Most difficult shows

Other than Utah, I don't know of other areas of this country where great-grand parents are in their mid 50's. :bigsmile:

I've lived in Utah. They tend to wait until they're OLDER to have children, then they have a bunch. They have other activities on their plates before they settle down to get married (College and trips to other places and such)...

OTOH, I've lived in other states on the East Coast, West Coast, Midwest, and South where I see a BUNCH of people popping out babies like there's no tomorrow at a very young age.

...and from generation to generation too. So, Utah would be the last area of the country where I'd expect to see great-grand parents in their mid 50s. :poke:

Regarding 27th's 1980 show, my all time favorite show, no guard could do what they did, or Phantom in those years for that matter, not due to talent, but training. Those who marched in guards at that time had been training since they were probably eight or nine years old and for 27th, most started with feeder corps or with the bands or drill teams that were part of the CYO or Eastern Mass circuits. They were trained differently. Chances are those who were in BD's 2012 guard were training t the same age, but on different areas. However, I will say that I saw that show at least eight times that summer and the guard was always flawless, though they never thought they were flawless and constantly worked at perfection. I would say that guard was the most difficult show but I'd say 1979's PR guard was a close second ,and I still say should have won in 79 and 27th in 80.

Regarding 2012 and 2013 Crown, I thought the 2012 drill was more difficult than 2013 but 2013 was cleaner. As far as the musical book, I would think that 2012 was more difficult but 2013 was better performed. However I will say that if arrangement has anything to do with eth question, what Crown did with Philip Glass and "Einstein at the Beach" was amazing. Now I would not have complained if Crown won the title in 2012, and actually thought they should have won semi's. I also believe the better corps won in 2013 and was thrilled to see it live, but for me the difference was not degree of difficulty, it was confidence. in 2012 Crown was out to win, but in 2013 Crown was out to be the best and that made the difference.

Now as far as difficult shows, I'd have to give a shout out to 2002 Cavalier's "Frameworks" which required nothing short of perfection and 2008's one and only "Spartacus" by PR. As far as stunts are concerned, I still don't know how Cadets pulled off some of the stunts in that show, particularly when the horn line tricks. Maybe it's easier than it looks but it impresses me.

• Like 2

I've lived in Utah. They tend to wait until they're OLDER to have children, then they have a bunch. They have other activities on their plates before they settle down to get married (College and trips to other places and such)...

OTOH, I've lived in other states on the East Coast, West Coast, Midwest, and South where I see a BUNCH of people popping out babies like there's no tomorrow at a very young age.

...and from generation to generation too. So, Utah would be the last area of the country where I'd expect to see great-grand parents in their mid 50s. :poke:

Reply to your post, Part II since the first one was removed. After three years here in SW UT , because of religious teaching, many young women/men marry in their early 20's and have 3/4 children within 4/5 years. Never seen an area with so many younger women married to older men. (Father figures?) It's common for many grand parents to be in their 40's.

Difficult shows are more a matter of perception

A well designed and taught show will often appear more difficult than it is to perform

The most difficult shows are generally a result of poor staff choices and never credited in these conversation because they never got clean

One of the more recent difficult moments that the corps struggled with all year, even at finals was Regiment 2010, that bit with the mellos up front, rotating, playing and running through the ranks – might have been too much for them and not have paid off for credit

Difficult shows are more a matter of perception

A well designed and taught show will often appear more difficult than it is to perform

The most difficult shows are generally a result of poor staff choices and never credited in these conversation because they never got clean

One of the more recent difficult moments that the corps struggled with all year, even at finals was Regiment 2010, that bit with the mellos up front, rotating, playing and running through the ranks – might have been too much for them and not have paid off for credit

I guess for this thread you would have to also consider what was achieved and not just what was difficult.

• Like 1

Reply to your post, Part II since the first one was removed. After three years here in SW UT , because of religious teaching, many young women/men marry in their early 20's and have 3/4 children within 4/5 years. Never seen an area with so many younger women married to older men. (Father figures?) It's common for many grand parents to be in their 40's.

Aha, the "Centennial Park, AZ" area somewhat close to Saint George, UT (Not that far from NV either) or Maybe Littlefield, AZ? Oh, ok. That's a fringe of a fringe area and your comment makes a bunch more sense now. You may be right!

Anything Myron Rosander wrote. That guy writes some insanely difficult drills.

I'll put SCV 2008 into the difficult show category. Talk about some crazy drill that was too tough to get fully clean.

Cadets 2001 was an amazing show that was really, really technical. I'm still amazed they got it as clean as they did.

• Like 1

of course they could..any good cleaner could make it happen. Apply the basics and breakdown of every angle and it can easily be done...No doubt 27 was the best of the best of the time but certainly there were others clean and exciting also . YES it can be done today..

OK - I have children who have been in color guard in the last several years - the videos of 27 blow them away - they say "Mr Director / Ms Guard Instructor - can we do something like that?"

Their instructors change the subject.

So, why is it not done today? esp as you say (& I agree there were others clean & exciting also) Please - do tell...

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

OK - I have children who have been in color guard in the last several years - the videos of 27 blow them away - they say "Mr Director / Ms Guard Instructor - can we do something like that?"

Their instructors change the subject.

So, why is it not done today? esp as you say (& I agree there were others clean & exciting also) Please - do tell...

its not done because as wonderful as it was.....and it was...it would be a little outdated today..............I was a very close person at the time with George Z and the program so I do know the wonderful program it was BUT to say that it couldnt be done today or as clean with that same content is far from true. Corps could certainly be that clean as well as MANY hs programs............that takes NOTHING away from how wonderful , exciting and trend setting it was at the time.

Aha, the "Centennial Park, AZ" area somewhat close to Saint George, UT (Not that far from NV either) or Maybe Littlefield, AZ? Oh, ok. That's a fringe of a fringe area and your comment makes a bunch more sense now. You may be right!

You might be thinking of Colorado City, AZ. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_City,_Arizona

My observations and speaking with LDS members come from one city (only a pop. of 8,700) West of St. George, UT.