The Cadets - 2014

I watched the 2000 show myself, as relief from the debate this year.

WHAT a FUN show that isn't about anything but time, life, living, and individual expression. Extremely difficult, fast, whiplash drill. impossibly exposed everywhere. A phenomenal performance. (Maybe not their very best run of that year, as if they felt the Cavaliers breathing down their necks, who had no pressure on them, no target on their backs all summer, but still amazing.)

The show is uplifting because it isn't heavy.

What's making this year so lugubrious is that it's so HEAVY, so earnest, so much to lift in its clumsy bombastic effort to be uplifting, so much MEANING, everything is weighted, freighted, and dated.

ENOUGH ALREADY with being so profound, Cadets. Tell a friggin story without making it a history, make it abstract, make it layered, complex, hard, virtuosic, and NEW.

That should be the theme of 2015 and going forward.

2000 was fun, but dude - incredibly trite. It gave me a sugar coma after a while...

And Cadets have done abstract, layered, complex, hard blah blah blah many many many times. After a while even "new" gets old.

So who were the faces on the tarps at the end? I think one was Oprah?

no, one was not Oprah

and while we are at it - yes, the narration if LIVE :tounge2:

• Like 1

2000 was fun, but dude - incredibly trite. It gave me a sugar coma after a while...

And Cadets have done abstract, layered, complex, hard blah blah blah many many many times. After a while even "new" gets old.

I want you to explain this.

^^ C'mon Tekk. Don't worry about it. 2000 was an awesome show. One I watch again and again.

One opinion.

^^ C'mon Tekk. Don't worry about it. 2000 was an awesome show. One I watch again and again.

One opinion.

True, but the point wasn't about his opinion of the show. The point was more about knocking down one show to enhance another.

Can I also say that the transition between the last two sets before the big first hit in the opener, about 60 seconds into the show - abstract curved form to solid triangle - lasts about three nanoseconds, and is the fastest transition between two sets I've EVER seen, so fast, in fact, that it's actually dangerous.

That's the kind of Cadets I've always loved - right on the edge of possible/impossible. Telling stories with dance and drill. Allowing individual members to express character individually.

I don't want anything spelled out for me. I don't want narration. Big pictures. Nothing obvious.

Ambiguity, a certain elusiveness of fixed meaning, effusiveness of multiple meanings that leads only to further interpretations. That's classic Cadets.

Imagine if they had a narrator for 1998 Stonehenge, and tried to make it DEEP and MEANINGFUL, with lots of props, tarps, and a stage?

"In ancient times, hundreds of years before duh dawn of history, lived a strange race of people…The Druids. Nobody knows…who dey were…or…what dey were doing. But their legacy remains, hewn into the livin' rock, uh Stonehenge!"

- Nigel Tufnel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC3n7YKjsjA

Imagine if they had a narrator for 1998 Stonehenge, and tried to make it DEEP and MEANINGFUL, with lots of props, tarps, and a stage?

"In ancient times, hundreds of years before duh dawn of history, lived a strange race of people…The Druids. Nobody knows…who dey were…or…what dey were doing. But their legacy remains, hewn into the livin' rock, uh Stonehenge!"

Hahahaha.