DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

As a Low Brass Man, spot on in regards to the timbre.

The thing is, the Marching French horns- waaaaal.... there are issues. The old Getzen French horns are pretty much thought of as wall decorations because they're so awful. Only two guys were ever thought of as able to actually make real music on them, Pepe Notaro, and, if you're lucky enough to hear Danny Fitzpatrick when he gets his out for fun. Two legends. The newer ones, arguably, the French horn mouthpiece is a bit risky for field use, small diameter, sharp rim, with the kinds of physical challenges in modern visual design, better off with a Mello/trumpet style mouthpiece I'd think.

The Trombonium bugles were used for like one month of one season IIRC around 1979-1981 and ditched by 27 and Madison IIRC.

King makes the marching Flugabones which aren't bad- but, my guess is they're eschewed by the DCI units because they just can't project broadly like a Bari or Euphonium can. More piercing, less sweet and deep.

Regarding an earlier post, yeah for some of the Kenton solos, you'd prefer a Trombone to get that "feel" right, though one of my old comrades who plays T-Bone professionally could always get that sound on his old King Bari.

Good post, I agree with ya. Regarding the tromboniums, they're constructed better these days. Yes those frenchies were horrible, but I'm sure they're better today too.

Why don't all of you dinosaurs just get over yourselves? The people who are actually PARTICIPATING in the activity rather than just posting on DCP want this. The change will correct and adjust itself for utilization. Most baritone players are trombonists by nature. Oh, how awful it would be to have a section of them show us what they could REALLY do! Same with French Horn players who switch to mellophone. Oh no! We might actually hear what these talented individuals can give us on their NATURAL instruments? Puh-lease! We are a niche activity with niche fan base that changes very little over time. And if you claim that THIS will keep you away, you are not fans in the first place. Be a fan of the kids. It is not about the instruments, the rules, the judging system, the electronics, or anything else. It has always been and always will be about the kids!

How incredibly arrogant. You obviously have no idea the quality of players who have passed through this activity before you were even born and before your parents were born.

The last person I want to be lectured by is some newbie who hasn't come close to investing as much of their life in this activity as a good deal of the members of this board have. Of course, your opinion is worth so much more., right? If all the kids in the activity act as arrogant as you do, I wouldn't support them for anything. As it is, I've already attended my last drum corps show and won't spend another dime supporting this activity.

But please tell me how DCI expects to survive by losing all the legacy fans? It won't.

• Like 8

iWell us French horns in the 77 Kingsmen sounded pretty darn good. By the end of tour we were as loud as the baritones. There were only 5 or 6 of us.

If any of the lead baris at Westshore from 1979 to 1983 would have been asked just that, 4 of us would have gladly taken a crack at it. Kind of a crazy question. 3 of us were College Trombone majors and I was crosstrained from Euphonium by a great private teacher and can fake the slide pretty good myself. :satisfied:

Oh man I can picture the battle of which one of you would have done it. Friendly but "snort, grunt" from the ones who would not have been playing.

Lemme guess the 3 were Ogre, Baldy and Bruce (OK he was too quiet to get a nickname)......

That's what it was like when I first walked into my corps hall for our corps birthday dinner. It was kind of overwhelming. The fact that this activity has touched and changed so many peoples' lives in ways I couldn't even begin to imagine... And I am pretty that is why many are opposed to the changes being brought to DCI, because they fear that they will lose all that was once held most dear to their hearts. I totally get that. But things change over time, for good or for worse, that is just the way things are. The only way to ensure that it changes are made for the better is for alumni and fans and members to embrace and shape these new things into something great.

That's my take on it anyway. But what do I know, I'm just some 20 year old kid who still has 2 years left. I know I still have a lot to learn. And I am hoping I get that chance.

Good luck to you on getting the chance, let us know.

LMAO, I started with a group that never got out of the practice room until they merged with a rebuilding corps. First month I was with the first group (late 1973) I hear:

"Did the VA (Veterans Administration) get back on your claim?"

"No, they need more time"

"I thought you would be at the top of the pile"

"Me too.... I thought if you got ###### shot twice you had priority".

Took me a few seconds to realize it was two Viet Nam vets talking. And I sure as Hell wasn't in HS band anymore....

Usually replaced by newer fans who think that change can be a good thing.

Haven't seen much evidence of long-term growth in participants or fan numbers. As I've seen on Facebook today from some directors, though, you're either a participant (in which case all of these changes are being done for you) or a fan and "irrelevant" (Because all of this change is being done for the participants).

-Mike

• Like 3

How does this solve drum corps marketing issues??? Isn't our biggest issue as a whole is getting paying customers into the seats? I don't understand why the powers to be feel these steps, steps that alienate the legacy fan base, are seen as progressive.

I love drum corps because of the pure brass and percussion. I love the bell front, valved horns. I love playing them. I don't want to see sousaphones or trombones or anything else on the field in summer. I don't hate them by any means. If that's what I want to see, I'll go to a MARCHING BAND show in the fall.

In my very honest opinion. My opinion. If DCI truly wants to reach out and diversify the crowd, outside assistance from marketing professionals will help, not rule changes like this!

For The Record....

This news greatly saddens me :'(

Edited by Penn State
  • Like 2

Why don't all of you dinosaurs just get over yourselves? The people who are actually PARTICIPATING in the activity rather than just posting on DCP want this. The change will correct and adjust itself for utilization. Most baritone players are trombonists by nature. Oh, how awful it would be to have a section of them show us what they could REALLY do! Same with French Horn players who switch to mellophone. Oh no! We might actually hear what these talented individuals can give us on their NATURAL instruments? Puh-lease! We are a niche activity with niche fan base that changes very little over time. And if you claim that THIS will keep you away, you are not fans in the first place. Be a fan of the kids. It is not about the instruments, the rules, the judging system, the electronics, or anything else. It has always been and always will be about the kids!

If being a fan of drum corps means only being a "fan of the kids", then why bother with the drum corps part at all?

• Like 3

If Madison had a trombone line I bet it would be a show stopper! I wish Bluecoats could have had an opportunity in 2011 to play Harvest with that trombone solo! It would have been killer!

By that logic, SCV '00 and Cadets '13 ought to have had violins, violas, cellos and double-basses for Adagio for Strings.

Edited by N.E. Brigand