Should judging be flat?

But every now and then, somebody has the fortitude to take it to the next level.

few and far between.I sat through PIW prelims 3 years in a row, and it was rinse repeat

Minus the hyperbole, I agree with this. The top groups often have some amazing visual ideas & choreography, but the lower you go on the competitive spectrum the less imaginative it gets and things start to feel mundane. But like everything, writing off the entire idea of body sculpting/choreography for brass/percussion because of the worst offenders is flat-out stupid when you have the best of the best doing really cool stuff.

even at the top there's so much of the same.

even at the top there's so much of the same.

its far better than BITD..even those of us not very fond of percussion and think it's just alot of banging..lol....can sit through it now....hell I even taught a few medalists and finalisit and I NEVER wanted anything to do with it.

there's even some now I like watching more than guard...shhhhhhhhhhh :peek: OMG i may start saying DUDE

Edited by GUARDLING

its far better than BITD..even those of us not very fond of percussion and think it's just alot of banging..lol....can sit through it now....hell I even taught a few medalists and finalisit and I NEVER wanted anything to do with it.

there's even some now I like watching more than guard...shhhhhhhhhhh :peek: OMG i may start saying DUDE

And the Wizard's curtain is pulled back to expose his...

I'd often heard there were such people in the world, but you are the first I've personally experienced.

Has anyone done a full-length and in-depth study of your family's gene strings to find out when the damaged gene first manifested itself? My hunch is that it can be identified back to your cave-dwelling ancestors, during the time they were starving to death while others in their clan correctly interpreted the banging from the neighbor tribe as saying "There's food over here!".

You are hereby ordered into the standard therapy of being forced to listen to 14 hours a day of BD playing 8's on a hand. Your treatments will cease when you can recognize that wind players, like fans in the stands, couldn't keep from rushing a tempo if their life depended on it.

Sentence to begin immediately, Dude.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

and that bass drum clip, does nothing for me....nothing

Not hard enough? Not clean enough ... yet? Wish it was more like the drumming from your days?

And the Wizard's curtain is pulled back to expose his...

I'd often heard there were such people in the world, but you are the first I've personally experienced.

Has anyone done a full-length and in-depth study of your family's gene strings to find out when the damaged gene first manifested itself? My hunch is that it can be identified back to your cave-dwelling ancestors, during the time they were starving to death while others in their clan correctly interpreted the banging from the neighbor tribe as saying "There's food over here!".

You are hereby ordered into the standard therapy of being forced to listen to 14 hours a day of BD playing 8's on a hand. Your treatments will cease when you can recognize that wind players, like fans in the stands, couldn't keep from rushing a tempo if their life depended on it.

Sentence to begin immediately, Dude.

lol...very good......i still get on corps busses and collect sticks NOT to hear the BANGING on the seats.......as like guard people . drummers are a breed all their own .

HMMMMM maybe my ancestors were more advanced....we talked..while others were still grunting and banging...we also built massive fires, had very fashionable fur garbs and loved the pagentry of it all.......lol...we knew it was a visual world and banging just wasn't enough.......lol

but youre right a good beat is hard to ignore...and woods do need it

HEY youre also right..with a drum line tempo..why cant an audience keep time...hmmmmmmmmmmmm..thats so funny but true

Edited by GUARDLING

One issue I think untouched here when there's talk about "we didn't do that BITD" kinds of issues-

I really believe with modern rehearsal and pedagogy techniques, those 1972 people would have been just fine doing all of the stuff that's done now. Remember everything evolved- as Mel Stratton told me years ago- it doesn't matter what kind of wonderful ideas you have in design- if you don't know how you'll teach it, throw it the heck away as fast as you can and write something you can effectively teach to your students. Otherwise, everyone ends up frustrated and you look like a fool. People had to learn to educate better, make more effective use of time, all of this developed- even in school education and teaching theory/ed psych, a lot of things weren't as well thought out.

Teaching techniques also evolved- and if they were in place, all that could have been done then as well.

Pretty much

Simultaneous demand is a way for worn out designers that have stuck around well past their expiration date to grab points while continuing to pump out shows that lack the most basic GE because they have their head stuck up their ‘high art’ concept

Simultaneous demand is really a misnomer in this activity, it’s sort of a balanced equation that’s being going on for a long time….to do this, you give up a little of that.

I saw a snare cam run through from a top line recently and was struck at how little meat and playing was in the book yet they did boogie and strut a lot. Oh and the hands? Don’t get me started on the slop…my impression is it’s easier to hack through a bad dance with a drum than to clean difficult parts.

I really hate that tenor snare split that tried to hide the dirt on a feature while standing still, I know todays lines are scared and I’m calling you out

and that bass drum clip, does nothing for me....nothing...folks please don't look behind the curtians

The bass drum clips reminds me of:

Edited by jjeffeory