Thanks for the memories...Im gone!

BYE!!!

After supporting Drum Corps for over 30 some years I am finally done...Take care all it has been a wonderful ride but it is time to say Goodbye... Love you all!

• Like 1

Dear writer of the original posts. I feel your pain. First, I don’t care about the rule changes, corps could play anything they wanted too and I’d be fine with it. Second, the kids are great … their work ethic is second to none and I know each corps whether they are #1 or #99 these corps put in a huge amount of work to bring their shows to life. Third, the staff … well they are playing the game. The game is the rule book on judging that is set forth by DCI and the drum corps themselves.

I guess my problem is I’m just not enjoying it anymore. I’m not a college music major that is exposed to many of these musical pieces long before a corps put a show on the field. My problem is all the “ART” that has taken over drum corps. I can’t follow the shows without doing my research on the artists that wrote the musically originally. Gone are the days you can just sit back in your seat and see the show unfold and appreciate it. I know HATE is a strong word, but Blue Devils last 3 years I’ve hated those shows. And those are the type of shows that keep winning DCI. I still have no idea what E-MC2 was all about this year. No clue and I’ve seen the show 3 times. But one thing was for sure, I knew by the weirdness of the show that it was going to give Blue Devils a run for their money.

Even back in the early 90s when Star of Indiana did Pines of Rome, I was intrigued by the music enough I went out and purchased a recording of the show and feel in love with the music. The mellophones in that show were awesome!

I have moved to a part of the world that drum corps doesn’t come near here and for me to travel to Atlanta or San Antonio for a weekend costs a $1000. If I enjoyed drum corps like I used too, I wouldn’t have a problem spending the money. I just don’t dig the shows.

What I am going to miss, are my friends … I was on staff for two corps from 1992 to 2004 and during that time I made a lot of friends. Many of them have moved on to other things now as well. I guess it’s time for to move on now too. Good by my drum corps friend … it has been fun.

Dear DCI … I know I am only one voice, but your judging of drum corps shows are killing the activity. I don’t understand your judging system and how you can reward some of the oddest things … like French speaking voice over dubs, rolling rubber balls and calling it guard work or rolling a bass drum across the field. Judging has MORPHED drum corps into Guard with drum corps accompaniment.

So many things have been "THE DEATH OF DRUM CORPS!!!"

What ever, sit back and enjoy the music, enjoy the hard work the kids put in and if you had better seats than me for Finals, go ahead and send me the tickets, I'll sure enjoy them!!!

• Like 1

Seriously - me and my significant are going to Allentown this year for the following reasons. One, they serve the best hamburger at Bethlehem Hotel (in the world). Two, there is a music festival every year in Allentown at that time. Three, watching DCI outside is a nice venue at night. Fourth, we LOVED making fun of the shows. As a member of the public, I'm entitled to my opinion. I paid my ticket and between ourselves, we (last year) sat there and laughed at everything laughable (12-13 minutes of GEEK on display), especially show designs, electronics, voice overs, some esoteric life message (everything wants to be a circle and do I really love you) with geeks in band uniforms doing ballet - how can you not laugh at this freak show? Is excellent and technical musicianship and bleeding hearts for kids supposed to override the humor? No way! Our punchline mantra was "the kids worked really hard/they're good kids" because everything sucked (meaning I wasn't entertained). Now, this is an opinion. It's obviously not yours but your opinion is no more valuable than mine. It's authentic and honest - and very direct. If you want to stamp your self-induced prima donna attitude and aggression at it - go ahead - but DCI is GEEKS GONE WILD. There are a handful and most "wow that was cool" but there is nothing that sticks that makes me want to see a corps more than once. The first purpose in entertainment, is entertaining your audience. Other than SCV, all applause and standing "O's" were courtesies because, well......"they're good kids/they worked really hard". Enjoy the summer band camp experience performing nothing more than for drill designers trying to outdo one another for bragging rights. And I know this post will be blasted because negative opinions are always attacked, but, DCI is not the only organization keeping kids of the street and not all the good kids are doing music and nothing else. If the goal is to give the kids something productive to do so they don't do drugs, drink - well, then, okay - it's a success. But don't mindscrew yourself into thinking that DCI is so wonderful that only through that (or band) can kids be good or successful. MOST SUCCESSFUL people were not in band if success is defined financially. Depends how you define success, right.

Seriously - me and my significant are going to Allentown this year for the following reasons. One, they serve the best hamburger at Bethlehem Hotel (in the world). Two, there is a music festival every year in Allentown at that time. Three, watching DCI outside is a nice venue at night. Fourth, we LOVED making fun of the shows. As a member of the public, I'm entitled to my opinion. I paid my ticket and between ourselves, we (last year) sat there and laughed at everything laughable (12-13 minutes of GEEK on display), especially show designs, electronics, voice overs, some esoteric life message (everything wants to be a circle and do I really love you) with geeks in band uniforms doing ballet - how can you not laugh at this freak show? Is excellent and technical musicianship and bleeding hearts for kids supposed to override the humor? No way! Our punchline mantra was "the kids worked really hard/they're good kids" because everything sucked (meaning I wasn't entertained). Now, this is an opinion. It's obviously not yours but your opinion is no more valuable than mine. It's authentic and honest - and very direct. If you want to stamp your self-induced prima donna attitude and aggression at it - go ahead - but DCI is GEEKS GONE WILD. There are a handful and most "wow that was cool" but there is nothing that sticks that makes me want to see a corps more than once. The first purpose in entertainment, is entertaining your audience. Other than SCV, all applause and standing "O's" were courtesies because, well......"they're good kids/they worked really hard". Enjoy the summer band camp experience performing nothing more than for drill designers trying to outdo one another for bragging rights. And I know this post will be blasted because negative opinions are always attacked, but, DCI is not the only organization keeping kids of the street and not all the good kids are doing music and nothing else. If the goal is to give the kids something productive to do so they don't do drugs, drink - well, then, okay - it's a success. But don't mindscrew yourself into thinking that DCI is so wonderful that only through that (or band) can kids be good or successful. MOST SUCCESSFUL people were not in band if success is defined financially. Depends how you define success, right.

You're not a nice person. :huh2:

" but DCI is GEEKS GONE WILD"

Geeks rule! We are awesome!

" but DCI is GEEKS GONE WILD"

Geeks rule! We are awesome!

I really don't see anything 'geeky' about today's DCI performers. To perform music at such a high level, under such adverse conditions and motion is truly something impressive. Geeky would be an out-of-shape high school kid with an ill-fitting uniform and a Sousaphone wrapped around him like a demonic python. Now, if that's where this new rule leads, my opinion is subject to change.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 2

Agreed!

The yoga poses in band uniforms are so cool. I mean, what's cooler. I see all of the athletes just crowding at the fences to watch all those poses staring in envy. It's so impressive that nobody, other than alumni, band parents and music educators know or care about it. High level doesn't mean anything. People aren't concerned about high level, they're concerned about being entertained (news flash) - which is why outside of the demographic just mentioned, nobody cares or think it's cool and even though they 'may' not say it - the term band geek has never been more true to definition and amplified than in DCI.

Nice try at trolling, but your effort is weak at best.