Bluecoats 2014

The Bluecoats' show is:

-incredibly clean.

-a series of set pieces relating to the general theme of the "tilt".

-masterfully executed.

-the first to marry full volume brass synth recordings with live brass.

-slick in its handling of the tilt stage props.

The Bluecoats show is also:

-Limited in its range of emotion and tone

-Limited in its color guard equipment, color changes and range of style.

-Without thematic argument.

-Without pattern.

-Without story elements, although not required.

-Without dramatic progression.

-Without depth of meaning.

-Without cultural reference.

-Without ties or reference to nationality, political scenarios, business, literary or historical references, science, the humanities other than music itself, psychology, sociology, architecture, or media.

-Without variance in musical genres within the show

ebzqTMA.png

• Like 1

HA!

Even your cartoon character is employing some TILT.

Discussion here will be hot and heavy later tonight and tomorrow. You think a judge's name ot two will come up, and who will it be? I'll guess Marie C.

Discussion here will be hot and heavy later tonight and tomorrow. You think a judge's name ot two will come up, and who will it be? I'll guess Marie C.

Well, crap.

shout out to Bluecoats from Hopkins on his FB page - interesting read & I happen to agree. Bluecoats seem VERY determined this year!! Go Bloooo!

Gotta be impressed by the Bluecoats . Great work by the kids and staff in rising past judges opinions

It's a great lesson for us all .

There is no definitive winner in this game. There are simply scores based on the collective views of the judges for the evening

It's a blast of a game - and we all want to win but the journey is where the real work is done. .

As I tell the Cadets - our corps has won world championships by a tenth of a point - it can easily have gone the other way

That said, it is insane to allow a group of 8 or so people whom we barely know to define success. You would do that nowhere else in your life and we all need to not allow such judgement to affect our kids or ourselves in this world . Competing is a grand lesson but it needs to be held in context.

Dr Bernard Baggs, the great sage
of drum corps for many decades , once told me that rules congresses, judges sheets and all of that was a waste of time and money because we were judging something that could not be judged. I was a young director and I reveled in the debate and the search for the RIGHT system. Today , well , I too agree that there is no right system. Just ---- a system.

And it will change and we will grow but no matter what we do - there will always be simply the results of The Night. Never will there be the ultimate victor for as Dr Baggs explained to me - drum corps is about children and art and in that endeavor there are no losers

To close this diatribe ....

We are not for profit organizations not because we play instruments and march but because we affect the future of young people's lives . We do need fans and supporters no doubt ; such is our operational model. And yes indeed the kids love a standing ovation and we love alumni and t shirt sales and filled stadiums and passion driven fans. Heck - our collective goal is to bring you to your feet and bring tears to your eyes. Every corps is doing their very best to be as entertaining as possible. Every corps !

But at the end of the day - what matters is each young man and woman on that field . Our success is determined years from now as today's performers blossom to be tomorrow's teachers and leaders. What we do today does create a legacy for decades to follow, and that legacy is not based on placement .

It's hard to remember in a stadium of 10000 fans or in a forum or other discussion board but indeed , because of the inherent work ethic involved in our methods, we can change lives. We do change lives.

We in leadership are blessed to have the opportunity we woke to this morning and every morning . We who teach must remember we hold in our hands the hearts and souls of thousands of awesome young people.

And make no mistake , these kids are the top 5 percent of the kids in the world. Bus sleep - 10 hour rehearsals - a quest for perfection when such a result is impossible . It's amazing what they do and what we all do

Utterly amazing !!!!!

So congratulations Bluecoats. You turned your back on the opinion of the evening and you went out and created new opinions . Which is correct ? Who knows?

But why I say congratulations is for what is clearly a corps built on persistence and determination . And you have to love that - competition or no competition

Now - we all have to get back to work . We have a journey to continue and by the way don't get too good Bluecoats remember we all want those 8 people to tell the world we are the best.

To all corps. - be fabulous - enjoy the day and this weather and tonight ....

Be the best version of your corps that you possibly can be .

After all, that's all you CAN do

• Like 4

And because of many of these reasons...... the show is incredibly cohesive....more so than almost any show in rent history. And in my opinion, that is considerably more important than nearly all of these things. I believe that is one of the reasons the show is so popular.

Edit: This was in response to Brutus's earlier post, but apparently I don't know how to use the quote function anymore. :mellow:

Edited by Tez

HA!

Even your cartoon character is employing some TILT.

Ohh goodie, so 20s for BD. Edited by ohwiseone

The Bluecoats' show is:

-incredibly clean.

-a series of set pieces relating to the general theme of the "tilt".

-masterfully executed.

-the first to marry full volume brass synth recordings with live brass.

-slick in its handling of the tilt stage props.

The Bluecoats show is also:

-Limited in its range of emotion and tone

-Limited in its color guard equipment, color changes and range of style.

-Without thematic argument.

-Without pattern.

-Without story elements, although not required.

-Without dramatic progression.

-Without depth of meaning.

-Without cultural reference.

-Without ties or reference to nationality, political scenarios, business, literary or historical references, science, the humanities other than music itself, psychology, sociology, architecture, or media.

-Without variance in musical genres within the show

I don't even know how to type a response...Thought I was just enjoying a great drum corps show.

• Like 2

Another reason why the Bluecoats show is so brilliant is in that it goes against Cesario's vision of creativity and is a fan favorite. While a lot of corps are bringing BOA and WGI to the field, the Bluecoats gave the fans something fresh and new while still being drum corps.

• Like 1

Another reason why the Bluecoats show is so brilliant is in that it goes against Cesario's vision of creativity and is a fan favorite. While a lot of corps are bringing BOA and WGI to the field, the Bluecoats gave the fans something fresh and new while still being drum corps.

I have no idea why anyone would think this. Michael would not be against ANY kind of creativity if it brought about something that the fans really enjoyed and responded to with the kind of positivity that fans have responded to the Bluecoats this year. And considering how well the judges have responded to it as well, it seems like this is EXACTLY the kind of show Cesario would be thrilled to see more of in DCI. And for the record, there are a LOT of "BOA and WGI" elements in the Bluecoats show this year. For crying out loud, the single most anticipated moment of the year in all of drum corps this year involves a SYNTHESIZER. It don't get more BOA than that! And who cares? It's tremendous! :thumbup:

• Like 4