Phantom Regiment 2014

I liked the music and I liked the arrangements. My one hope is that the ending is revised to push the stands away.

Agreed. The ending was my least favorite part, but I'd be surprised if they don't some big adjustments by Finals.

The full 30+ min (soaking) performance if anyone is interested

• Like 2

Yes interested and watched 30+. The rain may sometimes dampen the drum heads yet enhance the hornline sound as the mist carries the music. I'm glad Phantom Regiment 2014 experienced what those in years past had to experience too. Thank you for posting this video :)

Yep --- rain all over snare batter heads, plus no scoops, plus recorded from a high angle, means dryed out top head sound. Certainly the drumline execution doesn't sound bad from here. Sh*tty on-camera mics + rain + acoustics from the shell certainly are the cause of the poor capture on the previous video.

I love Phantom, but to state their position on June 11th: They are not anywhere near loud enough. And the musical arrangements are uninspiring. These are both problems that can be fixed by August, and I hope they do just that.

gabe, thank you very much for posting this. I did not have chance to see this until tonight and now I have a context in which to measure the commentary so far.

At this point, I have to agree with those who yearn for the emotional, lush, rich brass sound of the Jim and J.D. years. Lets give Chris C and the rest of the brass staff the chance to tease that result out of what may be a youthful and somewhat inexperienced horn section. I can only hope that by the time the three A contests roll around, we will hear, and applaud, the results. In the meantime, do not give up on these kids, brass or percussion.

I also enjoyed hearing my corps play the revised arrangement of Elsa's, particularly since on Friday, June 20, I will have a chance to join with Phantom and the rest of the alumni to play, for my first time, our anthem. What a treat for an old guy!

I FINALLY got to see the video. I think they'll be fine. It's not my favorite brass book but I don't think it's the atrocity that some are making it out to be. Plus, it looks like it was shot on a cell phone or the like-- there's a reason Tom Blair doesn't shoot finals on iPhones, you know.

It was shot on a Samsung Galaxy S4. As someone who doesn't like shooting video on phones (Android phones especially, ugh they're horrible), I'm sure that the awful mic had some role in the bad recording.

Transitions are a bit dull, and the synth should go (especially the stupid sighing/whispering sound used at around the nineteen minute mark), but the music seems fairly solid if a trifle too similar to last year in style or mood or both. Not classic Phantom, nor very bold, but there's room to grow.

Super random but I was just listening back to PR 2010 Into the Light on the fan network. Oh how I wish Phantom would play something that beautiful on the field again. That show had some crazy emotion just in the music itself. I just don't see how PR can squeeze much emotion out of this particular arrangement.

• Like 1