SCV's announcement soon!

Really like the music, liked their take in 04 so am excited to see what they bring

Following a formula; the old Regiment team trying to Spartacus their way to a ring?

well, only if someone dies

Following a formula; the old Regiment team trying to Spartacus their way to a ring?

Well, only if someone dies.

Hmm. At the end of SCV's 2004 show, the Sultan doesn't make it out of Scheherazade's tunnel, where she takes control of his sword--so it seems we were supposed to think he died. At least a little death.

(Alfred HItchcock: "There are no symbols in North by Northwest. Oh, yes! One. The last shot ...")

• Like 1

Hmm. At the end of SCV's 2004 show, the Sultan doesn't make it out of Scheherazade's tunnel, where she takes control of his sword--so it seems we were supposed to think he died. At least a little death.

Ha, la petite mort. The way Scheherazade brandished his sword made me think the Sultan had been, well, beheaded.

Edited by quietcity
  • Like 1

Truth be told, I am a bit torn over SCV's selection of Scheherazade. On the plus side, the work is a perfect match for SCV's style. Scheherazade is a luscious piece of music, and if you have never heard the original in it's entirety, you owe it to yourself to do so right now (preferably with a high resolution recording, using good headphones or stereo gear). Rimsky-Korsakov is a superlative orchestrator, up there with Ottorino Respighi. Scheherazade is ear-candy from beginning to end, and spell-binding throughout.

But, programmatically, Scheherazade is a completely safe and predictable choice. It is a symphonic war-horse, performed over and over by orchestras great and small. It is used for commercials and figure skating competitions and quinceañeras and high school proms. SCV is pushing no artistic boundaries with this choice. They are playing to the audience, and perhaps thumbing their nose at the wild-eyed avant-gardians like BD and Crown.

Someone in the forums mentioned that it would be nice if SCV took the term "Vanguard" more seriously. I agree, though in truth, SCV's history has rarely reflected the cutting edge of programming innovation. Their 1999 show was a striking exception, and that show happens to be one of my favorite drum corps shows ever. I keep waiting for them to return to this route, but I think SCV's main concern at this point is to return to the top three. I sure hope they do, so next year they can play that Brian Eno / Fela Kuti show they keep promising....

• Like 2

wild-eyed avant-gardians like BD and Crown.

Crown? Avant Gardian? Ummmmm No! Sorry but no. They are only trying to ride the coat tails. All their productions for the last 5 years have been a Disney version of Avant Guard. They want to "kind of" seem artsy but still do the safe productions shooting for the lower common denominator. In essence they are still trying to "sell records" while playing the game.

• Like 4

As I recall, the first few weeks of last season were full of complaints from people about how Crown, in adapting a difficult Philip Glass opera and including extensive spoken vocals, had abandoned audience appeal in an attempt to win only the judges' hearts.

• Like 1