DCI Chief Judge Gary Markham's wife in the hot seat

Having grown up down the street from Lassiter and fond memories of hearing Alfred yelling over the long ranger from my driveway, I've been thinking about the story most of the day.

Their winter concert is tomorrow night . . . if I didn't live an hour and half in Atlanta traffic from them I'd go just to experience the awkwardness and potential fireworks.

Aren't high school football coaches occasionally subject to this kind of community and parental pressure?

The Lassiter Band Director pressure she is undergoing is rather common with what Coaches in high profile high school football and basketball prgrams undergo. And high profile High School Hockey programs that unexpectedely begin to lose games have to consider putting the losing Coach into the Federal Witness Protection program and secretly moved to lay out in Managua, Nicaragua or some such foreign outpost for a few years till it all blows over, and this is AFTER he is canned.

Edited by BRASSO

Again: isn't that essentially what Hopkins is saying about DCI?

yeah but look at the YEA office payroll compared to DCI

Ginny responds:

Oh my gosh!!!! I'm in tears from all of the support from friends, fellow band directors, female band directors, and people I have never met. I have received hundreds of emails and messages today from everyone around the country. Thank you, truly! I have faith in myself, faith in you and faith that my school district may finally stand up to the MDJ.

I'm all for the freedom of speech, however not at the harm or damage of others and not an unbalanced, one sided story that has no evidence.

Maybe this can be the start of something good.

No teacher should have an article written about them that has no merit, evidence and only reports opinions of one side.

What ever happened to fair and balanced reporting?

I feel sad for all teachers. This proves that if a few just don't like you, you are then at risk for a public attack.

I'm going to RISE UP. And I am not scared. Bring it on. I am ready to stand up to the bullies and fight for all music educators and teachers.

I'm a #### good band director. And here I go....

Must say I am glad Ginny has obtained private counsel in this matter. Seems people only respond through the threat of litigation. Looks like she is going to fight this. Good for her.

On a disappointing note, it is unfortunate that her lawyer refered to the success of the program being related to winning champiionships. My experience is that Ginny is an educator. She is there to teach and help young musicians progress. I would be very surprised if Ginny would refer to the success of the program being based solely on winning marching band championships. What about the concert bands, jazz band, percussion ensemble, winter guard, small ensembles, etc., etc, etc. It's not all about marching band...despite the views of a few disgrunteled parents and students.

Dan

• Like 1

Of course kids have a perspective; and if your contention is true then I suppose that this website certainly shows that most kids can and do accurately and fairly evaluate their teachers. :sarcasm:

Duly noted. Though there's a big difference between (i) completely anonymous criticism and spite and (ii) dialogue with directors and administrators.

On a disappointing note, it is unfortunate that her lawyer refered to the success of the program being related to winning champiionships. My experience is that Ginny is an educator. She is there to teach and help young musicians progress. I would be very surprised if Ginny would refer to the success of the program being based solely on winning marching band championships. What about the concert bands, jazz band, percussion ensemble, winter guard, small ensembles, etc., etc, etc. It's not all about marching band...despite the views of a few disgrunteled parents and students.

Competitive success is just the easiest thing for lay-people to grasp. The aesthetic value of music education is not something that will curry positive public opinion with people who don't understand it. Trophies will.