The Cadets - 2014

I agree. It takes away from the visual fluidity they had and replaces with boxes, lines, pairs. It also can come across choppy musically as we are going back and forth with contrasting pieces.

Sounds like they've dropped Appalachian Spring and switched to Copland's 3rd..

[...]

No movable props, but there will be "stages" (7-9 feet high he said) for performers to "rise above" the corps. He would LOVE lighting, but since that's not available, this is a way to focus the audience on what they want you to look at.

oh man are they even trying anymore? this has 4th place written all over it, as usual.

what happened to innovating?

oh man are they even trying anymore? this has 4th place written all over it, as usual.

what happened to innovating?

Since you clearly have a better grasp on what would work for the Cadets, why not contact George directly and give him your thoughts on the matter? One thing's for sure, he'll definitely read what you have to say, and most likely will respond to you.

• Like 2

I popped on last nights Tuesday w/the Cadets for a little bit, anyone else? Few interesting things (to me at least) - Hop really wants to do 56horns/56 guard.. only drawback he mentioned is volume.

Sounds like they've dropped Appalachian Spring and switched to Copland's 3rd..

No plans to use any of the new instruments yet, but if they did at most would be for solo.

No movable props, but there will be "stages" (7-9 feet high he said) for performers to "rise above" the corps. He would LOVE lighting, but since that's not available, this is a way to focus the audience on what they want you to look at.

Promised no down/soft ending this year.

One thing that surprised me as a brass player - everyone uses the same mouthpiece, which sounds like a horrible idea.

Anyhow, that's what I remember (had it on while doing something else)

Interesting tidbits... Thanks for the updates; I don't follow YEA, Hopkins, or the Cadets but it is interesting to hear about what's going on.

Way back in the day (1986) the Cadets tried to go with a massive hornline and very small guard; that was a challenging year for them. I think having a small hornline and large guard may prove to be a similar move. This time around they have synth to help boister the sound though...

Just for a FYI...

Many hornlines instructors tell their players to use the same mouthpiece ( within sections, or within parts). They're going for a unified sound, and a type of sound.

So, they pick the tools that well help them get the closest. Then they tweak the players. The players are the most adjustable aspect of the sound producing environment.

This is why lines go for matched horns. Why not go for matched mouth pieces as well?

the stages IMO are what has me most concerned. could limit them visually and even be a distraction

Since you clearly have a better grasp on what would work for the Cadets, why not contact George directly and give him your thoughts on the matter? One thing's for sure, he'll definitely read what you have to say, and most likely will respond to you.

clearly you don't know george very well. if you tell him that you think something is not good, he'll double down on it just to prove he's right, even when he isn't.

i'm sure he's reading this now and thinking, "we need TWICE AS MANY STAGES now."

IMO Cadets need to step away from the duality stuff.

<Edit after checking past shows>

Historically, the Cadets seem to get stuck on a singular design idea rut for a couple ( or several) years at a time. You can group the ideas together by theme:

(Post 2000)

We are the Future - Juxtaperformance

-

American Revival - Our Favorite things - Living With the Past

-

The Zone- The Zone Part2

-

This I Believe - Pursuit of Happiness

-

Between Angels and Demons - Side by Side - 2014 Show theme so far

The other shows that don't fit the pattern probably have some personal significance that we don't know about, or they're reactions to previous years. The Cadets like to experiment a little after a win too, so sometimes they'll experiment the year after a 1st place finish. ( See 1990 -> 1991, 2005->2006, 2011->2012).

Anyway, I've noticed a pattern with the Cadets that I don't quite see in other corps.

So yea, they could do away with duality now. They've covered it.

Edited by jjeffeory

Just for a FYI...

Many hornlines instructors tell their players to use the same mouthpiece ( within sections, or within parts). They're going for a unified sound, and a type of sound.

So, they pick the tools that well help them get the closest. Then they tweak the players. The players are the most adjustable aspect of the sound producing environment.

This is why lines go for matched horns. Why not go for matched mouth pieces as well?

I can understand the same brand/make and cup depth/shape, but are we talking the same rim diameter as well?