The Cadets - 2014

I'm older than most here, have seen plenty. I can tell you, during the early DCI-East years, we removed people from the stands several times over the two days of Prelims. Some booked for disorderly conduct, and more. There were punches, hitting each other over the head with umbrellas, spilling drinks over the person sitting in front. THIS IS ALL WRONG, OF COURSE! But, It was indicative of the passion for what was happening.

Reminds me of the National Dream contest in Jersey City, where it was basically complete anarchy in the stands. LOL.

When I marched with DCA's Long Island Sunrisers, we'd be performing our show there, late 1970s... and up in the stands, you'd have people yelling across rows of seats to, or at, other people....at times using less-than-savory language... various scuffles breaking out, or continuing.... fans either shouting insults or encouragement at us on the field, etc. All while we were out there trying to do our show.

The Dream was held on a Sunday afternoon. Hot day in late July/early August... beer being sold... thousands of hardcore NYC area drum corps fans in the seats. What could possibly go wrong? :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

Good looking kid, glad they put in a Cadets uniform and got rid of the house dress. Great voice.

With a voice like that he could have quite a career in voice overs - from commercials to video games.

He also carries himself very well.

I watched the narrator through binoculars at the Dekalb show, and he sure seemed to be speaking for real. But only God and GH know for sure.

Isn't God and GH one in the same? ;)

you really aren't have a good time until punches are being thrown and swear words are being exchanged! Us corps people are passionate! :exclamation:

I've already given those folks the opportunity to revise their predictions :tounge2: . They can't handle the Cadets still being on the podium. Let me get this out of the way right now.... after Indy has come and gone I'm not the type of person who will come back and say, "I told you so." I will simply take my drum corps hat off and get ready for the color guard season. And the beat goes on.....

And presumably if you're wrong, you won't be back with a mea culpa either, like last season after you had proclaimed in June that someone's predictions were "way off".* Said predictions (made the previous August) were 1. Crown, 2. BD, 3. SCV, 4. Cadets, 5. Phantom, 6. Bluecoats, 7. Cavaliers. Way off apparently means two times one-tenth (Cadets over SCV and Bluecoats over Phantom). :tounge2:

*Not mine (made the previous December), which really were way off: among other things, I had picked Cadets for the silver. In fact, as I noted Finals night, I had only picked five World Class and two Open Class corps in the right positions. (My one not-really-saving grace was picking both champions correctly.)

["July 15 Blue Springs" schedule]

Wow, that looks pretty intense. Much practicing of costume changes plus new drill for the closer?

Reminds me of the National Dream contest in Jersey City, where it was basically complete anarchy in the stands. LOL.

When I marched with DCA's Long Island Sunrisers, we'd be performing our show there, late 1970s... and up in the stands, you'd have people yelling across rows of seats to, or at, other people....at times using less-than-savory language... various scuffles breaking out, or continuing.... fans either shouting insults or encouragement at us on the field, etc. All while we were out there trying to do our show.

The Dream was held on a Sunday afternoon. Hot day in late July/early August... beer being sold... thousands of hardcore NYC area drum corps fans in the seats. What could possibly go wrong? :tongue:

I marched it in 70 and 71...for whatever reason, we never did real well at the Dream.

Me on tri-toms behind the judge..pic taken at the 71 Dream...

d012e871-7ccf-4a30-8b3e-a6b863eca7d1.jpg

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1

I think my issue with the honking and stuff this year is that it's seems to be edgier and more condescending than usual, especially from a few individuals who, in the past, have been much more level-headed and humble. I totally understand that the harsher critics may warrant a harsher response, but let's be honest in admitting that the level of "hate" the Cadets are receiving this year is no where even remotely close to stuff they've gotten thrown at them in the past.

And though I'm quoting you, Tekk, I'm not referring to you in this post. You always maintain your composure in defense of your corps.

unless you use the E word :ninja: