DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

The problem is their amplified Front Ensemble would need some major Ground Control. :laugh:

odds are Major tom would have the amps cranked to 11

I'm very, very late to this thread, but if this is the official reason, I would love to see what research drove this decision.

A met a woman at work who was collecting money for her daughter's band. I got into a conversation about drum corps with her. Turns out the daughter is an extremely good french horn player who just qualified for first chair in some "All State" band. In her marching band, she plays mellophone.

The daughter was familiar with drum corps and admires it, but her reason for not participating IS NOT the lack of french horns. She can play the mellophone. It's the extreme commitment of time it requires to participate in a top corps.

I honestly don't thing the inclusion of trombones or french horns or whatever is going to put any more butts in the stands anymore than adding synths did. If anything, the long line of changes that were supposed to help with growth has failed to do so.

It may have actually been more popular in the 70's and 80's than it is now. There certainly was more participation due to more active corps. Even though the quality of the corps weren't even close to what it is now, there still were paying customers. Go figure.

Instead of being on national television, the activity has locked itself into a subscription-only model and higher and higher ticket prices.

IMO, if the people who voted for this change actually believe this is going to help popularity, they really are delusional about what the real barriers to drum corps' growth are.

while I'm meh about the rules change, this, like any recent rules change, has always had justifications about making it more accessible, etc, and no research to back it up.

• Like 2

' Not saying they should, but since they are of voting age, did they have a vote on the proposals, or simply invited there for their " involvement " ? If its mostly " about the kids " ( who foot the bill for this ) why not have a REAL change and let them vote on things, even if its not binding with the elected adult DCI officials ? Or is DCI not quite ready for that level of " change " yet ?

any actual members in attendance were there for leadership workshops, and not participants in the rules congress meetings. those are attended by staff/desingers/directors

Finally, a update on the rule change from from DCI! The site is running really slow - my guess is from all the traffic at one time. Just goes to show you how many passionate fans there are. I'd like to think that's a healthy sign for the future of the activity!

Edited by drumcorpsfever

But, as I keep doing, I'll point out again, this ####### thread is now on 73 pages, and yet DCI has not said officially if this is even a new rule, so keep speculating, y'all!

So, you'll finally stop saying this over and over in all of these threads, right?

Mike

• Like 1

So, you'll finally stop saying this over and over in all of these threads, right?

And there's little in the article about this particular rule change that we hadn't already heard. Rumor Mill 1, Drum Corps International 0?

So, after all the discussion, it comes down to this, as just annouced by DCI:

The second proposal addressed the instrumentation of a drum corps ensemble, recommending that any brass instrument, even those not traditionally considered to be of the “bell-front” variety as stipulated in the DCI rulebook be allowed in competition.

“Similar to how a percussionist can play any percussion instrument including those which would be considered to be ‘non-traditional’ in a marching music setting, or to how guard members can manipulate any type of equipment or prop as a part of their performance, why not let the brass player play any type of instrument within the brass genome?” Komnick said explaining the intent of the proposal initiated by Madison Scouts Artistic Director James Mason. “This allows the musical palette to extend ever so slightly beyond its current boundaries.”

Approved in the instructors caucus and passed along to the voting membership for discussion and a vote, the proposal passed overwhelmingly. This is the first major change in brass instrumentation to affect the DCI rulebook since a proposal allowing “any-key” brass instruments was implemented in 2000.

The rule will take effect with the start of the 2014 Drum Corps International season, but it is still to be seen if and how corps designers will take advantage of the opportunity to expand their playbooks to incorporate the different brass sounds now available.

“I spend a lot of time during the season at contests studying the audience and adjusting my [musical] scores to achieve the maximum amount of effect and engagement,” Santa Clara Vanguard Brass Arranger JD Shaw said. “If I were to put a trombone solo on the field and the audience hated it, I would change it. However, if I were able to make the audience love that moment, then we've created something new and exciting.”

In the meantime, lively debate among drum corps enthusiasts is sure to ensue, much as it has it has throughout DCI’s more than 40-year history as “competition-legal” brass instruments evolved from one- to two- to three-valve configurations and from bugles in the key of G to more standard multi-keyed instruments.

... and, so it goes...

Edited by drumcorpsfever