What would happen "if"

What would happen if the scoring system was eliminated completely and the corps were judged by the audience (just follow me and use your imagination). How do you think the corps shows/content would change? I believe DRASTICALLY. If the audience were the judges and determined who won night after night and the championships - you would have corps playing for the audience and not the judges and the content - I believe would be AMAZING, INCREDIBLE.

The Star of Indiana did this. They left DCI, developed an audience friendly show,designed for the paying audience with diverse tastes ( not for DCI judges ), took the same show around the world to world wide audiences, and it lasted longer than the DCI Star of Indiana DCI Corps did. Now, does this mean that I want audiences to decide placements and scores in DCI competition ? No, I don't. Would I like to see the judging sheets currently utilized tweaked a bit so that a Corps ability to have their theme communication abilities evaluated by the GE judges ? Absolutely. Any show that is well executed, but whose theme leaves audiences confused on the shows message should not be rewarded on the GE sheets as well as a Corps who theme is better communicated by contrast to audiences.. ( Notice I did not state " more entertaining "... I'm referring to something else entirely : " better communicated ".)

Edited by BRASSO

Depends on how the sheets are written.

Doesnt really matter how sheets are written...they have changed over the years and still have the same few at the top.....you can bet no matter what criteria is those at the top will still be there.....BD for instance will or cadets or whoever..will do what needs to be done to win yet again...cant fault them for that....now if one wants to get rid of competition then thats a different story ( maybe )....but then that really changes the activity way more then what some changes people are complaining about today.

• Like 1

Without the benefit of the sheets telling corps what they are to do, there would be a wide diversity of show design.

Problem is: kids want to be ranked.

It's a competition as well as an entertainment activity.

"Making the crowd roar" would soon turn into lion tamers, jello-wrestling, and Miley Cyrus.

OK... I'm fine with the lion tamers and the Jello wrestling.

But Miley Cyrus.... I'd be done with drum corps for good. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

What would happen if the scoring system was eliminated completely

The kids would flee the activity.

The kids care about competition. They care about excellence, and they buy the idea that the scores are a measure of their achievement. In return for their supreme dedication and expense, they deserve to be evaluated by people who deeply understand the most detailed nuances of their performance. They want a system that is as uniform, knowledgeable and independent from influence as can reasonably be constructed. They know it's not perfect. They know the alternative is worse.

The kids care about the cheers, too. But they understand that the crowd rewards the things that make drum corps drum corps: high demand, world-class musicianship and movement, extreme precision, passionate performance. And volume. Lots of volume.

The kids have judges in their HS shows. They consider DCI to be the major leagues, and they expect the major leagues to do everything, including judging, better than HS.

• Like 1

The kids would know it's bull#$%^. Rehearsals would especially suffer in certain geographic regions. Performance quality would dip a little. Show design wouldn't change because the design staffs would know it's a stupid rule and if they refuse to play to it, it will go away eventually. Everything would return to how it currently is in time.

chaos, plague, dogs and cats living together in sin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3ZOKDmorj0

Edited by fsubone

What would happen if the scoring system was eliminated completely .

Then paying thousands of dollars to ride on busses, sleep on gym floors, practice in 105 temperatures, etc to do 30 exhibitions in 7 weeks sounds like the description of young adulthood insanity to me. Forget it.. I'd rather paint houses, cut lawns, etc in the summer than do something as weird as that.

What would happen if the scoring system was eliminated completely and the corps were judged by the audience (just follow me and use your imagination). How do you think the corps shows/content would change? I believe DRASTICALLY. If the audience were the judges and determined who won night after night and the championships - you would have corps playing for the audience and not the judges and the content - I believe would be AMAZING, INCREDIBLE.

I have said for many years that modern day technology along with the audience should be brought into play as part of the judging system. Let fans vote on their smart phones for their favorite show & have those votes count for 5% of the score.

Without the benefit of the sheets telling corps what they are to do, there would be a wide diversity of show design.

Problem is: kids want to be ranked.

It's a competition as well as an entertainment activity.

"Making the crowd roar" would soon turn into lion tamers, jello-wrestling, and Miley Cyrus.

...............those items are in future proposals with a few changes to be more cost effective; it'll be Cyrus twerking a lion while doing jello shots.