Playing instruments. Interpreting music. Tossing rifles. And doing their best. I rarely post on any thread, but I am on this one because I'm disappointed in a lot of the comments that I'm reading.

See, now that's you bringing a slant to it that just isn't there. For example (and since you mentioned the '90s), find me shows that were more masculine than shows like '95, '97, or '99....or pretty much any show '94-'02. (sarcasm on) Surprisingly, there were a lot of gay guys in those color guards. I know that's shocking (sarcasm off). Probably 2/3rds of the guard was gay when I marched. Do those shows have any less swagger? That's about as masculine as an all-male corps can get and it has zero to do with their sexual orientation.

Really really sick of seeing people go to the "homophobia" well all the time.

Also, to address your comment in your last paragraph; I marched. I do not profess to speak for the corps that I marched with. My comments are entirely my own.

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 2

See, now that's you bringing a slant to it that just isn't there. For example (and since you mentioned the '90s), find me shows that were more masculine than shows like '95, '97, or '99....or pretty much any show '94-'02. (sarcasm on) Surprisingly, there were a lot of gay guys in those color guards. I know that's shocking (sarcasm off). Probably 2/3rds of the guard was gay when I marched. Do those shows have any less swagger? That's about as masculine as an all-male corps can get and it has zero to do with their sexual orientation.

Well, as someone who is gay, when I see words like 'prancing', or phrases attacking men for lack of masculinity, yeah, I do see homophobia. Or at least a gender attack on a bunch of men for not being manly enough. I get really sick of people not thinking about the impact of the words they choose to use, then get all bent out of shape when they're called out on it.

Even if someone uses the words prancing, mincing, effeminate, lack of masculinity, etc to describe any drum corps, particularly an all male corps, it has a certain nasty undertone that probably shouldn't be there.

Edited by DCPatrick
  • Like 1

Also, to address your comment in your last paragraph; I marched. I do not profess to speak for the corps that I marched with. My comments are entirely my own.

PSSSSST....most of the drum line IN 2011 in the corps I taught was gay....not just a guard thing...lol...today is a different world and noone really thinks twice about it or should.

knowing many in Scouts as well as other corps..not so much of an issue and its pretty open , at least with current members

• Like 1

Well, as someone who is gay, when I see words like 'prancing', or phrases attacking men for lack of masculinity, yeah, I do see homophobia. Or at least a gender attack on a bunch of men for not being manly enough. I get really sick of people not thinking about the impact of the words they choose to use, then get all bent out of shape when they're called out on it.

Even if someone uses the words prancing, mincing, effeminate, lack of masculinity, etc to describe any drum corps, particularly an all male corps, it has a certain nasty undertone that probably shouldn't be there.

and thats the key in general...even going back to opinions..one can have an opinion, BUT the words you chose can make it mean one thing or could come off as something very different.

• Like 1

I agree the need to express feelings. I am going to provide an example how extremely negative posts can hurt the activity. I had a couple potential financial supporters lined up and took them to a show. Once they saw some of the posts on DCP they told me they would not support a non-profit activity with so much negativity in it. Though our intentions might be good, we need to be careful of how we word our thoughts.

No way this happened. I'm callinng BS on this.

• Like 2

Haha. Good thing you never took these alleged "financial supporters" out amongst the corps. I heard stuff way, way, way worse on tour as both member and volunteer than would ever be allowed to be posted on DCP. DCP is extremely mild as far as internet forums go, yet it is attacked by members of the community who can't seem handle the fact that there are people out there who dare disagree with them.