The Cadets - 2014

Did I say it wasn't thought-provoking? And I responded to the quote about flag-waving cross-toting fascism, and said that we're not moving toward fascism, but something more corporate, and probably more insidious, seeing how much governmental and corporate surveillance is occurring to complement the ever expanding militarism and concentration of economic power among the elite.

So I take it that personal attacks here on DCP are tantamount to debate for you? Ignored. I know nothing about you, nor you me. We're discussing show designs and symbolism and quotations here.

Sorry you found this a personal attack. Wasn't intended to be. I just don't understand post after post saying how much you hate a show. In a previous quote you said you weren't talking politics. But it sure looks like it to me.

Chaddy T: I don't think the tarps add much either, but it doesn't make me hate the show. I think the cutouts in the background of SCV's show this year and last year are totally unnecessary and are distracting, yet I don't dislike the show because of it. The same could be said for the big Tree in SOA's show, the wagons in the back of X-Mens show, and the piles of white props BD continues to subject us to. It does appear however, that the corps themselves believe they do. Does it make them wrong if some viewers don't? The only props to me that really seem to fit a show are Bluecoats ramps.

These two lines are the DCP equivalent of the 2014 Blue Devils. Perfect content, perfect execution, so much GE. So much going on, and nailed with such clarity. Loudest lol I've had all season.

I'm wandering around downtown Indy and stopped to give my poor aching feet a break.

For some of you have been around awhile you know George and I are an on again off again thing. I dream that he dreams of me.

I LOVE the Cadets. But, I ain't scared of Mr. Hopkins and deep down, he knows I'm always right.

It bothers me that the best Cadets' guard in years isn't being entrusted to fully visually convey their theme.

I mean, hell. If you absolutely need to depict faces of Americans, put 'em on the silks they're spinning.

If it adds to the theme , why not? Why do the MMs in this day and age have to convey every little nuance through work. It's a visual medium today and like it or not props, narrations, electronics and yes tarps, and all the toys are a part of the activity. Before anyone says anything YES if it works and pushes the theme forward it also deserves credit.

And as far as faces on silks spinning, thats the mistake alot of guard people or non guard people make, who the heck sees stuff like words and faces or logo's on silks while spinning...they dont.

• Like 1

Agreed. I don't think we're seeing haters vs. homers in the thread, more honest criticism than anything else.

I don't post much but I felt drawn here to see if other fans of this corps ("We are the Future" was the first show that ever floored me) had the same feeling this year as in 2007, just like 2000Cadet mentioned 2 posts above. I love Lincoln Portrait so I was really excited about this year too.

I just finished watching the DVD of that show and it floored me too...namely the crowd. I miss that feeling of hearing them going bonkers at every show we had. I wish the same for current and future members of Cadets....of every corps for that matter. All I really want is that same feeling that I was able to give the crowd when I marched...to jump out of my seat and go absolutely ape sh%t at what I'm seeing and hearing.

• Like 2

If it adds to the theme , why not? Why do the MMs in this day and age have to convey every little nuance through work. It's a visual medium today and like it or not props, narrations, electronics and yes tarps, and all the toys are a part of the activity. Before anyone says anything YES if it works and pushes the theme forward it also deserves credit.

And as far as faces on silks spinning, thats the mistake alot of guard people or non guard people make, who the heck sees stuff like words and faces or logo's on silks while spinning...they dont.

Images and words and such have been used on silks numerous times before, to the intended effect.

I think the question of "If it adds to the theme, why not?" is exactly what leads to corps going overboard. There is a line that can be crossed. Just because it may fit in the theme doesn't mean it should be used or that it's used effectively.

I'm curious as to how these scrims and tarps advance the theme. You literally have a sound clip of a president stating "We are Americans". Is it necessary to remind the audience what Americans look like?

It is so literal, it makes me cringe. The Cadets used to be at the creative cutting edge of the activity. This is the drum corps version of paint-by-numbers.

I just finished watching the DVD of that show and it floored me too...namely the crowd. I miss that feeling of hearing them going bonkers at every show we had. I wish the same for current and future members of Cadets....of every corps for that matter. All I really want is that same feeling that I was able to give the crowd when I marched...to jump out of my seat and go absolutely ape sh%t at what I'm seeing and hearing.

This...

.... A million times, this.

• Like 1

Images and words and such have been used on silks numerous times before, to the intended effect.

I think the question of "If it adds to the theme, why not?" is exactly what leads to corps going overboard. There is a line that can be crossed. Just because it may fit in the theme doesn't mean it should be used or that it's used effectively.

I'm curious as to how these scrims and tarps advance the theme. You literally have a sound clip of a president stating "We are Americans". Is it necessary to remind the audience what Americans look like?

It is so literal, it makes me cringe. The Cadets used to be at the creative cutting edge of the activity. This is the drum corps version of paint-by-numbers.

Yes it has been used before ..for a long time..and it doesnt work, who see's it, Ive done this a very long time and have also judged it and say so on my tapes. UNLESS something is done to make it seen. Spinning doesn't.

Can a theme go way over the top? of course, Many have also felt SCV went a little tacky and alot Vegas, maybe they did, who knows. Did Crown go over board? Sure some will think so.

As far as the scrims, are they needed , like you said with whats being said, probably not, does it add to see whats being said, sure. It's kind of like food, every good chef will tell you people eat with their eyes before their mouths. Can something really pretty on a plate still not taste good? sure,BUT a combination of both can make it a full and visually as well as tastefully better experience...jmo

Edited by GUARDLING

I watched the 2000 show myself, as relief from the debate this year.

WHAT a FUN show that isn't about anything but time, life, living, and individual expression. Extremely difficult, fast, whiplash drill. impossibly exposed everywhere. A phenomenal performance. (Maybe not their very best run of that year, as if they felt the Cavaliers breathing down their necks, who had no pressure on them, no target on their backs all summer, but still amazing.)

The show is uplifting because it isn't heavy.

What's making this year so lugubrious is that it's so HEAVY, so earnest, so much to lift in its clumsy bombastic effort to be uplifting, so much MEANING, everything is weighted, freighted, and dated.

ENOUGH ALREADY with being so profound, Cadets. Tell a friggin story without making it a history, make it abstract, make it layered, complex, hard, virtuosic, and NEW.

That should be the theme of 2015 and going forward.

If the Cadets staff would have made a better decision in November, maybe by stressing regular americans, middle class, civic leaders, etc., - then they wouldn't be jumping the shark now and we wouldn't be discussing the unavoidable militaristic associations of such over-the-top patriotism and wartime quotes from politicians who expanded US imperialism unapologetically over the century.

you really need to lay off the MSNBC lol

they are sitting in 2nd place and performing the heck out of the show - if it's not your cup of tea find another one which is...

it's a fricken drum corps show!! don't take it so darn seriously!!

• Like 4

I overheard GH say that next year's show is going to be a tribute to our wonderful, hard-working congress. The Capitol in the current show is just foreshadowing of the good things to come. I for one am eager to see congressional grid-lock depicted on the field.

• Like 1