Should judging be flat?

I completely agree that visual is an absolutely necessary component.

I never stated above that" the Visual is an absolutely neccessary component" however.. I went WAY beyond the " neccessary " angle in my comments above as a matter of fact.

Edited by BRASSO

It's like you have a basic understanding of how logic works. And then you apply it to the most ludicrous situations.

You noticed that too.

I mean, seriously, if you take away the 1981 Phantom Regiment color guard from THAT Spartacus show and they just go out with only brass and percussion, no guard at all, could the brass and percussion playing allow audiences to guess the theme? Doubtful. But more to the point, why even bother imagining such a situation? Whether it's 1981 or 2008? It's ridiculous in its very concept.

Haven't people had them play horns before during shows?

Yes. the Cadets in 1978 or 1979 IIRC. Wild moment. I remember Frank Dorritte talking to us about that in the early 80's, how they wrote and taught the guard to play and support the main effort- something like 75 horns or maybe 80.

Yes. the Cadets in 1978 or 1979 IIRC. Wild moment. I remember Frank Dorritte talking to us about that in the early 80's, how they wrote and taught the guard to play and support the main effort- something like 75 horns or maybe 80.

1988 Bluecoats color guard at the end of Autumn Leaves closer.

So much for conciliatory. :doh:

No -- it's not. READ what I wrote.

FACT: The battery stands still because they literally have nothing to contribute to the music at that point. So the designer's choice to have them stand still reflects only this fact. Has nothing to do with "who's more important".

Could the designer have chosen another way to involve those performers (without using the battery instruments)? ABSOLUTELY.

But standing still has nothing to do with relative importance. You're missing the boat on this one. Correllation, causation, all that jazz.

illegal use of logic. 5 yards, loss of down

WELL , A class is the easiest to understand :whistle: and at a basic level......or supposed to be

well, and IMO, some of the stuff rolled out at the upper levels makes BD look easy to grasp

That is very true. There was a percussion spread for awhile, but it really opened up at the end, to counteract BD's big spread in Visual. That big musical spread Phantom had though pushed them over the top

well and BD's ####### of said bed also bled over to ensemble music. i believe it was a brass guy that night, so it had to be bad

:ninja:

It's not crazy to think in those terms. If one believes that percussionists are musicians, capable of creating musicality and possessed of the entire spectrum of musical thought, which indeed they are- it's entirely possible and entirely attainable.

For some reason, I think the kidding and jokes will now commence. But I am entirely serious about the post. :satisfied:

the key is getting non percussionists to believe that which you speak. sadly, all jokes aside, many believe that. You know several of them. I've yelled at several of them

well, and IMO, some of the stuff rolled out at the upper levels makes BD look easy to grasp

the finesse of an upper corp IMO compares to none...one can play, hard or easy BUT to literally bring a piece to life...as I believe many do is not only an art form but a testament to talent, writing and NOT so easy to grasp...otherwise others would be doing it...jmo

• Like 1