Rain in DCI

Has a corps ever been rained on during there performance at the dci world championships?

Has a corps ever been rained on during there performance at the dci world championships?

You mean like in 1993 in Jackson, MS when the Madison Scouts were rained on during Strawberry Soup? Yes.

I think that may be the only time a corps has been rained on during their performance at World Championships finals. QF was rained out partially in Foxborough in '94.

Other years there's been rain problems and rain during the week. Open Class may have been rained out, but not World.

Edited by jjeffeory

I remember the gale force winds and rain that caused a lengthy delay at the '96 semi-finals in Orlando. (Those years in Orlando were often riddled with weather-related delays.) I recall that the Blue Knights had to stop their performance and clear the field after their opener because the weather was so bad. There were shakos flying all over the field and it was a mess. Good thing for them they got a re-do, because it wasn't going too well for them. They held onto their 12th place finish from quarterfinals as well. Not sure they would have without the do over.

Domes fixed that!

You mean like in 1993 in Jackson, MS when the Madison Scouts were rained on during Strawberry Soup? Yes.

I think that may be the only time a corps has been rained on during their performance at World Championships finals. QF was rained out partially in Foxborough in '94.

Other years there's been rain problems and rain during the week. Open Class may have been rained out, but not World.

First thing I thought of as well. Also, I was probably more amused than I should have been that it was Madisonscoutsfan who asked the question...

It was amazing how quickly that torrential downpour came up and left in Jackson. I was in the press box and left the windows open to walk to the next level down during break to get a snack. It came on so fast that when I ran back to close the windows, my notes were soaked. (Fortunately we didn't have laptop computers yet.)

The last part of Quarterfinals was rained out in Foxboro in 1994, so the top-8 corps coming into the show were seeded into Semifinals the next day.

The day after Finals in Kansas City in 1988 was a total deluge that could have seriously impacted Finals had it come a day earlier.

Finale of the inaugural DCI World Championship in 1972 was rained out. Many of the corps found out the scores while sitting in their buses.

• Like 1