Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

That last one is like, "Soo... who's marching THIS bass?"

• Like 1

Part of me really wants to hate this, but honestly I can't recall ever seeing a giant wheel in any marching environment. It certainly adds a new dynamic both for depth/height and choreography. Points for new ideas until I see it in action I guess. At least it's something they use and interact with, and not just some backdrop that sits there and does nothing. (at least that's what I'm assuming)

I assume this was a planned reveal, but I'm still not sold on why they decided to wait this long.

How is this show not getting more praise?

This is straight-up no frills, '90s style drum corps, great sounding hornline and drumline, legitimate music sources with compelling arrangements that theyre totally owning, and a mature theme (most modern drum corps themes are patronizing and "basic"). Its Classic Madison. I come back to this APD as much as I do Crown's, can't wait to see them live soon.

Certainly the best Madison Scouts show since '11, and easily one of the best the past decade.

normal
normal
Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 3

How is this show not getting more praise?

This is straight-up no frills, 90s style drum corps, great sounding hornline and drumline, legitimate music sources with compelling arrangements that theyre totally owning, and a mature theme. Its Classic Madison. I come back to this APD as much as I do Crowns, can't wait to see them live soon.

Certainly the best Madison Scouts shoe since 11, and easily one of the best the past decade.

I thought they were called spats.

Edited by BozzlyB

I thought they were called spats.

They're going to bring out sparkly green sequin spats for finals. Just to make FlamMan happy. :shutup:

• Like 2

They're going to bring out sparkly green sequin spats for finals. Just to make FlamMan happy. :shutup:

To be honest, I really, really, miss these uniforms.

Scouts-Cymbal-Line-Swashbuckling.jpg

• Like 2

To be honest, I really, really, miss these uniforms.

Scouts-Cymbal-Line-Swashbuckling.jpg

Me too. When I think Madison this is pretty much what I think of. So much has changed over the years that none of the corps - except maybe the Cavies and Cadets are immediately recognizable unless you follow the activity closely.

• Like 1

I absolutely miss those 1988-2002 uniforms. Those are still what I think of when I think Madison. They'd be pretty easy to update for modern, slimmer looks, too - there's nothing unconventional about the design.

I do like this show, and I love that they're trying music that nobody else would do, but after watching the Cinecast, it really felt like they had too many stops and starts in there. There didn't feel like there was a lot of flow.

Now that I've said that, I admit that I saw it a grand total of once. I reserve the right to update my judgement after San Antonio.

Mike

You gonna be at San An live, Mike? Whereabouts?