Should judging be flat?

You keep selectively cutting my posts. The amount they gained in GE visual was .7. In GE music, they made up .9, which means that any musical changes they made to their show made a bigger impact than any visual changes that they made. That's the simplicity of the numbers.

Yuppers! Well done, fsubone.

PLUS, when you look at those numbers from finals night, you'll see that the Blue Devils were only .05 away from a perfect GE Visual score (!!!) and only .25 away from a perfect overall visual score. Those are insane visual numbers! I can understand the paradigm people talk about when they say that visual drives the bus in drum corps, but in this case, we're talking about a visual MONSTER of a drum corps in the Blue Devils coming in 2nd place. The visual drove that bus as far as it could go. But in the end, the Phantom Regiment rode a program driven by a superior musical effort and won the show.

BD - .7 down in music ensemble and .85 down in percussion, leading to being down .725 in overall music. Add in the .3 down in GE music and it's GAME OVER. It looks like in this case that visual bus could have used a little more musical gasoline.

Edited by seen-it-all

I understand why some may prefer a flat/balanced scoring method. However, the art has really gravitated toward visual. I personally don't see anything wrong with that since it's the visual that has the biggest upside for growth and evolution of the activity. There's enough credit for music comp and execution to keep the corps honest and ensuring an ample amount of BYBO for the fans.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

its far better than BITD..even those of us not very fond of percussion and think it's just alot of banging..lol....can sit through it now....hell I even taught a few medalists and finalisit and I NEVER wanted anything to do with it.

there's even some now I like watching more than guard...shhhhhhhhhhh :peek: OMG i may start saying DUDE

good.,...if we get you saying dude, I have more words to train you to use LOL!

as for guard....i just can't get into most of the stuff above A Class anymore. it's like watching 90 BD's

And the Wizard's curtain is pulled back to expose his...

I'd often heard there were such people in the world, but you are the first I've personally experienced.

Has anyone done a full-length and in-depth study of your family's gene strings to find out when the damaged gene first manifested itself? My hunch is that it can be identified back to your cave-dwelling ancestors, during the time they were starving to death while others in their clan correctly interpreted the banging from the neighbor tribe as saying "There's food over here!".

You are hereby ordered into the standard therapy of being forced to listen to 14 hours a day of BD playing 8's on a hand. Your treatments will cease when you can recognize that wind players, like fans in the stands, couldn't keep from rushing a tempo if their life depended on it.

Sentence to begin immediately, Dude.

:shutup:

:tounge2:

Not hard enough, too early to be clean

It goes back to the Balancing the Equation, you know take something from here and it has to go there?

It’s two half baked idea preformed just so-so and neither wow me…as a pure drum moment, weak, more so considering the number of people and drums on stand….as a jungle gym moment…weak..It wouldn’t even make the cut for an audition with a broke ### circus

I don’t understand getting extra credit for doing 2 things poorly at the same time

If you are so bored by mastering the fundamentals move on to something else

Much of this dual demand looks like cheats to cover sloppy execution

please be sure to send your resume to Mapes and Gromm. I'm sure your expertise is exactly what Pulse needs in case the gap between them and RCC closes.

It was hard enough. yeah it wasn't pristine thats why they go to April 12. but it has gobs of good GE...all parts of the triad covered. fans will go ####### over it, and I'm sure come April, there'll be some serious laughing into digital recorders from high and low in UD Arena.

Edited by MikeD
Filter circumvention

That may have etched them into the audience's hearts, but it did not win them the title. As can be seen by the score recap. They were 3rd in Vis Performance, 4th in Guard, tied for 2nd in GE Vis almost half a point down. But 1st by a huge margin in overall music and GE Music. That is why they won. Numbers don't lie.

and BD's percussion #### the bed.

So much for conciliatory. :doh:

No -- it's not. READ what I wrote.

FACT: The battery stands still because they literally have nothing to contribute to the music at that point. So the designer's choice to have them stand still reflects only this fact. Has nothing to do with "who's more important".

Could the designer have chosen another way to involve those performers (without using the battery instruments)? ABSOLUTELY.

But standing still has nothing to do with relative importance. You're missing the boat on this one. Correllation, causation, all that jazz.

Your reply is flawed. Most of the Guard sections utilize Guard equipment other than rifles as their majority Guard equipment utilized in their shows ..... not rifles.

Edited by corpsband

Even A class has changed dramatically in the past 10 years. Perhaps not on the sheets but on the reality of the class.

(apologize for going OT ) .

it sure has BUT like in most activities one either grows with it and continues to learn or they get left behind...so many in the activity choose the later unfortunately...then they blame it on a like or dislike.....then of course thankfully thats far from all. Many do choose to grow and learn. Ive always said in this activity the instructor that gets left behind is usually because they got stuck and feel maybe they dont have anything to learn....to me anyway, most activities , including this one is continuous learning...IMO that's whats cool about the activity.