Spirit of Atlanta...

JKT90

I'm sure there will be some changes for San Antonio and probably more for Atlanta. You know at some point they will add some art to the sideline fronts. I haven't heard about any musical changes.

I have heard the members are -- how shall I put this? -- driven to show everyone they are much better than the scores they are receiving. They are not the type to give up, only to work that much harder. If you want to count them out of the race, go ahead -- but I'm planning on watching Spirit perform on Saturday in Finals.

Watched the Spirit drum line warm up before one their early shows and was impressed with their intensity and commitment to excellence. Wherever they place in the end, I think these kids will have a lot to be proud of.

• Like 1

I'm sure there will be some changes for San Antonio and probably more for Atlanta. You know at some point they will add some art to the sideline fronts. I haven't heard about any musical changes.

I have heard the members are -- how shall I put this? -- driven to show everyone they are much better than the scores they are receiving. They are not the type to give up, only to work that much harder. If you want to count them out of the race, go ahead -- but I'm planning on watching Spirit perform on Saturday in Finals.

I am sure they will work extremely hard. So will everyone else. Just think the design staff didn't do their work in the winter.

I am sure they will work extremely hard. So will everyone else. Just think the design staff didn't do their work in the winter.

Frankly, I don't see design as the problem. My primary concern is the lack of field practice time and the disruption to daily/travel schedules due to the bad weather this Corps has had to endure.

Example: Last night the caravan had to stop for about an hour due to some nasty winds on the way to Texas -- safety first! Things aren't looking much better for today and tomorrow. Unforeseen events like this can play havoc with your plans for the day.

Luckily, the Regional is in a domed stadium.

• Like 1

Having not seen anyone yet this summer, sitting down and watching corps all day, from 2:30 to 10:30, was a real treat. What a strong year for the activity regarding show design and proficiency. May be the best year in a very long time. While I know a FN viewing versus live is not exactly comparable, one does get a great experience nevertheless (when the feeds are working properly).

Of all corps I watched yesterday, I woke up this morning thinking about SOA the most. It is great when we get to see a corps have that special "come back" season or that amazing production that has everyone talking all summer, etc.. It is also difficult to watch/understand such a turn around as has happened with SOA this year. I have publicly been a big fan of the efforts the past four or so years, turning the corps around design and performance wise, getting into finals, and staying there. Perhaps most refreshing and exciting to me was that they took a corps with an identity that was based on success 30 years ago (I am surprised by that number even just now typing it), and gave it a facelift, made it reminiscent but new, competitive in today's activity, made it wildly appealing to most audience members' taste, and selected themes that had lots of room for musical and visual creativity. Perhaps some would argue the shows were too appealing. In other words, not lofty or heady enough for the seasoned fan, the higher brow viewer. I think those elements would have eventually been added as the corps continued to establish their rightful place among the elite top-twelve. It takes a long time to successfully rebuild, certainly when faced with a twenty-year struggle. Perhaps the powers that be weren't patient enough.

I really do hope the members are having a great experience and that the remainder of the summer isn't full of the stresses that can come when a finalist becomes overwhelmed, worrying and scrambling to get back into the Saturday show. While that may happen, I cannot imagine it at this point without major changes both with design and performance. There were multiple "blow ups" in yesterday's performance that can be viewed as that such pressure is already taking its toll on performances.

I am not sure why there has been such a change in direction. I do know there were considerable staff changes made. All those details we will never know. I have long feared for the longevity of the activity and know that when a corps like SOA has a tumble, it effects the entire activity. I hope for them the best for the rest of the summer. I also hope for some healthy questioning and conversation, responsibility and action this fall. Pulling for you SOA, as always.

Its me, the one who beats up Spirit. Not today. I think they were beat up enough yesterday. I will see them in Opelika Alabama this week I hope I am pleasantly surprised with something new and fresh.

By the way, the reason behind my contention is I can not stand seeing how far they have fallen. I wonder those of you with direct ties to the corps, what is the mindset of the members. Yesterdays performance seemed....phoned in.

Though there were severe performance issues, I would not say it was so much that the performance was phoned in as the show concept and design were phoned in back in the winter. Pretty shocking actually. There are much better designed shows 15-19. I would not be surprised if some others catch up to them. Don't hope for any one's downfall, but other deserving groups deserve the recognition and reward.

Was it really that rough yesterday? Saw the new front drops. Don't get it. I think of picket fences as more mid-west or old school east coast Americana.

Yeah, Huck Finn and all that, but there isn't enough in the show to make the picket fences meld into the whole production.

So what is the constructive criticism of this show? Can cleaning and a few additions get it into finals?

So what is the constructive criticism of this show? Can cleaning and a few additions get it into finals?

Finals? Unfortunately, after seeing the show live two nights in a row, I don't think so.

Trying to at least give my detailed criticism and why I think something isn't working:

I will pick just one portion of the show to talk about- the preshow and intro.

Play acting is difficult. How do we convince the audience that in these military based uniforms we are actually

marionettes, or vampires, or simply town folk casually out about town. Spirit has done characterization quite well the past few years. The vets have had that training. Here it comes across silly and fake, cute. Not that cute is bad,but I don't think cute plays into the intended theme of the show (theme isn't clear, so I am guessing it is supposed to be southern, laid back, down home country way of life?). The words of the song playing through the speakers doesn't say cute or visiting with neighbor on the street- going down to the river to pray, contemplating the good ole days. The play acting stops as they go into posses but nothing motivates them to do that. The recorded singing of "Down at the River to Pray" is grating live. It is not the volume, but how high they have the treble. After it repeats a third time, you are over it. Then the horn line comes in seemingly out of the blue with no relation to the prerecorded music that is playing. There is some good quality in the playing, but the form and spread causes there to be multiple missed attacks and releases throughout. The drums are connected to the form but not playing. That seems to be a major music to visual interpretation issue. While the guard costume color is pretty, the dancing and form evolution of the brass and guard doesn't show growth over the phrase or give a sense of forward momentum. The brass start the intro in two blocks, end in two blocks. There are alignment issues throughout the blocks. Though they hold the last note out and crescendo to the release there are tuning issues and the ending volume doesn't match that of say PC or Mandarins, so the wow just isn't there. It is an opening statement design choice that has been used many times by many corps and bands. At some point in the past, the level of design depth became much more developed by leading competitors. All other groups looked and learned and followed suit. The choice has been made to carry the first impression/opening statement of the entire show/season with brass only, in a difficult form, spread with no color from flags or other equipment for visual interpretation. All is at a slow tempo, with slow evolving forms that do not really change fundamentally. And you choose to not involve an entire section of the corps (the percussion). A legit but super risking design choice. Either you are going to pull this off better than it ever has been pulled off, ten years ago, twenty years ago, today, by BD, Cadets, or Crown, etc., or it is going to always fall short of creating a true wow, a moment that we all think finalist, that we all lean forward, pulled so far into the production that we are in great eager anticipation of the very next step, toss, sound, effect, etc. I don't think today that even BD, Cadets,or Crown would make a similar choice without some serious planning of what comes next or what other choices are in the show, because the pay off potential versus risk and comparisons to so many fine examples in the past, just isn't there.

I'll stop now.

Edited by derbydawg